Author Topic: End of the road is nigh ....  (Read 3150 times)

Offline cheeks100

• View Profile
End of the road is nigh ....
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Does anyone feel the same as me but after 3/4 years with a centre of excellence my daughter at 16  is in the final few months before she goes in to the big wide world of senior football.

I just feel a bit deflated in the fact that all that hard work and slog (its hard work being a parent of a footballer as well as no doubt you know) and a sense of achieving something is just drifting away.  Maybe its just my area and the exit strategies or senior teams recruitment are poor.

I know what the options are but basically going to one of the premiership sides which a spectator following of less that an centre of excellence game.

I know the grumps of you out there will groan on about the fun and taking part and the enjoyment of the game but in my humble opinion it would be great to be a career path out there for girls/women rather than just a hobby at senior level.

My t'penneth

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

and btw thanks to mods for giving us our own section.

Sylvain

Re: End of the road is nigh ....
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 11:02:57 AM »
I know the grumps of you out there will groan on about the fun and taking part and the enjoyment of the game but in my humble opinion it would be great to be a career path out there for girls/women rather than just a hobby at senior level.
I think it will happen in the near future, if women's football carry on developing at a good pace.
A few players are already paid in the FA WSL sides and they don't need to work full time any more.
Another way  is to  play in a foreign countries that give professional contracts to girls ( Sweden, Germany, france, USA and others).
If your daughter can play next season in the WPL this is a very good step. The level is not bad.
The other alternative is to go to the USA and study there. There are dozens of English girls currently at University.

Offline cheeks100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 07:10:35 PM »
I know decisions decisions but in reality she has already enrolled for a local college for A levels so can see that being the priority for the next few years. WPL 1st/reserve squad prob on cards.

Lessons learnt for my younger footballer don't take it too seriously.   That's a message to you lot that are travelling stupid miles to training 2/3 times a week not getting home to 10/11 o'clock. You've got to ask yourself - is it worth it.  I have it quite easy I only have to travel 1/2 hour to training but out house 6.30 until 10pm 2 nights a week plus most of Saturday out when weather fit.
Anyway ....looking on the bright side  ;D ;D do we no what's happening next season.  Initial CoE licenses were only for 1 year.  So have we got to go through the trauma we had last year.

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 08:16:20 PM »
I know decisions decisions but in reality she has already enrolled for a local college for A levels so can see that being the priority for the next few years. WPL 1st/reserve squad prob on cards.

Lessons learnt for my younger footballer don't take it too seriously.   That's a message to you lot that are travelling stupid miles to training 2/3 times a week not getting home to 10/11 o'clock. You've got to ask yourself - is it worth it.  I have it quite easy I only have to travel 1/2 hour to training but out house 6.30 until 10pm 2 nights a week plus most of Saturday out when weather fit.
Anyway ....looking on the bright side  ;D ;D do we no what's happening next season.  Initial CoE licenses were only for 1 year.  So have we got to go through the trauma we had last year.

This is very wise advice.

I dont know where you are in the country cheeks but keep a look out for trial dates for wpl clubs in the summer.

Offline cheeks100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 09:31:49 PM »
Thank you Raefil although think missing my point - I have a 2 WPL clubs nearby and I guess that is the next move but to me its not very inspiring.  I have been going to their home games for the last 6/12 months and basically they are just running them like grassroots clubs.  Participants sports rather than spectator sports.  I have been trying to

No proper marketing or advertising or even any drive - just find it frustrating. 

Sylvain

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 10:07:52 PM »
Thank you Raefil although think missing my point - I have a 2 WPL clubs nearby and I guess that is the next move but to me its not very inspiring.  I have been going to their home games for the last 6/12 months and basically they are just running them like grassroots clubs.  Participants sports rather than spectator sports.  I have been trying to

No proper marketing or advertising or even any drive - just find it frustrating. 
Does the lack of drive refers to on the pitch stuff or off the pitch only ?
What I mean if the football level is good I think it is the primary points in playing for a team.

I think marketing women's football is a struggle at the moment and if the FA had released the whole figures for the FA WSL season, we would see some very poor attendances over the season.

Offline cheeks100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 01:17:38 PM »
The standard of football is quite good.  The lack of drive is off the pitch.  There might be drive internally  to do all the right thing wrt to football training matches etc but not the people/spectator stuff.  Thats how I see it as an outsider.  Dont see any advertising or drive to get people to come and watch.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:11:18 AM by cheeks100 »

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »
The standard of football is quite good.  The drive is off the pitch.  There might be drive internally  to do all the right thing wrt to football training matches etc but not the people/spectator stuff.  Thats how I see it as an outsider.  Dont see any advertising or drive to get people to come and watch.

I can only talk of the club that Im involved with.  We dont even play in our home town, nowhere near.  There is no base of fans for the mens team let alone the ladies teams.  Sadly cheeks youve got it correct on that one, oh, and just to compund it even further, parens are made to feel like they are a pain in the arse by the management even to the extent of locking you out of training!

Good eh.