Author Topic: Scotland draw small crowd, get thrashed.  (Read 1272 times)

Elee Timp

Scotland draw small crowd, get thrashed.
« on: May 27, 2012, 04:31:31 PM »
SCOTLAND lost their friendly 4-1 to Sweden at Stark's Park, Kircaldy on Saturday.

Women's footy fans still reeling from the paltry turn-out at the FA Women's Cup final got more bad news.

The Scots had mounted a huge campaign to pull in fans, going all out to set a new attendance record.

The bar was set quite low: just 2,000 was the target. Or one fifth of the modest 10,000 seater ground.

But a meagre 1,185 turned up to see classy Sweden stuff their hosts 4-1.

A few months ago viewers of BBC Alba's Glasgow City witnessed the sad spectacle of the Scottish Women's Cup final taking place in a sports hall at a local leisure centre.

While English women's football remains in the doldrums, spare a thought for the Scots who wallow DECADES further behind.

Sylvain

Re: Scotland draw small crowd, get thrashed.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 06:32:19 PM »
While that number is relatively small. The overall infrastructure surrounding the National team has been steadily improving under Anna Signeul. I had a chance encounter last season where I ended up having lunch with Signeul, Bini and Dennerby and what they are putting in place over there is very much in the right direction.
They might even qualify for the Euro 2013 by beating England in the play-offs :p

AC-FC

Glasgow City 1 v Sweden 4
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 11:37:09 AM »
Even with 7 players from their top team in the starting line-up, Scotland were left trailing in the wake of the nifty Swedes.......my current favourite swede playing for Lyon certainly turned on the style and despite another goal from exile Little Kim, the paltry crowd went hone empty handed.

At least they fared 1 better than their male conterparts in the US....  ;D

Elee Timp

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 06:04:39 PM »
While that number is relatively small. The overall infrastructure surrounding the National team has been steadily improving under Anna Signeul. I had a chance encounter last season where I ended up having lunch with Signeul, Bini and Dennerby and what they are putting in place over there is very much in the right direction.
They might even qualify for the Euro 2013 by beating England in the play-offs :p

To be fair I once sent an e mail to Sheila Begbie, who I think is the head of women's football in Scotland.

She didn't know the answer to my question but replied straight away which I thought was a nice touch.

Elee Timp

Re: Glasgow City 1 v Sweden 4
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:09:06 PM »
Even with 7 players from their top team in the starting line-up, Scotland were left trailing in the wake of the nifty Swedes.......my current favourite swede playing for Lyon certainly turned on the style and despite another goal from exile Little Kim, the paltry crowd went hone empty handed.

At least they fared 1 better than their male conterparts in the US....  ;D

How many penalties is that now for Kim this season  ::)

Arsenal didn't get their usual penalty kick at Lincoln last week, not for want of trying by all accounts. :D But there's still bizarre irregularities in the number they've had. Is it something like five in six games?

AC-FC

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 01:59:43 PM »
They all count - just ask Frank Lampard and the rest of the Chelsea team.... :D

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 05:01:07 PM »
Thrashed seems pretty harsh.  Not an unusual or shocking result against the world #3.

Any ideas on the low attendance?  Ticket prices?  Game location/time?  Poor FA support?  Cultural savagery?

Elee Timp

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 11:22:52 AM »
Thrashed seems pretty harsh.  Not an unusual or shocking result against the world #3.

Any ideas on the low attendance?  Ticket prices?  Game location/time?  Poor FA support?  Cultural savagery?

No idea, but historically Scotland was always hostile to women's football.

The reasons for that would probably amount to a long essay!

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 03:44:25 PM »
Correct you are.

http://www.scottishaffairs.org/backiss/pdfs/sa63/Sa63_Macbeth.pdf

Resistance from men's clubs and trivialising press coverage are mentioned but both of these are common around the planet.  This on the other hand isn't:

"... it is within the schooling system that girls often encounter the first real barriers to participation in football."

Somewhat similar and from another source:  "Scotland is the third worst nation in Europe for weekly exercise amongst young women."
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 03:46:41 PM by law10 »