Author Topic: WSL Div 2  (Read 49322 times)

Offline #1

• View Profile
Re: WSL Div 2
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2012, 12:45:41 PM »
OK, someone help me - are the FA truly going to let all clubs outside of the 20 Beacon Clubs die off? Will the WPL as we know it simply cease to exist?
Interesting point re Sunderland / Leeds though - two very strong teams who (imho) would happily live in WSL 1 .

So my original query basically means that another 12 clubs are sought for WSL 2, and the next tier from there will be the 4 Combination leagues.....maybe?

Hardly a grand plan to encourage football or am I missing something?

49yardtapin

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 12:57:01 PM »
I dont hink it will 20 'beacon' clubs straight away. More like 8 WSL 1 and 10 WSL 2. Then more expansion in the run up to 2018. Promotion and relegation wont exist until season 2015 and even then to get promotion (other than winning the league) the club in question will have to hit WSL 1 criteria (this criteria is not avilable until November BTW). Also there will be a youth/reserve WSL assume all next best players will be here then it leave just recreational players for the lower league teams.

Assuming the costs involved, there are Northern/Southern Premier league teams who themselves wouldn't be able to afford National Prem League football as it stands. So these teams may be happy with what is offered outside WSL 2. I think its best to wait for the criteria for WSL 1/2 to be published to see how things lie.

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 05:18:15 PM »
OK, someone help me - are the FA truly going to let all clubs outside of the 20 Beacon Clubs die off? Will the WPL as we know it simply cease to exist?
Interesting point re Sunderland / Leeds though - two very strong teams who (imho) would happily live in WSL 1 .

So my original query basically means that another 12 clubs are sought for WSL 2, and the next tier from there will be the 4 Combination leagues.....maybe?

Hardly a grand plan to encourage football or am I missing something?

Not even the F A could present a plan which sought to kill off the 19/20 clubs in the WPL which don't make WSL2 plus the 40 or more clubs in the Combinations.

Could they ??

I hope that winter football will carry on with the top level being the Northern and Southern divisions. The regional Combinations will feed into this as they have always done.

However, none of this is contained in the document 'Game Changer' It does talk about setting up a NEW

Women's League and Competition Unit

which will decide on the shape of the pyramid post 2014.

johnnyramone

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2012, 07:28:11 PM »
Couldn't they Pat?   The WSL 2 is to be a platform for U19 / U23 players not currently playing in WSL 1.  The FA haven't done a thing for the WPL this last 2 years, no League/Cup sponsor or even a Twitter account.

Now they want the clubs to get the funds together to join the revolution.  Out of the 29 WPL clubs, Manchester City are probably odds on in being placed (as team 11) in WSL 1, with Leeds or Sunderland battling out for the other place.

Looks like Spurs are gearing up for a bid and will no doubt get the backing to sign players.  Out of the 29 WPL clubs it's anybodies guess which 10 will get the licence for 2014.

What happens to the rest? Well, the Game Changer document, doesn't mention the WPL at all, it just mentions County Leagues.  This is an opportunity for women's football to be re-structured (below WSL) in a way that will benefit the clubs and promote the game as a national spectator sport.

Will the FA do it? Not sure if they will.  The FA does need these clubs, as they host the CofE's and enter it's biggest competition.

Whether they are interested in developing Women's Football outside of WSL is another matter. 

It'll probably be another opportunity missed. They are only concerned about the England team not the development of the game as a whole. 

Without 'the Dream', football dies a little.  The clubs that get left behind will just be left to struggle on.

If a good player comes along, then the WSL will just come and 'cherry pick' them without a thought for the club and no compensation will be offered in return. 

Sheff Wed and Rochdale have already gone this year, more clubs will have to decide if it's worth trying to compete in the long term.

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2012, 08:35:27 PM »
Sheff Wed and Rochdale have already gone this year, more clubs will have to decide if it's worth trying to compete in the long term.

And Havant and Waterlooville down my way.

As you know, I go to lots of these clubs and it would be dreadful if the likes of Yeovil, Pompey, Watford, Wolves, Reading West Ham and countless others just withered away.

I really hope they do the right thing and support them going forward into this bright new era..

49yardtapin

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2012, 11:15:31 PM »
Couldn't they Pat?   The WSL 2 is to be a platform for U19 / U23 players not currently playing in WSL 1.  The FA haven't done a thing for the WPL this last 2 years, no League/Cup sponsor or even a Twitter account.

Now they want the clubs to get the funds together to join the revolution.  Out of the 29 WPL clubs, Manchester City are probably odds on in being placed (as team 11) in WSL 1, with Leeds or Sunderland battling out for the other place.

Looks like Spurs are gearing up for a bid and will no doubt get the backing to sign players.  Out of the 29 WPL clubs it's anybodies guess which 10 will get the licence for 2014.
What's team 11?, my understanding is that WSL will be 8 teams and WSL 2 will be 10 teams, therefore it will take a current WSL team to be sent to div 2 and replaced for say Man City to go in.

