Author Topic: Continental Cup  (Read 4667 times)

AC-FC

Continental Cup
« on: March 23, 2013, 08:19:47 PM »
So far, nothing to suggest that Liverpool are going to set the WSL alight this season - a drab bush goalless first half, just the possible sending off of Johnson to talk about

AC-FC

Re: Continental Cup
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:08:35 PM »
Just as Everton were looking threatening, they give away a silly penalty which might just  be enough but Everton are fighting hard-

AC-FC

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:17:22 PM »
Woo hoo - 1-1

Offline Garrincha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:21:55 PM »

Liverpool looked a little toothless up front, thought Tash Dowie had a decent game, but she's never going to be the focal point up top. Goals this season will most likely be spread around, Fara being their leading scorer.

I don't know why the telly was going on about Whitney Engen giving the dodgy free kick away, it was obvious from where the Ref wanted the kick taken, that the infringement was before that by Fara Williams on Toni Duggan.

After watching tonights game I don't reckon Arsenal or Brum will have their Champions league places threatened by either of these teams.

AC-FC

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 10:59:54 PM »
Must admit I didn't see the first foul but the second one was a but harsh - brownie had a great game which emphasised why she should start England's next game- the penalty was very harsh as the ball was well away from dowie and I think she dived to get the penalty although brownie made contact but the ref didn't have a great game imo

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 11:25:26 PM »
rachel brown kept everton in a very poor game, the liverpool goal was hardly threatened, how a short person could score a goal against liverpool is another story.
everton pressed liverpool and had lots of youngsters with speed, who to be fair were up for the fight.
the strength of liverpool is in the attack, but the two full backs were beaten several times.
i cant see them struggling in the centre back position though.
fara williams seemed off the pace, dowie seemed to have lost weight and strength, and the long ball was used several times by both teams.
i cant believe that this is an indication of how the wsl will go this year, it was boring park stuff.
as an excuse for both teams the artificial turf was icy and very quick, this led to a frustrating evening of fast balls being too fast to catch.
this was definitely a win win situation for the younger players with fast feet.
i expect liverpool to be much much better on grass, but i suspect it may take a few games for them to improve "at home".

Offline tino

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 08:38:31 AM »
I saw all of Liverpool's preseason games and how they played last night is not even close to their potential best. They play a passing game; but Everton's pressing made it difficult for most of the 90 and the icy pitch made it difficult from start to finish. With more time they'll work out a solution to heavy pressing, and I've seen enough to suggest they're already getting to grips with that artificial pitch and if it hadn't resembled an ice rink last night they'd have been far more comfortable on it. They're a work in progress for sure but they'll get there, and when they do they'll be great.

A fair result in the end I think, but definitely not as good a game as it could have been.

AC-FC

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 08:58:10 AM »
I agree with bilbo and Tino but Liverpool will need more quality to be serious title contenders- they will get more points than last season for sure but their top stars will have to shine week in week out and if they don't we will see what we did last night- dont know why more players don't try high shots against quantril. I guess my real concern for arsenal is they have not brought anyone in to strengthen.

Offline cardy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 07:52:44 AM »
Does anyone know where final is?

Sylvain

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 08:42:11 AM »
The FA does not want to tell us  ;)

Offline cardy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 09:20:27 AM »
 :) I won't go then!

Sylvain

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 09:49:53 AM »
Same with me unless the game is played in South West London, some of us have to work on Fridays, the FA seem to have forgotten lol 

AC-FC

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 10:36:05 AM »
its a micky mouse tournie anyway- not busting a gut to get there no matter where it is played......

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 11:52:09 AM »
Theyll probably play it at Burton again, its easy for the suits to get there from SGP.

AC-FC

Re: Continental Cup - Not a top flight competition
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 03:08:50 PM »
so Stoney does not think this a top flight competition according to her interview on the BBC website - if its a competition for clubs in the top flight only, what is it then?

She still wants to win it to make a good ending to her season  but its not really that important...........she confused, or what?

AC-FC

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 03:41:38 PM »
since I pointed it out the BCC- they have amended the website....

Sylvain

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 05:08:13 PM »
I bet it will end up with a penalty shoot-out  ;)

Offline charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 07:32:22 AM »
With 10/11 goalkeepers!

Sylvain

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »
3 games between the 2 teams this season : 3 draws, definitely a 50/50 game tonight and the first team scoring will make a giant leap towards winning the trophy.

Both side have a clear gameplan and will look to execute it properly.  Tactically a very interesting game. Because defending as a team is a tough thing to do otherwise all the games would end up 0-0. Goals happen because mistakes are made.

AC-FC

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 10:17:28 AM »
Lincoln on penalties