Author Topic: End date for playing for club teams !  (Read 6043 times)

Offline mickcarroll

• View Profile
End date for playing for club teams !
« on: June 27, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »
Hi could anyone help, As a club manager for a very decent under 13 team (next season) I have just lost perhaps my two best players to the new Sunderland COE  >:(. we have a tournament on the first of July in Redcar, and the girls have been told they cant play as from June 30th is the cut off date, Is this correct ? I always thought it was July and also could they not give a little bit slack this is the last time the girls will play for my club, and they were very much looking forward to it, One day over seems very harsh.
Thank You

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
Re: End date for playing for club teams !
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 06:02:32 PM »
http://www.sunderlandwfc.co.uk/swfc_075.htm

if this is the correct coe then trials are still taking place on 30th june

Offline mickcarroll

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 06:04:02 PM »
under 13 Squad already picked !  :(

Offline interested

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:10:36 PM »
Yes as of 1st July if they have signed the forms they are a COE player and therefore cannot play Grass roots football

Offline CGFC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:29:41 PM »
Hi Mick

Obviously i know you but i had similar situation before, fortunately the centre saw sense as the kid had paid money to go but they said they would of rather she didn't. Personally i think when clubs have paid to enter these events (more than likely prior to the centre even getting the licence) they should be allowed to fulfill their obligation to play in them. But as usual the centres do what they want with no thought for the clubs that feed them in the 1st place. Again just my opinion. Hope you get sorted.

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:47:27 PM »
have they signed forms?

Offline mickcarroll

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 05:50:39 AM »
Cheers Lee, it is quite annoying, thinking it may also involve our 15's who are also going to sweeden.Going to try and find a contact to have a friendly chat, Like you say we nurture these players and then they are taken away, it would be nice to give a little something back to grassroots !
Not sure about the forms they were told by telephone on tuesday night  ???

Offline mimo38

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 07:58:16 AM »
They will have needed to sign there contracts by the 30th June so wont be eligible to play for a club from July 1St. All the tournaments where we live also stipulate that no C.O.E players are allowed to take part in the tournament or the whole team will be disqualified. Shame as its the girls that miss out.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:00:19 AM by mimo38 »

Offline #1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 08:59:26 AM »
mimo38 is right. This has been something of a bone of contention really over the years. The trade-off is that any scouts do not go to club football. Bear in mind that once the palyer is in the CoE, they cannot play for a club after season has finished; even for a couple of tournaments.

Offline #1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 09:05:41 AM »
....PS - told by telephone?? I take it that those unsuccessful players were told face to face? If not, it's a bit off not having the courage to give the bad news to the player in person. These are still kids for pity's sake. Not a good start in my humble opinion.

Offline interested

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 11:42:01 AM »
They will have needed to sign there contracts by the 30th June so wont be eligible to play for a club from July 1St. All the tournaments where we live also stipulate that no C.O.E players are allowed to take part in the tournament or the whole team will be disqualified. Shame as its the girls that miss out.

What about girls who play grass roots football all season who could then find COE players or even teams COE players representing clubs in what are tradionally Grass roots tournaments? Is that fair on them?

Offline CGFC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 12:22:08 PM »
Agree with you on that one, its strange how COE players are ok to play against whoever they like in the summer and not any other time of the year, but in Micks case we are talking about a new centre and trials within last few weeks when he had entered the tournament in good faith as a grassroots club some time ago.

I think if the COE were to enter tournaments that grassroots clubs could enter too, knowing that the centres had teams in, would maybe help in giving their players something to do over the summer and also give them some 'different' competition from the 4 or 5 teams they play all season.

Offline mickcarroll

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 02:28:37 PM »
The Tournament we are entering only says no COE players from the 2011/12 season, as my two have trialed for this season only they could play, would be even nice as a manager to have a little feedback and maybe a sorry but we are taking some of your players, also why cant they perhaps suggest clubs to the players who didn't make it, knowing they are sometimes going to kill a team off by their actions !

