Author Topic: Scotland women crush Israel  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
Scotland women crush Israel
« on: June 18, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »
Saturday, 16 June 2012

UEFA Women's Euro 2013 Qualifiers
Scotland 8-0 Israel
Saturday 16th June 2012, kick-off 3 pm
Tynecastle Stadium, Edinburgh

Lauder 1', Little 6', 25', 44' Sneddon 9', Love 15', J Ross 28', Corsie 83'

Scotland crushed Israel on a sodden afternoon at Tynecastle to consolidate second place in group 4.
Kim Little grabbed a first-half hat-trick and Hayley Lauder, Megan Sneddon, Jo Love, Jane Ross and Rachel Corsie were all on target as Scotland prepare to face closest rivals Republic of Ireland in Cork next week. Anna Signeul's side raced into an early lead, hitting the net three times within the first ten minutes, and had the match wrapped up before half-time, going into the dressing room 7-0 up.

Lauder opened the scoring inside a minute, and Little made it two with a powerful strike from the edge of the box that left Israel goalkeeper Merav Shamir with no chance.  Sneddon, who is set to pick up her 100th cap in next week's match against Republic of Ireland in Cork, got the third with another thunderous shot from the edge of the box Love was next on the score-sheet.  The Glasgow City midfielder got onto the end of a Lauder cross, and despite being off-balance, sent a looping header high into the net.

There was no let-up from Scotland, who were camped within their opponents half by this point. After some neat play by Sneddon and Little in midfield, Jane Ross found herself clear on goal, but a last ditch tackle by Diana Redman prevented the Glasgow City striker from getting her shot away.  Ross then sent a delightfully weighted ball into the box for Jennifer Beattie, but again some last ditch defending, this time by Maya Barqui, stopped another shot on goal.  It was another Ross ball that led to goal number five. Her cut-back from the by-line was directly to the feet of Little, who sent a low shot past Shamir.

Ross, who was by now tormenting the Israel defence, got a goal of her own just before the half-hour. She pounced on a  ball into the box and rounded Shamir to slot coolly into the bottom corner.  Scotland goalkeeper Gemma Fay got her first touch of the ball in the 37th minute as she calmly dealt with a back-pass as Adva Tawil ventured into the Scotland half.  Little got her hat-trick just before half-time. A Ross ball in from the right wing found its way to the Arsenal midfielder in the crowded box. Shamir got her hands onto the ball but couldn't prevent it finding its way into the net.

The pace slowed in the second half, but Scotland continued to press forward.  Lisa Evans, bound for German champions Turbine Potsdam in July, injected fresh pace down the left wing when she entered the fray in the 67th minute. She raced to the byline and sent in a perfectly weighted cross for Jane Ross, who was thwarted by Shamir.  Second-half substitute Rachel Corsie, who had earlier stung the hands of Shamir with a shot from distance, rose inside the box to head home goal number eight.

Scotland:

Fay (GK, Cpt), Jones, Small (Corsie, 74), Dieke, Love (L Ross, 67), Lauder (Evans, 67), Little, Sneddon, Beattie, J Ross, Fernon.

Subs: Lynn (GK), Thomson, Brown, Mitchell

Israel:

Shamir (GK), Ravitz, Redman, Y Cohen (Falkon, 46), Shenar (Sendel, 64), Shelina, Tawil, Erez, Fridman, Barqui, Moran (Cpt).

Subs: Kadari, N Cohen, Eni, Abo, Levo.

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

AC-FC

Re: Scotland women crush Israel
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »
dont get too carried away, it was only israel

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 10:46:28 AM »
dont get too carried away, it was only israel

You do realise that a good many of the Scotland squad are City players,,,well after last night were on our way tothe play offs

AC-FC

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 10:58:12 AM »
yes of course, but I can't get carried away with big scorelines against poor weaker nations. I would be more excited with a 1-0 win against Germany for example.... ;D

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 08:05:07 PM »
yes of course, but I can't get carried away with big scorelines against poor weaker nations. I would be more excited with a 1-0 win against Germany for example.... ;D

Of the countries that played Israel Scotland have scored the most goals and they all count as well giving a +13 goal difference... The main priority get to the play off, then win through to the finals then we can see about that result against Germany...

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 02:16:59 PM »
Ha just noticed this....

Ruesha Littlejohn will try to forget her club woes when she lines out for Ireland against her native Scotland in a vital UEFA Women's Championship qualifier at Turner's Cross tonight (7.30).

The Liverpool striker was suspended for six matches after being found guilty of bringing the game into disrepute with comments on Twitter which included "a reference to sexual orientation".

Her substitute appearance in last Saturday's 1-0 defeat to Wales was Littlejohn's second competitive outing since opting to forsake Scotland last year and she's eager to be involved again in Cork.

Littlejohn, who bagged a dozen goals in 15 appearances for the Scottish youth team, doesn't regret her decision to walk out on her homeland.

"I played for Scotland in the 2008 U-19 Euros, but they didn't pick me for senior squads. I qualified for Ireland through my grandmother so it was an easy choice. I spent a lot of time here when I was younger," she said.

With Arsenal midfielder Niamh Fahey back from suspension, Ireland should be at full strength for a match they must win to have any chance of pipping the Scots for the runners-up spot and a play-off route into next year's Euro finals in Sweden.

IRELAND (probable) -- E Byrne (Arsenal); S Perry (Chelsea), L Quinn (Peamount United), Y Tracy (Arsenal), D Caldwell (Avaldsnes); N Fahey (Arsenal) C Grant (Arsenal), R Littlejohn (Liverpool); A O'Gorman (Doncaster Belles), D O'Sullivan (Cork), S Roche (Peamount United).