Author Topic: WSL Div 2  (Read 57416 times)

Offline John

• View Profile
Re: WSL Div 2
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 06:39:40 PM »
Q: With more than 80,000 watching the women's Olympic final, do you believe high attendances can be achieved in the near future? If so, how are clubs trying to do this? What is the FA doing to help these clubs?

A: Yes - but we need to manage expectations. With the might and budget of the Olympic movement, four years planning went into getting 72,000 at Wembley for an iconic match featuring England and Brazil.

She does not seem to know the difference between GB and England :o
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 08:39:28 PM »
 The Women's Super League has just completed its second season, with the league seeing a 10% increase in attendances on the 2011-12 campaign. Nearly all of which can be put down to ONE MATCH 5052 at the Emirates ::)

Clubs such as WSL title winners Arsenal, Birmingham and Bristol Academy are all seeing regular gates of more than 500 per match and the hope is at the start of the 2013 campaign the majority of WSL clubs will attain those size of crowds... Academy's core attendance is actually 280-320 which they recorded for 5 of the 7 home games :)

We have seen an increase in league attendances post Olympics, for the big showcase and local derby fixtures (over 1,000 for Liverpool v Everton, 2,500 for the FA WSL Continental Cup Final between Arsenal and Birmingham) But very little effect elsewhere especially at Staines !

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 10:31:21 PM »
hi pat, yes its not perfect but a slight increase is better than a decrease, i think the football has got better though which is a plus.

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 09:12:59 AM »
hi pat, yes its not perfect but a slight increase is better than a decrease, i think the football has got better though which is a plus.

My point is that the Emirates game added 91 to the average for every other game..56 matches in the WSL..that is about 20% of a 400 average crowd.
In fact, attendances were DOWN for most clubs for most games, artificially boosted by one freak match.

My main point is that the F A will launch a series of statements over the next week, leading up to their big conference on the 24th, each one designed to hide the truth.

As for the football, I personally preferred the first season when the title was a genuine contest

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 10:10:40 AM »
i agree with you, there is only a tiny increase but how can it be built on?
and yes the statements will be using all of the superlatives possible to show that the bigwigs are doing their jobs.

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 06:44:39 PM »
i agree with you, there is only a tiny increase but how can it be built on?
and yes the statements will be using all of the superlatives possible to show that the bigwigs are doing their jobs.

For me, one key idea is that every club should get to play at least one game a season at a major stadium, the nearest linked men's ground.

Not every game, like Doncaster, but a single well prepared event. Academy got 1550 on a week night for their CL match at Ashton Gate. Imagine the crowds at Anfield, Goodison, Stamford Bridge, St Andrews for WSL games, especially for those priced out of men's football at these grounds.

Elee Timp

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 08:03:39 PM »

My point is that the Emirates game added 91 to the average for every other game..56 matches in the WSL..that is about 20% of a 400 average crowd.
In fact, attendances were DOWN for most clubs for most games, artificially boosted by one freak match.

My main point is that the F A will launch a series of statements over the next week, leading up to their big conference on the 24th, each one designed to hide the truth.

As for the football, I personally preferred the first season when the title was a genuine contest

What a pleasure and a relief to read some good sense posted on here!

The FA have been not only incompetent, but disingenuous in the extreme - always grasping desperate excuses after the event.

A total lack of leadership and direction has been shown, which WON'T be covered up by dubious statistics.

They remind me of someone in the park trying to make their dog appear obidient by telling it to do whatever it's doing anyway.

Roll in the mud! Bark at folk! Sniff that other dog's butt!

Heads should roll for the WSL fiasco but we'll get more tall tales and self-congratulation...

49yardtapin

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 09:46:59 AM »
Well today is the day (but with the usual FA Fanfare of Women's Football you wouldn't know it)

'Game Changer' is the launch of the FA's new 5 year plan for Women's Football, launched with Claire Balding later on, we will have more news on the future of the game.

We will however see how much the FA pushes this on their media channels...