Offline holmes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 02:50:46 PM »
COE's have a hard enough time getting girls from the grassroots teams as it is.
I think you should look at the up's of loosing these 2 girls for this tournament, now is the time for other girls to step up to the plate, you will be surprised how well a team performs when they have lost one or two of there best players, so what if they don't win the tournament without the 2 girls, if they perform well then this will only do them good for the new season, now is your chance as a coach to develop the players you have, not to be rude but that's what it's all about player development, too much emphasis is put on trying to win end of season tournaments, if these 2 players have been your dominating, match winning girls then the other players have suffered at the hands of your reliance on them, now is the time to step up to the plate and coach all of the girls, I see it regularly at grass roots 12 or below where in 7 a side, 1 or 2 girls dominate the games, trophies one etc come under 13 9 a side and beyond these teams still rely on these players and results go south, because they become less effective and dominating due to more players, bigger pitches etc.
So think of this as a fresh start, build your team
best thing to do is try to build a relationship with the COE so that you can get hold of players who drop out of the centre, the door swings both ways, too

Offline mickcarroll

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 03:09:08 PM »
Im certainly not trying to be rude lol, I now have six players so these girls cant really shine when we dont have enough players for the tournament, As for the girls who got into the COE they were by far not my best 2 players, I think at least 5 or more would of had a very good chance of being accepted, but they chose to stay loyal to the club and me after a fantastic season, so as for devloping we must be doing something right, its just always hard to find new girls at this age, as once they are set with a group of friends they will normaly stay put. I would love to build up a relationship with the COE, but who are they ? I have never seen anyone at my games, which I find strange, Would of thought they should be out scouting as happens with boys. Never mind im chuffed for the 2 girls that decided to take that route, my only gripe is the lack of any contact from the COE to let you know whats going on, and how they could perhaps work with you.

Offline holmes

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 03:28:54 PM »
Point taken
Don't you move to 9 a side next season? Do you need to get scouting
You are correct finding girls at this age is hard as they tend to stay with there group of friends, a problem COE's sometimes find when trying to sign players!
I understand the problem of communication with the COE etc it is a a double edged sword, many coaches at grass roots don't want any contact with the COE's for fear of loosing there best players, COE's don't actively scout at matches as I am sure many coaches again wouldn't be happy to see them their, this is why trials are run, the politics involved is mind numbing, from the local FA not supporting the COE's as this waters down there leagues, to players dropping out of the game completely when they loose there place at a COE
I guarantee if you talk to the local secondary school you can find a few players, many girls play at school but not for clubs, advertise on here, on local websites, put posters up in schools. If you get in contact with the COE and say put a positive spin on your girls getting in and telling them a bit about your team, ask them if they could email all the girls who didn't get places to tell them you are actively looking for players, local FA will put something on there website too

Offline holmes

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 03:31:07 PM »
As for loyalty... Good point, but it doesn't exist, if any of these girls had ambition to play at a higher level both now and in the future they would go, you should be encouraging them to play at a higher level, after all grass roots girls football is on the whole woeful.

Offline Cestria Galaxy fan

• View Profile
    • South Durham & Cestria match reports
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 04:05:53 PM »
As for loyalty... Good point, but it doesn't exist, if any of these girls had ambition to play at a higher level both now and in the future they would go, you should be encouraging them to play at a higher level, after all grass roots girls football is on the whole woeful.
Have to disagree with you there. Seems to me it's the other way round from what I hear. Players at centres playing once a fortnight if that, in sterile matches or just twiddling their thumbs with huge gaps between fixtures.
Speaking from experience from our club,Cestria, our players have thrived in the grassroots arena. Although we do travel a lot of miles to ensure we are playing the best clubs out there we can find whether home or abroad
@solar_concept for regular Twitter updates on scores, match reports etc

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 04:17:37 PM »
Have to disagree with you there. Seems to me it's the other way round from what I hear. Players at centres playing once a fortnight if that, in sterile matches or just twiddling their thumbs with huge gaps between fixtures.
Speaking from experience from our club,Cestria, our players have thrived in the grassroots arena. Although we do travel a lot of miles to ensure we are playing the best clubs out there we can find whether home or abroad
Once a fortnight? Not these days, its a weekly programme from September onwards. Sterile?  Not at all, Ive witnessed some really good games at centre level and even seen a few red cards dished out.  As for twiddling of thumbs, I wish. As a parent it seems non stop for me and occasionally a bad wether stoppage comes as sweet relief.

Ive got girls playing at both c of e and grassroots, come to that one at open age too so can see the arguments for both sides.

Offline mickcarroll

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »
the end of the tail is....after a very nice chat with a lady from Durham FA permission has been granted for the girls to play on sunday, she was very helpful and wants to bridge the gap betwwen clubs which she doesn't think has been there in the past ! happy bunny  ;D