Author Topic: Arsenal V Blackburn Rovers  (Read 3561 times)

Offline raefil

• View Profile
Arsenal V Blackburn Rovers
« on: July 11, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »
Saturday 25th August.  u13s - u17s.   

Offline mrmad

• View Profile
Re: Arsenal V Blackburn Rovers
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »
Kick-off 2pm at Hatfield. Should be an interesting game with both teams thinking that they are particularly strong this season.

One to watch if you live nearby?

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »
Not too sure about the younger age groups but I think Rovers u17 age group look strong this season, will be interesting to see the result of this one.

Offline happyfeet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 02:55:32 PM »
Beware Blackburn, Arsenal were very impressive last weekend

Offline socrates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 03:29:26 PM »
Arsenal 4 Blackburn 3

Couldn't make it to the game but this is the feedback I've had:

Great game between 2 very good sides. Blackburn the better of the 2 ( made most of the clear-cut chances, Arsenal close with several long range efforts).

Arsenal missing several girls as only had a couple of subs, Blackburn using game as pre-season warm-up as they made at least 18 player changes during the course of the match ( 6 going off at a time apparently).

Arsenal did well to come back from 2-0 and 3-1 down. Match decided in last 15 mins when Blackburn missed 3 or 4 easy chances to score  and put the game out of Arsenal's reach and then in last 3 mins Arsenal awarded a very dodgy penalty by a referee who had been very poor throughout.

Sounds like Arsenal might not be the team to beat this season afterall. Apparently Blackburn play Villa in a few weeks so we might have a better idea of how good they might be after that one? I believe Arsenal beat Villa 2-1 the other week?

Anybody out there actually at the game?

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »
i think blackburn rovers u17 have had a strong team for years, arsenal till last season seemed unplayable, the idea is that teams become better by playing each other.
i am still amazed by the passing quality of these girls, coaching to me seems to be improving, and girls enjoy the challenges set, (except the yoyo ).

Offline Footy Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 07:07:25 PM »
The game was a great example of high quality girls football, overall I think that Blackburn looked the stronger side as they certainly created more clear cut chances throughout the game and with more clinical finishing could well have had come out winners by several goals. Arsenal certainly played some excellent passing football and took their chances well.
The previous comments about the referee being poor were correct, with numerous decisions being awarded which caused puzzlement from both the players and supporters alike, with the penalty which ultimately decided the game being one of them.
Throughout the game Blackburn rotated all of the 18 girl squad, changing 6 or 7 players at a time - every 20 minutes or so, this contrasted to Arsenal’s approach who had a smaller squad available and only changed single players throughout the game. It would be interesting to see how the teams compare in a competitive game with both teams putting forward what they consider to be their best teams.
One thing that was apparent was that with the two teams being so closely matched you would not have expected one of the teams to have 4 times more England players than the other? This is not intended as any disrespect to any of the Arsenal players, but more to question the selection process of the National team, which in my opinion clearly shows that the scouting system at U17 level does not identify the talent available across the whole of the C of E programme.

Offline quackers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 09:46:18 PM »
Its that old Southern bias rearing its head once again. Lois Fidler is based in London with close contacts with Arsenal so no way that clubs North of Watford Gap will ever get a fair look in.

Sad but true.

Sylvain

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 07:18:19 AM »
Indeed, she is very good friend with Kelly Smith as disclosed in Kelly's autobiography.

49yardtapin

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 10:28:25 AM »
Isn't Harvey the u17s assistant...