It will be interesting to know when do all the clubs find out? end of WSL season 3? leaves them little time to prepare and for those team who dont get in wsl 2 then do they play winter football? because that 2013-14 season should already be underway, logistical nightmare!

49yardtapin

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2012, 07:08:52 AM »
Also isn't relegation and promotion from northern/southern and national divs a bit pointless now?

Sylvain

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2012, 08:26:33 AM »
It is indeed even the table position in the national division as marketing/money/whatever dark criteria will decide who playd in WSL Div 1&2

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2012, 09:23:12 AM »
It is indeed even the table position in the national division as marketing/money/whatever dark criteria will decide who playd in WSL Div 1&2

What if insufficient applications fail to meet criteria? or if too few clubs apply for WSL2?

would the FA be allowed to change men's game top tiers to a summer league in the same fashion?

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »
Also isn't relegation and promotion from northern/southern and national divs a bit pointless now?

It does seem so, except for relegation from the Southern or Northern to the Combinations and promotion from the Combinations.

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2012, 10:15:31 AM »
Couldn't they Pat?   The WSL 2 is to be a platform for U19 / U23 players not currently playing in WSL 1. 
I dont see any problem whatever in creating a platform where young players can gain experience of playing football at a high level.  I know there are some managers who are reluctant to play young players but surprised to hear that comment coming from a supporter.  If we are to progress as a game I see it as being essential that young players have somewhere to go after the centre systems, far too many are being lost out of the game already.

Sylvain

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2012, 12:12:20 PM »
What if insufficient applications fail to meet criteria? or if too few clubs apply for WSL2?

would the FA be allowed to change men's game top tiers to a summer league in the same fashion?

It's a segment differentiation, and you bet if not enough teams meet the criteria, well the division 2 will have less teams lol

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2012, 01:38:12 PM »

is that statement a double negative? :-\

Sylvain

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2012, 07:43:32 AM »
From the 8 WSL current side, I think 5 will be retained and 3 might be relegated to division 2. Can see Man City get promoted because they will have financial backing and infrastructure. Hopefully Leeds and Sunderland will have enough money as well as everybody knows they are miles ahead of everyone elsea in the National division.

Regarding relegated teams. I think 4 teams are safe : Arsenal, Liverpool, Birmingham and Bristol. For financial and organisation reasons, they seem very stable.

Teams at risk :
 Doncaster on the football side if the result dont go their way for a 3rd year running.
Chelsea if the parents club does not fund adequately the team.
Lincoln on the football side as well. Pitch and lack of results.
Everton on the football and money side as well.

In the end, the FA might give a 4th year to the same 8 teams but that would be surprising.

49yardtapin

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2012, 10:21:26 AM »
Regarding the National Prem, this season will show whcih players will be able to step up to WSL level, based on finishing positions etc, teams will use this to gauge the readiness of their players.

However I don't think any team, City included will be going anywhere near the budget of Arsenal.

Have Lincoln struggled, maybe lower points than last season but below B'ham and above Donny the lague is competitive, remember you will always have one standout team each season.

Offline Garrincha

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »

It’ll be a very similar group of players that play in WSL 2013 that will again play in WSL1 2014, irrespective of who’s shirt they are wearing. The better players will inevitably follow the cash.
Even Sunderland, who are the best of the rest, will need to strengthen considerably to survive.

Offline #1

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2012, 06:11:06 PM »
"Even Sunderland, who are the best of the rest, will need to strengthen considerably to survive."

.. not sure that I agree with that statement. IMHO, I think Sunderland would not be embarrassed in the WSL as it stands; I reckon mid table from what I've seen.

The strange thing is that I'm not sure why Sunderland were not originally included in the WSL anyway. I've heard different things from inadequate business plan to having their place awarded to another side who claimed that they had the £500K capital needed; and when it was awarded, that disappeared (I've even heard that it was too far North, as players would not get back from their substantive jobs early enough after away games). If anyone can clarify I'd be really interested - cheers

49yardtapin

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2012, 06:49:02 PM »
What I heard was that the business plan was fine, and they only required £50,000 from the FA not the full £70,000 due to being funded ok, apparently the FA weren't happy with this and we're forcing them to take the full amount even though they said they were fine due to how their business plan was. Have heard no other reasons.

Whether you think its strange or not, well...

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2012, 07:19:03 PM »
where did the 500 k figure come from?
wasn't the required amount 70k and 70k funding?
on the subject of sunderland, i only saw them play once and the did not disgrace themselves,
im not sure but do they have a large squad to choose from? as i suppose once wsl status is achieved, there would be a squad cap.

Sylvain

« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »
What I was told at the times is Sunderland presented a budget based on what they could have and spend and that was rejected as too low. Others apparently presented a bigger budget with artificially enhanced figures and got into the WSL.

As the FA never thought of transparency in term of showing why they choose the team. We will never know the truth sadly.

And the minimum requested was to match the FA's 70k not 500k something mega rich like Lincoln only can afford  :P or a club backed by their men's side.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:28:01 PM by Sylvain »