Author Topic: US star Carli Lloyd unhappy at artificial pitches at 2015 World Cup  (Read 10723 times)

AC-FC

United States international Carli Lloyd says she is disappointed at plans to play 2015 World Cup matches on artificial turf pitches.

Five of the six host venues in Canada  will play matches on plastic pitches, including the final in Vancouver.

Two-time Olympic gold medallist Lloyd says she fears for players' safety.

The 31-year-old told the BBC World Service: "As a soccer player we would all rather play on grass fields. My biggest concern is the injuries."

She added: "It takes several weeks to recover from playing on [artificial] turf. It's bad on your joints, not to mention all those rubber pellets.

USA win thrilling Olympic football final
"Those pellets are there to help you slide, sometimes in the grass there's no rubber pellets and your foot can get stuck and that's when injuries can happen.

"I just don't want soccer getting to that point where everybody's playing on artificial turf".

Offline raefil

• View Profile
Re: US star Carli Lloyd unhappy at artificial pitches at 2015 World Cup
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 04:46:55 PM »
The technology of the new 4g pitches has increased dramatically, i dont believe they even use rubber pellets on them now.

I remember, way back, when QPR and Preston North End had artificial turf put down, now that was dreadful stuff.