Author Topic: Toughest fight yet for Cecilie Brækhus  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Toughest fight yet for Cecilie Brækhus
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:49:42 AM »
Norway's 'First Lady' had her toughest fight yet on Saturday against the knockout-queen Anne Sophie Mathis.

"A tough match to watch": this was the verdict from Jorunn Brækhus after her daughter's title fight in Fredrikshavn, Denmark late on Saturday.  "We saw what happened to Holly Holm; she took a beating: we were afraid the same would happen to Cecilie".  Brækhus had a clear win on points over ten rounds and now has won all 21 of her professional fights with five knockouts.

Jorunn and husband Martin watched as their daughter entered the ring with the knock-out queen, Anne Sophie Mathis, for the most difficult fight of her career.  "It was a tough match to watch and we were not confident about how it would go.  When you sit and watch a fight like that you have many feelings.  We had seen what happened to Holly Holm in her fight with Mathis, and there was a lot of talk about her battling style", said Jorunn.  "After a while we realised Cecilie would get through it - that was a huge relief", said the anxious mother.

The couple live in Sandviken, and knew nothing of boxing until one day their daughter came home and said she had started kick-boxing.  She had been training without saying anything until then.  "It was something completely unknown to us.  We expected her to play team sports.  But we realised that Cecilie is an individualist, and what she has achieved is quite fantastic.  It has given us some excitement is our lives.  Now we travel around to watch her in places we would never have visited", said Jorunn.

Cecilia Brækhus said the fight with Mathis was by some way the toughest she has been in.  "I was in my best form.  If I had done this fight when it was originally scheduled in March, it would have been 'good night'".  Brækhus had an injury and only an operation fixed the problem.

When the world ranking was updated on Sunday Holm was number one and Brækhus number two in welterweight.  Before the fight Brækhus had been number three behind Holm and Mathis.  Holm remains top despite a knockout by Mathis in New Mexico last December, but Holm won the return fight in June, after a doubious win on points.

In Sunday's thriller Brækhus showed she can beat the best.  Mathis, with 22 knockouts, has been reckoned the world's best woman boxer regardless of weight.  "It was a really tough match, my most difficult fight.  Mathis was well up for ten rounds.  She caught me with a couple of punches to the body.  I am glad it was a clear win without any need for a long discussion by the referees", she said.

Brækhus said she must continue to meet the best boxers to keep her motivation.  "I am at the stage where I have to meet the best.  Whether or not I go up a weight class I don't know", she said.  On Sunday morning she went back to Berlin with Team Sauerland, but now she will have a holiday and spend some time at home in Bergen.

Jørn-Arne Tomasgard Article and more photos plus highlights video: http://sport.bt.no/sport/boksing/article251618.ece  

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:08:07 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
A visitor for Mads (9)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 04:06:58 PM »
Nine-year-old Mads Myrvold is a boxing fan who watched the big fight in which Cecilia Brækhus (31) beat Anne-Sophie Mathis (35) on September 22.  

It was the biggest fight of Brækhus's career and her parents were at the ringside afraid that their daughter would take a beating from the 'knockout queen'.  But 600,000 viewers watched on TV as the Norwegian 'First Lady' from Bergen took a decisive win on points over ten rounds.

Among them was Mads.  The fight caught his imagination and he decided to try out his own skills in some shadow-boxing in the bathroom at home in Drammen afterwards.  It did not go well.  "I hit the basin hard with my right hand and the pain was really bad", he said, demonstrating how it happened.

Gry Myrvold told how her son did not care to say how the accident happened until he was in hospital waiting to be plastered up.  "He thought it was a bit emabarrassing", she told VG Nett.  But she put a picture of her son on facebook, which was seen by Brækhus who decided to pay a surprise visit to his home when she was in Oslo on holiday after the fight.

"He looked in great shape in the picture so I thought it would be fun to meet him", said Brækhus as she prepared to ring the doorbell with the cameras running.

Mads smiled broadly when he realised what was happening and he was only too pleased to re-enact his adventure for VG.

The champ presented him with a pair of her gloves from a previous fight.  "It's important to use the right gear when you are training, and there must be no more boxing with the basin", said Brækhus, as she invited the nine-year-old and his parents to her next fight, when she defends her world titles, perhaps in the New Year.

Video of the visit and other clips: http://www.vg.no/sport/boksing/artikkel.php?artid=10062107

Cecilie Brækhus is in a battle with the tax authorities in Norway even though she has lived in Berlin since 2008 and boxing is illegal in Norway.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:50:41 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.