Author Topic: U15's England schools - Bob Docherty Cup  (Read 2860 times)

Offline simwheel

• View Profile
U15's England schools - Bob Docherty Cup
« on: April 01, 2012, 11:02:54 PM »
Hope this is the right place from this?

Up early to travel to Dublin for a six nation cup competition organised by the Irish schools FA.

The teams are England, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and a FIA select team from Holland I believe.

There are many CofE's girls from across the country in the team. I will be posting results and England match reports if you are interested.

Wish us luck!

Offline simwheel

• View Profile
Re: U15's England schools - Bob Docherty Cup
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 11:05:58 PM »

Sylvain

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 11:42:52 PM »
Good luck to all the girls and coaches  :)

Offline interested

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 09:25:09 AM »
Good luck to Lancashire's representative Emily Marsh.

Offline simwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 10:00:51 PM »
England 1 Wales 1
Eng win 6-5 on penalties

Really good game today.
England started well with some good patterns of play even though they were against a very strong wind. They attacked at pace from the wings and sometimes a bit more central, the two up front linking up well.
It was not long before they got their first goal some good individual running by Amber Tullet before she cut in a side footed the ball in. The rest of the half Wales grew in confidence using their strength and a left winger that was quick and intelligent.

The second half Wales were on top, the ref was a bit protective and whenever a firm tackle or legal barge he blew for a free kick. Then the most bizarre goal since Stuart Attewell gave the phantom goal at Watford v Reading. Molly Wheeler was playing tough and when the welsh stricker was on her knees crouching over the ball our Central defender wanted to do no more than win the ball, she prodded from under her a drove away only to be pulled back for a free kick against her, now I'm no ref but it looked like obstruction to me, iadd it was given by the linesman, and this was not the bizarre bit! The proceeding free kick bounced around the area before the England keeper had to make a save and palmed it away for what we thought was going to be a corner, but no next thing we know the linesman had signaled a GOAL! Now I was not on the line but when you watch a lot of games you can read how the players react and no one shouted for a goal not least the welsh supporters which were on that side. Later we found out from some England parents that the ball had not even cut the goal line let alone the whole of the ball crossing the line.
The girls regrouped and started to build in confidence again, our midfield was strong & we had a few opportunities to test the keeper, but to be fair so did the welsh. Just as we were getting on top the whistle blew for full time. So to penalties! The girls did really well our keeper made a very good save when we were 2-1 down on pens then when it came to the crunch we squandered our first opportunity to win but when give a second chance buried for a 6-5 win.
A fair result in the end, although it should have only been 90 minutes.

Tomorrow England play the host nation Republic of Ireland. 

Offline Si_123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 12:24:39 AM »
From the Welsh perspective a good keenly contested game. Apart from the first 20 minutes which was quite scrappy the Welsh team dominated the game. Interesting differences in style with the Welsh playing out from the back and then passing through the midfield. The English relying on longer balls and pace and power of individuals rather than stringing passes together. In particular in the second half the English struggled to get out of their own half and were saved by the crossbar as the Welsh continued to surge forward controlling the midfield and the bulk of possession. England battled hard throughout and put in strong challenges all over the pitch, in the first half the ref let them go but rightly started to give free kicks in the second half.

As for the phantom goal who knows ... Standing near the half way line I could not tell. Regardless of the outcome of the penalty shoot out the Welsh team were hard done by not to get a victory from the game.

well played everyone and good luck for the next game tomorrow .... Wales v N. Ireland.

Offline simwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 05:56:50 PM »
Republic of Ireland 2 England 0

In very difficult conditions Ireland came out top today.
The wind was horrific and blustery. Some early England play was attempting to get the ball through from back for the pacy strikers to chase. With the wind behind it was difficult to gauge the amount  to put on the pass without it running to far. Ireland started to dominate the second ball. It was a high ball that beat the back four and when the ball was cut back from the line it seemed to blow back towards the goal but just in case there was a Irish player to stab the ball home for a first half Irish lead. Ireland had a few more opportunities to go further ahead, including their front player rounding the on rushing England keeper but the shot went just wide of the post.

The start of the second half was much of the same with Ireland going close before a smart turn and great shot that put the Irish up by 2. England started to build after this but a very good midfield, hunted them down in numbers if a England player managed to break free they were cynically brought down. Which brought out the ref issuing the first yellow card I have ever seen in girls football. The free kicks for these where far enough for the shots not to hit there desired target. England found it tough to break down the Irish who battled very well, spurred on by their midfield which was very competitive. Overall a scrappy affair but the better team won.

So it looks like England will be in a play off for 3rd or 4th, not sure who but am guessing it will be against Scotland.

On a personal note when the captain was subbed my daughter was handed the armband, so still something to feel good about!

Offline simwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 10:59:22 AM »
England 0 Scotland 4

Scotland where up for this match it seems defeat last year had spurred the coaching staff into making sure that the players knew just what it meant when you wear a shirt for your country. England gave a deserved run out to some of the girls who hadn't had a game so far in the tournament.
What seemed a bright start for England soon changed to a tough run out for the girls. We were struggling to clear our lines even from dead ball situations and Scotland captalised on this early on with two goals in the first half. England were struggling to make the ball stick in midfield and rarely got it wide so we could run at the Scots. 
The second half saw more of the same, the Scottish coach was a ver vocal man who was not worried about using his vocal chords to their full effect. England managed to maintain the scottish for a while but they mistakenly gave too much space and a well hit twenty yard shot was dispatched to the top right hand corner of the goal. England's back four were then challenged time and time again, interestingly Scotland conceded two yellow cards in attack which just goes to show how physical they were. Unfortunately England conceded once more late on. When the final whistle blew the outpouring of their win was loud and long with a rallying cry from their loud coach gave me the impression it meant more to him than the girls!

In conclusion;

Overall the experience was brilliant, the only down side being the lack of wins and the fact that some parents felt it necessary to blame certain players in our team. All I can say is that if you defend for 70 minutes in a game eventually that leads to goals and that they should have a better understanding  of the game before criticizing players to meet their own ends.

It seems that whilst we were at a schools competition representing England the other home nations do not have U15  full international squads so I assume many of the teams we played would step up to make the nucleus of the each nations U17's teams. With this in mind and the fact that one CofE club put pressure on two of its players not to attend this competition but to attend their teams tour instead of playing for their country! I felt our girls stood up to the task very well, they have a bit to learn but this only comes with experience and training. For example the Republic of Ireland trained every other weekend since January, England met up once before they played in this tournament. The English Schools FA did a great job the girls where kept engaged the whole time they were not playing, and I think next year the will be better prepared with this years experiences to call upon.

On a personal note my daughter captained a England side which makes me the proudest dad in the world! Well done to the girls and the ESFA can't wait Until the re-match against Scotland later this month.

The eventual winners were Northern Ireland who beat Republic of Ireland in the final.