Author Topic: F A Womens Cup Final 26th May Birmingham- Chelsea  (Read 5586 times)

Offline pat51

• View Profile
F A Womens Cup Final 26th May Birmingham- Chelsea
« on: May 24, 2012, 06:29:50 PM »
This looks an interesting match with a new name guaranteed on the trophy.

Haven't seen Birmingham this season but I have seen Chelsea four times. They do seem to have found a way of playing which suits them and can match teams who have bigger reputations.

I reckon they will need to be at their best to match Birmingham and have big performances from their keeper, whichever one plays, and their star players Bonner, Susi, Buet and Lander.

From what I can tell Birmingham are at a similar high level to last season and must be favourites...but so were Arsenal in the semi !

I predict 2-1 Birmingham after extra time...with no confidence at all .

Pity it is at silly o'clock and only televised on Sky, as far as I know.

Sky haven't advertised it at all..

Wonder if the crowd will reach 10000 ?

49yardtapin

Re: F A Womens Cup Final 26th May Birmingham- Chelsea
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 08:51:12 PM »
Sky have advertised it, mixed in with their football coverage for the day. Pity its on the same day as a full England mens international, its going to get swallowed, pity the 24 hour Sky Sports promo channel (SSN) havent covered it at all though, which is very poor, possibly cos ESPN have some rights. again The FA stance on this is worse than a disgrace they do nothing to promote womens football where they can and should demand TV cover something but thats what it is like in this country. Wish i lived in germany, their attitude to football both male and female is superior

Sylvain

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:47:05 AM »
Very difficult game to predict, nerves can play a role. Both side have a few players that have already played in an FA Cup final, while Birmingham have 5 or 6 previous winners who played in a game or more , Chelsea only has players with winners medal who were unused sub and players with loosers medal.

In term of playing style, they are both semi-direct to direct football teams with Chelsea using both wings to build up attack a bit more. Bonner and Ingle are  likely to do more headers than Bassett and Westwood.
I would say 2-2 and penalties and it is anyone's game there.  Although I expect Becky Spencer to save a few as she has done a England youth level.

Offline #1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:02:50 PM »
The fact is that Womens Football doesn't bring in any money for the FA. There are some that believe that Womens/Girls Football is paid only a token service (because the FA feel obliged to do so) when they could do more. I like that idea of demand for coverage, but that coud be counter-productive in that less will go so it may affect crowds? .....maybe.
As for the Cup Final, looks to be a fab match - disappointed it's not on the BBC though (even the Red button - shocking). A winner? I think it'll be close, but I'm leaning towards Birmingham (though with no conviction, Chelsea are handy this year) - seen them twice this season; both games they started fairly slow and punished in the 2nd half. Hopefully it'll be a full house at Ashton Gate - The Final usually pulls in a decent crowd.
Disappointed in the early k.o. as well......

AC-FC

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 03:18:32 PM »
Normally, I would be a neutral for this one....but on this ocassion, it's Brum all the way for me in normal time and the odd goal in 3....  ;D

Sylvain

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 04:21:22 PM »
Early kick-off and location is not helping with attendance. A few of my friends can't make it from up north and those who can actually took the afternoon off today. Many are making a week-end of it as well.
I would make Chelsea lightly favorite because their game as a bit more variation ie plan B if needed. Birmingham to me are in like Barcelona ie plan A and nothing else...Plan A working 95% of the time is good enough though.

Elee Timp

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »
Why did they stop having it on bank holiday weekend? It had started to pull in crowds of 20-25,000 - albeit most of them comps given away to schools, "grassroots" teams etc.

No offence to Bristolians, but it's also a ridiculous location. There are plenty of grounds in the midlands where it could be held so people from the North can actually get there.

;D ...moan over.

Sylvain

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 07:33:06 PM »
Let's hope there has been a lot of local promotion because I can't see the usual bucketloads of coaches from all over the country coming to a 1215 ko in one corner of England.

Offline Spooky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 08:24:46 AM »
End of a long week this for me - could only say things from Birmingham point of view.. :-)
It will always be easier to talk after the game - but despite Chelsea beating Arsenal to get to the Final.. I might still have to go with Birmingham being the slight favourites..
The way they play - if they get an early goal .. it could be one way traffic for a most of the game.. no goals in the first half.. then things might get interesting.

Pitch was in great condition yesterday.. change from the normal Bristol games I've covered when it is a field of mud.
So there should be no excuse for passing football .. unlike some grounds where WSL games are played at.

Crowd - think there's been talk of 15.000-17.000 tickets sold for it (or that's what I remember hearing somewhere).
Think the venue was reduced in size from last year due to Ricoh Arena being so empty for last seasons Final.. but would maybe have made more sense to have it at W.B.A or something closer to Birmingham for people to be able to make it better for a noon kick-off.

But - let's put all little niggling bits a side for a while and look fwd to a good advertisement for Women's Football today.. and may the best team win!! (and by that I mean that we don't want penalties!!)

Sylvain

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 08:37:37 AM »
Penalties is so much fun as a neutral. I think Chelsea have more variations in their game so could edge it. Also it depends who will get the chances for Birmingham if it is Taylor or Williams they will find the back of the net. If it is aluko well...

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 12:17:47 PM »
Any links for the game? I don't have SS :(
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 01:26:48 PM »
Half Time 0-0

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »
Chelsea lead 1-0 through Helen Lander

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
Birmingham equalise in injury time through Rachel Williams and it ends 1-1

Extra Time to be played

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 02:26:05 PM »
Longhurst puts Chelsea 2-1 ahead in extra time

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 02:39:46 PM »
Carney equalises - Birmingham 2 Chelsea 2

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 03:05:12 PM »
Birmingham win 3-2 on penalties after normal time ends 2-2

Offline rangersgal

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 03:18:25 PM »
Was such a good game to watch, only realised it was on half way through the 2nd half though. I'm glad Birmingham won but surely that free kick to equalise shouldn't have counted. Ref clearly didn't tell the Chelsea player it was to be taken then.

I wish they showed more women's football on tv, it makes me wish I kept at it but I haven't played for about 5 years now and i'm kinda overweight  :-[ 21 now so i'm probably too old :(

49yardtapin

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 05:35:20 PM »
freekicks should be taken quickly anywhere. Notice when an attacking team get a freekick in there own half and play quick no-one complains, but do it in front of goal everyone goals mental. Always be ready!

Great game tho, i had skygo so couldnt go to the red button, and as the highlights are on at 5.30pm with the huddersfield game now running over that, doubt they will show the highlights

Offline #1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »
I have to say, it was one of the best games of football I've seen in many years (men included); end to end stuff, dubious penalties, great saves, shots hitting the post, goal disallowed, a bit of controversy with Carney's late free kick, then more goals in extra time (none of this scared cagey stuff that the men have). The tackles were strong and the players got up and got on with it (and not fall over if hit with a feather like some).

Truly an awesome advert for top womens football in the country and long may it reign.......yep there's a but in your future....
I used Sky Go (long story). Nice. Good streaming. Good quality. After extra time the game went to the red button, which you cant get on Sky Go. Missed the penalites.... Not good. Why oh why is the FA Womens Cup Final shunted to an early k.o. and not broadcast on a channel that is more available to more people? This is still a growing game (apparently the 3rd largest team sport in the country?) so lets give it as much exposure as possible.
May have mis-heard, but there was less than 10,000 there? I went to a few Finals and all were more than double that amount???? What happened? Is it because the early kick-off, the clash of date (used to be on BH Monday), or something else? The sport needs as much support as possible, and I hope the FA take this on board and help Womens Football develop in the future.