Author Topic: Girls Centre of excellence  (Read 7457 times)

Offline holmes

• View Profile
Girls Centre of excellence
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:03:37 PM »
We have done the reduction in numbers to death me thinks so how about a new thread, you thoughts on the following:-

1. Teams losing lots of games, but parents individually saying to their girl, just play your game! (It is a team sport)
2. The jump for some girls aged 12 next year to under 15 and your thoughts on the age banding
3. Why some players can't play a level down when it would clearly benefit there development to do so?
4. Why are grass roots players not aware of Centre's of excellence?
5. Why only COE Girls can play at international level? (do we restrict England mens to premier league players only?)

enough to be going on with, me thinks!

Offline raefil

• View Profile
Re: Girls Centre of excellence
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 05:01:05 PM »
We have done the reduction in numbers to death me thinks so how about a new thread, you thoughts on the following:-

1. Teams losing lots of games, but parents individually saying to their girl, just play your game! (It is a team sport)
2. The jump for some girls aged 12 next year to under 15 and your thoughts on the age banding
3. Why some players can't play a level down when it would clearly benefit there development to do so?
5. Why only COE Girls can play at international level? (do we restrict England mens to premier league players only?)

1.  There perhaps needs to be parent education aswell, an incident that happened recently. One girl was playing really well, having a good season, out of the blue the strong point of her game seemed to disapear, her ability to pick out an incisive pass.   It turned out that her parents had offered her 5 quid for every goal she scored. Why pass?

2. there needs to be some flexibility on this, there are girls missing out on age groups by days. Silly.

3.  They should be, as said above.

4.  Is this the centres fault or is the clubs decision to try not to lose their match winning players.

5.  I would suggest cost, also it stands to reason that the girls performing well at centre level are performing at a higher standard.

Offline holmes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 02:18:58 PM »
1. agreed Parent education comes via communication, I am aware of a few teams who are playing worse as the season progresses as the girls are starting to play individually rather than collectively due to poor results.
2. how do we broach the flexibility subject with the FA?
3. As above
4. How can the centre's promote at grass roots level, whilst gaining the support of grass roots coaches? difficult!
5. Your probably right, however it shouldn't be the case, a wider net needs to be spread

Offline Tigerlou

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 04:19:58 PM »

1. I think that's a problem with English football as a whole. There's far too much focus on results and not development. In some games I watch they may as well not have a midfield because it's route one all the time. I think one of the problems with COE football is that it's a status for the parents, and the more goals their daughters score the more bragging rights they've got.

2&3. I've grouped two and three together because I think they go hand in hand. I think you've hit the nail on the head about development and if they belief is that a girl can handle a step up to the next age band let her have a go and likewise if they believe that a girl would develop better taking a step down again let that happen.

4. I don't believe a lot of this is down to COE's I believe it's down to the grassroots clubs not wanting to lose their best players. My experience is that there's a lot of managers of Grassroots clubs who having received invitation letters for girls to attend trials at COE's have not passed on these letters and the girls and parents aren't aware. I think the local county FA's should get involved more and try to force the issue more on the grassroots club, if the players don't want to go that's fair enough it's the kids choice but if there not told of the opportunity then that's wrong imo. The problem is the county fa's also help run the grassroots leagues.

5. I too believe it's probably a cost thing. I think they've made a massive mistake this season not allowing the PDC's to  nominate players for the England set up. They will have lost a lot of girls from the programme with the reduction in COE's and some of those girls will have had no option but to play at PDC's. Originally the FA had said that PDC's could nominate girls for the England Performance Camp but they later withdrew that.

Sylvain

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »
Just to react to the girls who gets a fiver for every goal. Where did they find those stupid parents ??
Seriously, they just create a problem for the team and the coach from nothing.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:41:45 PM by Sylvain »

Offline holmes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »
Stupid parents!!! lol
I think a lot of the parents are stupid  :(
The teams that are struggling in matches, the parents are bitching between each other and blaming individual girls for performances, they are also telling there own girls to play there own game and not worry about the team, this is rife, however on the flip side is the FA are just as stupid!! :D

Sylvain

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 12:49:05 PM »
I suggest they put the parents behind the rope 50 meters away from the pitch.  ;D that way they wouldn't be able to  interfere and let the game played properly.
And if they want to give their girl mopney for every goal, the intelligent thing is to give her the same or more  for every assist...

1. The coach should have a word with the girls parents before the season to tell them not to interfere.
5. Well, another side of the narrow-minded spirit at the FA thinking they are no good players outside of their controlled environment.
I guess they don't care about missing talent as they have enough to pick from in their opinion. I definitely think it is wrong...

Offline taximom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 08:41:18 PM »

1.Trials encourage girls to fight for their places by making themselves and only themselves look good-my daughter got comments at the trials like "thats good gootball that" from the coaches when passing and assisting goals hense she didn't get in but the ones who scored the goals did!
2. The jump for girls at 14 to u17's is also too big -the banding caused as much problems as the reductions! 
3. That wouldn't be fair on the ones who didn't get in -maybe if they are not coping they should go down a level to the pdc and give someone there who is above that level a chance to transfer over!!  Otherwise what are Player Development centres for??
4. COE's are frowned upon by some grassroots -but its a two way street players go back to grassroots!
5.they should be looking everywhere -or at least at county representative and/or county schools level where they will see lots of grassroots players  who have earned their places in the teams at trials against COE players and Ex coe players etc  and they probably wouldn't be able to distinguish the coe players from the rest on the pitch!

Offline taximom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 08:46:53 PM »
Just to react to the girls who gets a fiver for every goal. Where did they find those stupid parents ??
Seriously, they just create a problem for the team and the coach from nothing.

Grassroots can be the same giving man of the match mainly to the one who scores the most goals and a trophy to highetst goal scorer etc doesn't encourage team playing passing etc

Sylvain

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 08:49:51 PM »
Grassroots can be the same giving man of the match mainly to the one who scores the most goals and a trophy to highetst goal scorer etc doesn't encourage team playing passing etc
It is a typically English concept that player of the match thing. It's true it does not really help. I remember my sunday league team and some guy left after not getting the man of the match award  ::)

1.Trials encourage girls to fight for their places by making themselves and only themselves look good-my daughter got comments at the trials like "thats good gootball that" from the coaches when passing and assisting goals hense she didn't get in but the ones who scored the goals did!
Either they were looking only for goalscorers or they think they don't need passing midfielders and like direct football.

I was also watching the U11 game yesterday and some idiotic parent had a go at one of the Middlesex assistant. Some parents are an embarassement  :o
Anyway what I have noticed is that tactically it is well done at that level, those girls are good and can play football, compared to what I did at the same age back in 80's.

The only thing that surprised me is that none used their "wrong" foot. From the U9, I have always been taught in training to use the weaker foot having specific, passing shooting drills to improve it in training.
Simply because a pass from the inside of the weaker foot will take probably 3/10 of the second faster to execute that the outside of the main foot and those 3/10 will make a difference in play as seen yesterday in the U17 game. As well as it also dispense the need of extra touches to control the ball. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:17:08 AM by Sylvain »

Offline holmes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 10:20:50 AM »
Just found Cambridge's website, nice
www.cambridgecentreofexcellence.co.uk