Author Topic: Is there an FA hypocrisy on selecting English players studying in the USA ?  (Read 1167 times)

Sylvain

I heard some funny stuff about the FA criteria for selection in the U19 team, if someone can enlight me on the following :

2 years ago, when first coming into the U19s set up, it was made clear to ALL the girls that if any had plans of going to America to play football and study that they would automatically be excluded from any England Camps and would never be considered for selection again. I heard it from many sources

At that time several of the players had offers of 100% scholarships on the table. The majority turned them down. Leah Galton and Paige Eli, however, went ahead and pursued their studies and sure enough are no longer in the set up. I remember asking someone why Leah Galton was not selected any more after seeing her play against us in Holland.

Now an Australian girl has been drafted in, apparently never been to a camp, not a single training session and she made clear on her twitter profile that  she will be going on to Harvard University to study.
Clearly in contradiction with what has been said before by the FA.

It looks to me it makes a mockery of all the work and commitment thats been put in over the years and also the fact that the majority of the girls have sacrificed their dreams of going to America.
I have been told an email has been sent to all american colleges, and probably around the world, asking if there are any girls that may have English roots that could be recomended for the England u19s set up.  :o
So there we have it, basically a total admission by the FA that the Centre of Excellence system, despite the millions that have been put in, are not really producing the players that are needed.

So now we have in the  England 1st team:  Karen Bardsley  (American)
U23                                                   :  Ashley Baker     (American)
U19                                                   :  Lizzie Durack     (Australian)

English born keepers are a dying breed, it seems. Maybe I am totally wrong about the process but that kind of stuff seems strange  ???

Offline quackers

• View Profile
Whoa whoa, hang on here!!

So let me get this correct.  England say to their girls they arent allowed to study in America? Yet this, from the girls twitter profile clearly says this:

Lizzie Durack
@LizzieDfootball
Goalkeeper starting Harvard 2013, with England U19s and Everton Ladies FC :D

Hey come on thats a disgrace, a quick search on the girl reveals shes already played for Australia in the u17s world cup aswell.

Youve got it spot on Sylvain something totally not quite right about this at all, also it begs the question, "Are Everton benefiting from England paying for the girl to come over here aswell?" No coincidence that Keith Marley is still in Evertons set up.

Sorry england youre leaving yourselves open to too many accusations here.

49yardtapin

still begs the question who will be the everton no.2 this season...assume Lizzie may be there for the 1st half of the season but when will she need to make the move to the US?

Offline law10

• View Profile
Contrasted to Canada where the messaging to players from the national program is to leave the country at all levels including university and club.

The correct answer is of course no bias and selecting the best players, but it's not a utopian world.  Women's national football requires extended camps and sporadic games and if you're leaving the UK and stateside for 3/4 of the year it becomes expensive to bring you back (+ repeatedly + for four years + on limited program funding).  The NCAA has also been known to not release international players, even in tournaments where Americans are released.

The FA are simply being realists.  If the female Pele was a UC Santa Cruz Banana Slug or a Campbell University Fighting Camel, there's 0.0% chance she wouldn't be on the field.  But for everyone else the message is their job is to manage their budget and portfolio and you're an expensive and risky investment.