Author Topic: And Them  (Read 1006 times)

AC-FC

And Them
« on: July 27, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
Imo the singing of the National Anthem should be optional and not compulsory but if a member of the Womens Team England squad really did say that she was proud to be representing Scotland at the Olympics then that steps over the line. My view is that the players are representing Great Britain on this ocassion and not their own country and this remark, if true, flies in the face of the spirit of the Games and says nothing of the unity within the team.

This could be why this player has looked a little isolated on the pitch at times and has thus far not played to her usual high level standard.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
Re: And Them
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with the remark tbh as she is representing Scotland for Team GB. I think you've read into it wrong.

It's just like if a women was from Doncaster who played for Doncaster Belles, she would be representing both the area and the club. Same thing but on a bigger scale as she's talking about her country.

In fact Mick Mulhern tweeted a good luck message to Jill Scott and Steph Houghton saying they were "representing Sunderland", and they haven't played for Sunderland for years. But it's a fair comment as they're local girls who started their careers at Sunderland so they are representing the area and the club.

She's just saying she's proud to be part of the Scottish contingent.
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

AC-FC

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 11:44:32 AM »
Totally disagree with you - playing for your local club, your Country is another matter all together - this is Team GB...Little is not representing Scotland in Team GB, she is representing Team GB..........end of story.

When Shearer  was bangin them in for England, I never heard anyone say he was banging them in for Newcastle, Southampton, Blackburn or Wallsend Boys Club........he was banging them in for England...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:56:13 AM by AC-FC »

Sylvain

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 11:56:36 AM »
This could be why this player has looked a little isolated on the pitch at times and has thus far not played to her usual high level standard.
Her first half was good against New-Zealand, I do wonder why Powell subbed her  :o. At least the ENglish players decided to give her the ball this time unlike against Sweden  :P

AC-FC

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 11:59:02 AM »
I agree that the 1st half against NZ was better then the Swedes but she still looked a little 'lost' out there. Subbing her was another one of Hopeless's strange decisions that we have become used to.......

Sylvain

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 12:19:53 PM »
In a way it justifies the fact that Powell didnt select many non English players..no time to gel on the pitch. But, she could have organised more team GB get together instead of having nothing done till the end of the June qualifiers, bad planning when others have been preparing for months.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 12:21:27 PM »
Totally disagree with you - playing for your local club, your Country is another matter all together - this is Team GB...Little is not representing Scotland in Team GB, she is representing Team GB..........end of story.

When Shearer  was bangin them in for England, I never heard anyone say he was banging them in for Newcastle, Southampton, Blackburn or Wallsend Boys Club........he was banging them in for England...

You really have a problem understanding that two things can be going on at the same time in any given situation. She WILL be proud to be representing Team GB, BUT she is ALSO representing Scotland being a player from that country. I simply used the Jill Scott/Steph Houghton thing to emphasis the point, not to go into a separate debate about who they play for now.

So you think people from Newcastle weren't proud he was a geordie, banging them in for England?

Little IS representing Scotland, because that's the country she's from, and Scottish people will be proud of Team GB but ALSO proud they have a Scot involved in the team. Just like a geordie or mackem or scouser or anyone else would be proud of their men/women. It happens at international level all the time. Have you never heard of the debate between Chelsea and Liverpool fans regarding Stevie Gerrard and Frank Lamaprd with both saying one should be in the England team over the other if there's only room for one. People want to see, and are proud of their local/team players. It's quite a simple thing to understand.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:23:22 PM by Mackem Steve »
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

AC-FC

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 12:28:49 PM »
In a way it justifies the fact that Powell didnt select many non English players..no time to gel on the pitch. But, she could have organised more team GB get together instead of having nothing done till the end of the June qualifiers, bad planning when others have been preparing for months.

I would not be surprised if Hopeless drops her to the bench for the Macaroon game............