Sylvain

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 11:29:18 AM »

AC-FC

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 02:44:42 PM »
be interesting to see the size of the crowd when England play their friendly at Wembley next year...

Sylvain

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 02:45:53 PM »
Wembley ? is it for the France game in April ?

AC-FC

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 02:49:28 PM »
Not sure of opposition but heard a match was to be played there to celebrate the 150 year history of FA........all the suits will be there as they remeber being there when it was launched.....allegedly... ;D

johnnyramone

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 04:53:33 PM »
The expansion of WSL (to 10) clubs and the new WSL 2 means that Women's Football in England will be basically just 20 'BEACON' clubs.

The structure in the document, refers to clubs outside WSL as County clubs.  With 29 clubs in the WPL Leagues,  between 15 - 20 of these clubs will have a realistic chance of applying for a place.  What happens to the clubs that are rejected / don't apply?

In the WPL North, clubs like Sheffield FC (non-league) and Preston North End are unlikely to apply (unless they get major backing).

In the National, questions (again) need to be asked if Leeds United and Sunderland have the financial backing to apply.

We know that Man City have big plans. Blackburn Rovers have plans in place to launch a bid,but what about the likes of Watford, Reading, Portsmouth, Derby and West Brom etc.  Not to mention, the likes of Spurs, Ipswich, Norwich, West Ham and Millwall.

What happens to clubs that don't make it into WSL 2?  Imagine if Sunderland and Leeds don't get into WSL 2 due to not having the financial security in place. 

Players will all leave for wealthier clubs and Sunderland don't get a penny in compensation.

Basically, clubs outside WSL are finished, consigned to recreational football.  This could just be the beginning of the end for alot of clubs.

Sylvain

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 08:05:32 PM »
Basically, clubs outside WSL are finished, consigned to recreational football.  This could just be the beginning of the end for alot of clubs.
True, the FA doesn't seem to cater for those. Very strange.

49yardtapin

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 07:19:35 AM »
It appears northern and southern divs will continue with those not in wsl 1/2 moving up. To be honest not a lot of clubs have the money for a new national division underneath the wsl 2 so it'll be regional. the youth/reserves wsl will contain better players from the coe's. Application are out in november as are the criteria for entry into wsl 1/2.

johnnyramone

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 05:11:32 PM »
Many clubs in the EPL and Championship (those with wealthy owners) could put money into bids for WSL 2.  Blackpool, Norwich City, Ipswich Town, Villa etc could all be tempted to do what Lincoln did and try and buy a place in the WSL.

Whatever happens, the teams below the WSL 2 need to play in the summer.  If the FA wants the game to be a spectator sport rather than just an Athletic Pursuit or hobby for women.

The game needs to be restructured below WSL to give clubs a realistic chance of developing.  Otherwise more clubs will go the way of Sheff Wed and Rochdale and just give up the struggle.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 05:37:09 PM by johnnyramone »

49yardtapin

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2012, 09:31:46 AM »
Think all women's football will move to 'summer' as I hope youth football will as well.

As well as the concerns with what will happen below the WSL, what is the provision for at least 20 clubs finding decent facilities to play at due to all other football clubs being in the off season? We all know how precious groundmen are...  ;D

AC-FC

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 10:01:47 AM »
I dont really like summer football which is why I have not been to as many games in the WSL as I used to go to when the 'old' system was in play.....next season will determine whether the new model and the impact of the Olympics has had a positive effect or not.

I understand that alot of people want the womens game to be more of a level playing field to stop the likes of any one team dominating and winning most of the silverware, but so far, it has not happened and not sure which sport in England is at the level playing field stage.......sport is competitive and as such each team in the WSL will do all they can to be the best.....

The nearest you get to a level playing field north of the border is Glasgow City FC playing on astro turf...... ;D

Offline allibee

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »
Brighton & Hove Albion WFC will be applying for WSL status... allegedly. Though currently they would be hard pushed to succeed there without adding half of Portsmouth's players