Author Topic: F A Womens Cup Final 26th May Birmingham- Chelsea  (Read 5587 times)

Offline rangersgal

• View Profile
Re: F A Womens Cup Final 26th May Birmingham- Chelsea
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 06:39:52 PM »
Yeah there did seem to be a pretty poor turn out. I think the fact that it's not BH weekend and due to it being in Bristol. It was a great game though, my sky broke when i pushed the red button but managed to get a crappy stream of it online to see penalties but that was a bit rubbish. They should definitely televise more women's football matches because it was very entertaining!

AC-FC

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 06:46:29 PM »
very very poor attendance today, its a pity as its the showcase Womens domestic game -People knock Arsenal, but its a fact that they do bring in the crowds like no other team in the WSL. Dont know if it was the location, but I had a ticket in anticipation of Arsenal getting there but didnt fancy the trek down West to watch the game.If anyone wants an unused match ticket.................serves me right I guess but then not even chelsea thought they'd knock Arsenal out..........

Elee Timp

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 07:02:19 PM »
Attendance a pathetic 8,723 according to the report on the beeb.

Great match though.

I feel very, very sorry for Chelsea who gave us this great final by knocking out everyone's least favourite team in the semi. They are a young side and I'm sure there will be other finals!

Moneybags Birmingham now have an embarrassment of riches on the pitch.

BUT their coat could be on a shoogly peg again with a well-documented cash crisis at the parent club.

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2012, 07:30:50 PM »
Just back from the Final.

Great match, best F A Cup final I have seen, by a mile.

Chelsea getting better and better, it will be interesting to see if they can mount a credible League and Conti Cup season.

Lots of little signs that the event is being downgraded...

Crazy KO time, shunned by terrestrial TV, no sponsor for the Womens F A Cup competition any more.

No programmes available before the match.

24000 twice at Notts 18000 at Derby 13000 at Coventry last year, now 8723...get it back to the right place and time next year.

Sylvain

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 07:54:57 PM »
All I am saying is I predicted 2-2 penalties and Becky Spencer to save a few ;)
Great entertaining game. Unfortunately one team has to lose and penalties is a lottery.
Birmingham had their homework done.

By the way, Birmingham are not moneybags, same as Arsenal. This is a silly comment.
Rich spending clubs are found in Sweden, France or Germany. Budget here are very low compared to those, probably a tenth of one what can be found. And it is called investing in women's football to improve it. If Lyon can find 3.5 MEuros so that all their players can train daily properly, it is a good thing. And it works as seen with 2 champions league win in a row.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:21:06 AM by Sylvain »

Offline Spooky

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »
It was quite a game - and had everything in it..
Refreshing to see two teams playing like that - Birmingham had the early game under control and Chelsea rarely saw the Blues goal..
Carney scored.. was it off-side? REferee seemed to think so..
Then Chelsea went close - top save from Spencer first and then the post denied the Chelsea..

Second half - once again a great shot to get Chelsea the 1-0 lead, but you never felt that Birmingham were out of it..
IF anything, they will create chances.. Williams gets the goal to level with not much time on the added time.. heartbreak for Chelsea.. momentum Birmingham..

Extra time.. WHAT WAS BIRMINGHAM DEFENCE THINKING!! probably more lack of thinking.. to gift a goal like that on extra time at FA Cup Final..
But - once again they fight back to level the game.. by this time you started to think maybe the stars were at the right position for Blues and wrong for Chelsea..
When Susi got the ball and ran at Blues goal.. you thought.. this couldn't happen could it??

Penalties - as so often.. the team that misses first.. goes on to win the game (look at Champions League!!).

Disappointed with the crowd.. yes! Especially with over 11.000 tickets sold.. and only 8.800 turning up.
Hopefully more central location for next season.. and I bet it was hard for some fans to get to Bristol for the kick-off time from elsewhere in teh country.
Not sure what the journey times by public transport would have been from London/Manchester/Newcastle..
Back to Midlands next season FA??  Also - get the game on BBC even if they would pay less.. at least people who watch it would see the WHOLE game without having to resort to Red Button!

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 12:37:36 PM »
i suppose it was a strange decision to play at bristol as the catchment area is smaller, but it was a fantastic pitch and there were no traffic problems (that i saw).
the free kick taken by Karen Carney was superb, and allowable if the ref is ok with it,the blues coaching staff knew that in that position , chelsea would spend ages setting up a wall,so they took it quickly.
i havent seen the tv footage but from where i was sitting (not quite inline) the earlier disallowed goal was not offside.
also Birmingham are not moneybags, most teams in the wsl probably manage on a yearly budget  equal to what frank lampard earns in 3 days, sort of puts it in perspective eh?

Elee Timp

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 04:11:15 PM »

Really??! That's not a little sign of disinterest - it's a thoroughgoing disgrace!

Regarding Brum it's all relative of course but at the start of last season they helped themselves to a 'job lot' of all Donny's best players. According to John Buckley their budget was EIGHT TIMES bigger than his.

Lincoln's Glen Harris said England's WPS refugees would follow the "pounds, shillings and pence." The ones who didn't go to Arsenal (presumably, because Arsenal didn't want them) ended up ...at Birmingham.

