Author Topic: Abondoning games?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline #1

• View Profile
Abondoning games?
« on: January 07, 2013, 11:07:56 AM »
Hi all
Can anyone help? Are there any hard and fast rules for abandoning games? Two examples;
1 - COE game - a player was stretchered off on a spine board a few weeks back with about 25 mins to play. The game was halted for about 40  mins while player was taken care of and ambulance took her to A&E. The game was continued.
2 - Womens Premier League game - similar situation; player was stretchered off with about 8 mins to play. Again, the game was halted for about 1/2 hour. The game was abandoned.

Firstly I get the difference between WPL and COE, but they are still fundamantally league games, but why was one abandoned and one continued. Surely the same rules apply?

49yardtapin

Re: Abondoning games?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 11:22:17 AM »
Believe it's down to the referees discretion, from what I know regarding yesterdays game the referee decided to abandon the match based on the length on time waiting for the ambulance. Seems Sunderland were keen to stop the game but City happy to continue.

I too have been involved in games where there has been a wait for just this type of unfortunate stoppage, in one case a broken leg (I came on to replace the player) waiting 40 mins but the game restarted and was completed.

Does seem a shame to stop the game with 6 mins of normal time to go only to probably do the 90 all over again (which favours the team that was losing), doesn't seem right does it?

the FA rules are a bit lightweight on this offering 3 possible outcomes:

13.3 All matches shall be of ninety minutes' duration but any Competition match which from any cause whatever falls short of 90 minutes' duration may be ordered to count as a completed fixture or be replayed in full or in part as the Management Committee may in their absolute discretion determine.  

Now unsure if these apply in womens football but in a case of where funds were limited then surely with the time left it seems also financially not viable to replay? What if this was Sunderland v Portsmouth?

Offline andydinger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 11:45:12 AM »
Was the difference who was stretchered off? Am I right in thinking that in the COE game it was an outfielder and in the WPL game it was the goalie? In the latter case if they didn't have a replacement on the bench or perhaps any subs left, the ref might take that into account when deciding if an unfair advantage would have accrued to one side or the other...

49yardtapin

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 02:46:27 PM »
Shouldn't make a difference, City's match report says they offered to play on, but Sunderland wanted to stop the game.