Author Topic: Norway's handball women 2012  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Norway's handball women 2012
« on: July 25, 2012, 06:17:20 AM »
Norway's team, the reigning European, World and Olympic champions, are ready for London 2012.  Already in the first group match they will be facing France, who are reckoned as favourites to win a medal.  Camilla Herrem is not bothered.  "We will run from them.  I think the same about all the teams we will meet at the start", she said.

The team arrived at Heathrow on Tuesday.  "Now I am looking forward to see where we are going to stay", said Kari Mette Johansen, who won gold at the Beijing Olympics in an entertaining Final against Russia.

The handball team is Norway's biggest hope of a gold medal this year, but they are in a tough group, with both the other medal winners from the World Cup in December, France and Spain, and Denmark who took fourth place.

"We have trained so well that I know we will be at our best in the opening matches", said Herrem confidently.  The Norway team is not predicting another gold medal.  Trainer Thorir Hergeirsson has said Russia has the strongest team at this tournament.  "We have been the favourites in most championships, so it isn't unusual for us.  We don't think about it or trouble ourselves about that kind of thing".

Norway have won their last 14 international matches, including France in the last training match earlier this month, when they won 28-20.

"We have a dream of gold, but first a lot of hard work is needed", concluded Linn Kristin Riegelhuth.

Norway's squad of 14 includes 9 Olympic champions from 2008: Kari Aalvik Grimsbø* (Esbjerg), Katrine Lunde Haraldsen* (Gyor), Ida Alstad (Byåsen), Heidi Løke (Gyor), Tonje Nøstvold* (Byåsen), Karoline Dyhre Breivang* (Larvik), Kristine Lunde-Borgersen* (Våg), Kari Mette Johansen* (Larvik), Marit Malm Frafjord* (Viborg), Amanda Kurtovic (Larvik), Linn Jørum Sulland (Larvik), Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth Koren* (Larvik), Gøril Snorroeggen* (Esbjerg), Camilla Herrem (Byåsen).  Reserve: Karoline Næss (Stabæk).
* at Beijing 2008.

Yasmin Sunde Hoel, Anders Engeland http://nrk.no/ol2012/nyheter/_-vi-kommer-til-a-lope-fra-dem-1.8256503
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:14:59 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Sylvain

Re: Norway's handball women 2012
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:55:33 AM »
The problem with many sports tickets at the olympic is they sold the tickets before the draw was made. I actually will see that team and the France team as well but that was by pure luck of draw. You can't follow your country in all those teams sports except if you got lucky with tickets. I did try my luck for men and women's handball and got nothing except 1 ticket for a double header bought by Norwegian colleague and those games will feature France and Norway against good opposition.
Rubbish ticketing system.

Sylvain

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 11:58:19 AM »
Eurosport UK shows team GB, Eurosport France shows France, so program will vary from country to country.

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 08:52:33 PM »

By the way Eurosport has group matches from women's football this afternoon, at 15.48 for 6 hours and then an hour at 23.20.  The British web site just says 'football', but the Norwegian site is better for details: http://tv.eurosport.no and look for OL fotball, damer.

Does anyone have a link for watching the Norwegian coverage of tomorrow's women's handball match against France?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:54:11 PM by norge95 »
Bente Nordby - Verdens Beste Keeper

Vær snill og rett feilene mine
(Please correct my mistakes)

Sylvain

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 09:07:49 PM »
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/sport/handball.html

Thanks!  NBC Sports is actually has it on their schedule that they will show the match "live" here in the U.S., but  I won't believe it until I actually see it.   ;)

Here's the link to an article that explains why I am so skeptical about NBC coverage of team handball:

Team handball, an exciting sport mostly unknown to America

Sylvain

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 10:45:22 AM »
Handball mostly unknown in UK as well. Final score was France 24 Norway 23.

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 10:43:16 PM »
Handball mostly unknown in UK as well. Final score was France 24 Norway 23.

It was a very exciting match, but a very disappointing loss for Norway. :(  

As expected, the match was not shown "live" on NBC Sports, but fortunately I was able to watch it "live" on Norwegian television.   NBC did show the second half of the match only about an hour after the match had finished, so I guess that's some progress. ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:51:29 PM by norge95 »

Sylvain

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 07:52:19 AM »
That game was on prime-time spot in France and the women's sport team did the treble with a win in football handball and basket ball on the day.

Sylvain

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 10:20:40 AM »
I will be at the Copper box tomorrow for the evening session watching Norway take on Spain I think and France v Denmark :)

Sylvain

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 08:06:30 PM »
I am at the Copper box. Norway missed a few on the counter unfortunately

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Spain 25 Norway 20
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 05:58:28 PM »
13 straight wins over Spain were of little help last night when Norway lost 20-25 in the last group match.  "We don't know what we are going to do", said Heidi Løke.

Spain last beat Norway in 2004.  With a place in the quarter finals and the pressure off, Norway had the chance of some fine play, but it didn't happen.  After a good start and a 2-0 lead everything went the wrong way for the Norwegians, with technical failures and poor attacking, and the Spaniards were ready to take advantage.

"It was terrible.  We struggled to attack and didn't hold together in defence either.  We must really pull ourselves together to beat Brazil.  One way or the other we have to work it out.  I don't know what we will do, we must sharpen up", said Heidi Løke.  At half time it was 11-11 but in the second half Spain started to pull away.  From Norway there was error after error and Spain finished with a 5-goal lead.    

Kari Aalvik Grimsbø was in goal from the start and showed strength, saving many shots and keeping Norway in the contest.  "Nothing went our way today.  We must sharpen up for the semifinal", said the keeper afterwards.  "We should have felt good about the match, but we did not.  Now it's our energy and our togetherness that matter, and those are two things we are good at".

At the opposite end was the Spanish keeper Silvia Navarro Jimenez.  With a 37 per cent save ratio she made things difficult for Norway.  

Trainer Thorir Hergeirsson said the loss was a step backwards.  "I think the solution lies in our players' group and our leaders' group.  Everyone thinks hard after a loss and that way you find small things that could lift us", he said.

"Are you a bit resigned to it?" - "No, irritated", said Hergeirsson.  Last year in the World Cup in Brazil Norway had a loss and then started a winning streak.  "We haven't had the lift we enjoyed in Brazil, but we will go on to the bitter end", said the trainer.

Elise Hellem Ratvik, Gunnar Bøthun http://www.nrk.no/ol2012/nyheter/tapte-sin-andre-kamp-i-ol-1.8270416      
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:44:28 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 10:56:56 AM »
Norway's cross-country ski stars interviwed on video about the London Olympics:
http://www.tv2.no/sport/ol/sommer-ol-2012/skijentenes-beste-olminne-da-shortsen-til-ingebrigtsen-revnet-3848487.html
They are most impressed with Mo Farrah, the Usain Bolt races, also the handball team's escape against Brazil - and Henrik Ingebrigsten's shorts.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:55:34 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.