Sylvain

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
Err it is well known fact that Carney and Aluko are local to Birmingham and proud of their roots.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 07:59:00 AM by Sylvain »

Offline Soccermom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2012, 07:42:33 PM »
I was talking to the Chairman of Blues Ladies last night at a post match Reception about ways of getting more people through the gates and during that conversation he mentioned how much the Club cost to run, what they currently get from gate takings and how crucial the "freebies" are to the club.  This is not the sort of statement I would expect to hear from someone with lots of money at his disposal.

At the start of last year, he told me that the men's club does not give any cash to the women's team but they do support them through the use of training facilities, media staff, etc., and having had his fingers burned a few years ago when promised money never showed up, he stated that he would not be offering ridiculous salaries to the players.  I am not a part of the Club so perhaps this situation has changed this year, but I would personally be surprised if it has.  Perhaps John Buckley can enlighten us since he appears to have inside information to the financial affairs of the team.

Why is it that everyone assumes that money is the only incentive for joining a club?   I know of three other reasons why some of the girls have joined/re-joined the Club and the fact that Birmingham proved themselves to be a threat to Arsenal last year will have only enhanced the attractiveness of this team to those "bigger" names.

Offline Spooky

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2012, 09:01:43 PM »
Err it is well known fact that Carney and Aluko are local to Birmingham and proud of their roots.

Also Rachel Unitt started her career in the Midlands and move to Blues allows her to be closer to friends/family..
I am sure that the fact that Birmingham are in the Champions League has also been a draw to some players...
And as for Rebecca Spencer - no playing time at Arsenal.. moving to France and now to Blues has given her that.. and FA Cup winners medal :-)

In Women's football I think most of the money has to be generated in ways that fans are not seeing, let's face it - no club affords their wages on the gate receipts!!
So most of us have no idea how much sponsorship deals are worth, etc.. maybe some clubs are better at negotiating these than others??

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2012, 11:02:14 PM »

Really??! That's not a little sign of disinterest - it's a thoroughgoing disgrace!

Regarding Brum it's all relative of course but at the start of last season they helped themselves to a 'job lot' of all Donny's best players. According to John Buckley their budget was EIGHT TIMES bigger than his.

Lincoln's Glen Harris said England's WPS refugees would follow the "pounds, shillings and

pence." The ones who didn't go to Arsenal (presumably, because Arsenal didn't want them)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 07:29:02 AM by bilbobaggins »

Offline Garrincha

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2012, 11:18:16 PM »

Great advert for the women's game, the game had everything but a sending off  :)
and well done to Chelsea for putting up such a spirited performance.
Stupid set-up regarding the programmes though, every game I've ever been to (women or men) you go through the turnstiles and then you buy your program. No not here, you have to be psychic and go to the Bristol city shop and buy your program there first  ??? Crazy!

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2012, 12:40:07 AM »
bilbobaggins please refrain from being so rude about other members

Thank You

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2012, 07:41:42 AM »
removed

AC-FC

Blues the new Blues
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2012, 10:22:39 AM »
It was pretty evident last season that Birmingham had embraced the new chellenge of the WSL and made some astute signings, particularly the aquisition of Carney and Aluko. They came darn close to pipping Arsenal as the winners of the inaugral Championship and their success in the FA Cup shows that their stall has been well and truly set out.

After a dodgy start to the season, Arsenal need to respond and make sure they retain their crown. Playing in the Champions League may have had an effect but they should be able to deal with that. I still think they cannot rely on Little Kim to keep on banging the goals in and need a striker in and the defence must concentrate a little more.

I am pleased that Brum are up there seemingly replacing the chewed up Toffees as Arsenal's main title threat and so look forward to another 2 horse title race albeit with new opposition. Everton have taken a slight backward step and having lost a few players have not as yet replaced them with equivalent.
Having said that, they should still finish in the top 4.......
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 10:26:46 AM by AC-FC »

Offline Spooky

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2012, 05:28:27 PM »
And once again - those not following my Twitter, etc..
Here's a link to my photo-selection from the game in Bristol.. http://googabuphotos.zenfolio.com/facup2012

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2012, 09:51:43 PM »
Thanks Spooky..Good stuff  :)

Elee Timp

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 05:59:06 PM »
I'm glad to hear there was a programme produced, even if they couldn't be bothered to go out and sell any.

And, although this board is David's manor and we have to respect that, for what it's worth I didn't see too much wrong with what Bilbo wrote. Ok, some of it was wrong 'cos it disagreed with me  ;D  But nothing to cause any offence, I mean.

What about this business with SKY switching the penalties to be behind the red button? No wonder the players are raging. What a slap in the the face!

Apparently the FA tacked the Women's Cup rights onto the three-year Charity Shield deal, so SKY never really wanted to show it anyway.

Offline #1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2012, 10:27:42 AM »
I think that, at the end of the day if the FA don't do something and promote better coverage / participation for Womens Football, it is doomed to failure - which would be a massive shame; they have the chance to make this really work (let's face it, they're not short of a bob or two). The CoE players will either disappear or go abroad to the US to do scholarships, or move across to Europe. Maybe the FA board are simply not interested enough and are giving it a token attempt to make it better.
Do the girls / women pose that much of a threat to football? Surely not