Author Topic: 2012 Gothia World Youth Cup  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Cestria Galaxy fan

• View Profile
    • South Durham & Cestria match reports
2012 Gothia World Youth Cup
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:56:05 AM »
Follow Cestria Girls u16 at this years Gothia World Youth Cup after their runners up spot last year. The girls are playing a year above themselves this year so it will be tough. Millwall (CoE I think) are also in our age group so good luck to them. Plymouth Argyle are also in the U19 section.

The groups have been drawn giving us games against 2 Swedish teams and a Canadian team. Bit of a shame a few more CoE teams don't enter this comp which is the biggest of its kind in the world.

The blog we did last year was a big success with lots of action pics and match reports and I know the girls appreciated all the kind wishes on the message board.

Cheers

http://www.offexploring.com/cestriagalaxy/blog/page-1
@solar_concept for regular Twitter updates on scores, match reports etc

Offline #1

• View Profile
Re: 2012 Gothia World Youth Cup
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 12:49:46 PM »
I have a query on this - we're advised that the FA don't  (or shouldn't) allow CoE teams to play club sides. Appreciate that not all CoE are better than good club sides. Is this the case? Or is someone spinning parents a yarn?

fabregas04

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 03:40:57 PM »
I have a query on this - we're advised that the FA don't  (or shouldn't) allow CoE teams to play club sides. Appreciate that not all CoE are better than good club sides. Is this the case? Or is someone spinning parents a yarn?

8.3    FA Centres of Excellence may only play matches against other Centres of
Excellence. In exceptional circumstances a Centre may apply to The Football Association for permission (by written request) to play against another organisation outside of the Excellence programme.

It's in the rules that you can't, but i suppose if you want to go on tour you can apply.....................

Offline #1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 04:04:58 PM »
Nice one, cheers   :)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:16:32 PM »

8.3    FA Centres of Excellence may only play matches against other Centres of
Excellence. In exceptional circumstances a Centre may apply to The Football Association for permission (by written request) to play against another organisation outside of the Excellence programme.

It's in the rules that you can't, but i suppose if you want to go on tour you can apply.....................

What a silly rule. Wouldn't you think each case would be on its merits. There are some crack club sides out there who would give the CoE girls a good test which is what it's all about. I wonder whether that rule is in place to avoid any embarrassment and the fallout that would follow if a club side dished out a hiding to a CoE side.

Last time Sunderland were in cup final v Arsenal at Pride Park our girls, Cestria Galaxy, were invited to play Derby CoE (year older than us) at their training complex which was brilliant by the way. We won 3-0 with Zoe Ness grabbing all 3 goals. Derby were brilliant hosts and really looked after us.

Offline cheeks100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 08:58:37 PM »
I have seen Cestria girls playing a couple of years ago, they came to Midlands when the womens FA cup was played there. They were pretty amazing, i was really impressed .  They'd give a top CoE a run for their money.
There was one particular player that really stood out a Scottish international Player I believe.

They can play international teams as there is a tournament in Southern Ireland that the centres visit each year.  I went a couple of years ago with a CoE . Gera fun. Liverpool, Man United and Forest CoE had teams.  i think they can play n the closed season June/July but most CoE are trialing then.

Offline CGFC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 03:47:26 PM »
Anyone interested in the tournament some of the group games, including 1 of our own on the wednesday are being streamed live. Just follow the steps below.

1. Go to http://www.facebook.com/viaplay.se

2. Like the page and click on the Gothia Cup live-stream

3. Watch the games!

Broadcasting schedule (all times in CET)

Monday July 16
 19.55 – 21.50 Inauguration, Nya Ullevi

Wednesday July 18
 13.35 – 21.20 Groupstage, Heden 4

Thursday July 19
 12.20 – 20.50 Groupstage, Heden 4

Friday July 20
 12.50 – 20.35 Finals, Gamla Ullevi

Saturday July 21
 08.25 – 19.00 Finals, Gamla Ullevi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 02:01:45 AM »
Just an update on the girls exploits at the Gothia World Youth Cup. They reached the last 16 playing a year above themselves and also accounted for Vartans IK along the way who had won this for the last 2 years including beating us in the final last year!!
The Vartans game was our 2nd game of that marathon Thursday. We'd already beat IFK Brommpojkarna 5-0 in the morning before Vartans and then were expected to travel 15km straight from match on public transport to new venue in kit to play fresh Swedish team Pitea which proved too much for the girls who had nothing left in the tank.
A big well done to Millwall who managed to get to the QF. Hope we can go next year as genuine U17 and see more English teams there. Read all about it, and look at all the pics at www.offexploring.com/cestriagalaxy