Poll

Was Hope Powell the righ choice to lead team GB ?

Yes
2 (25%)
No
6 (75%)
Don't know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: February 17, 2012, 05:07:24 PM

Author Topic: Team GB London Olympics 2012  (Read 24419 times)

Sylvain

Team GB London Olympics 2012
« on: December 19, 2011, 05:07:24 PM »
Will team GB win a medal with Hope Powell or will it be a titanic-like failure ?
I don't think Team GB will win Gold or Silver with her but Bronze is possible.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 05:09:27 PM by Sylvain »

Sylvain

Re: Team GB London Olympics 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 09:07:49 AM »
Coventry papers congratulated Kerry Manley (Wales) for being selected in the pre-list. So the Welsh and Scots are probably in the list which is a good news for team GB.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:43:27 AM by Sylvain »

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 11:32:37 AM »
Northern Ireland too. I know Krystal Parkers been nominated by NI.

Sylvain

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 02:09:15 PM »
Right, so Wales and Scotland (?) must have nominated their players as well.

Elee Timp

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 05:10:54 PM »
Are the associations nominating players then? Thought they'd washed their hands of the whole thing  ???

News today that 4 Celtic players (Suzanne Grant, Rhonda Jones, Megan Sneddon and Gemma Fay) have been "approached".

No disrespect to this lot but they'll get mauled by France, USA etc.

Manley is a good player but she's a right-back isn't she? Will she really play ahead of Alex Scott  :o

If the team was being picked on merit it would be England plus Kim Little and maybe Beattie.

Hope should swallow her pride and bring back Chapman and Sanderson.

I'd also be examining the rule book to see if Emma Byrne's decade of living in London made her eligible, through residency.

Sylvain

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 06:43:21 PM »
I can see some Welsh players who are as good or even better than their english counterpart.
Davies and Bradley, Fishlock and Clarke, Ludlow and Scott.
Regarding Byrne, I could bet Brown is rated better than her by Powell  ;D
With Sanderson and Chapman, I am sure Powell is probably waiting for them to swallow their pride lol.

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 08:21:57 PM »
I can see some Welsh players who are as good or even better than their english counterpart.
Davies and Bradley, Fishlock and Clarke, Ludlow and Scott.
Regarding Byrne, I could bet Brown is rated better than her by Powell  ;D
With Sanderson and Chapman, I am sure Powell is probably waiting for them to swallow their pride lol.
Thats possibly because she is. :)

Sylvain

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 08:31:47 PM »
I know Emma had a poor season by her standard but the catalogue of mistakes, failure and other let down by Brown for Everton and England is big and well documented for an international goalkeeper.
I mean it takes 2 or 3 seasons for Emma to make as many mistakes ( small and big ) as Brown in one.
She is a bit like the French social security... :D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 08:33:49 PM by Sylvain »

Elee Timp

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 08:52:04 PM »
I know Emma had a poor season by her standard but the catalogue of mistakes, failure and other let down by Brown for Everton and England is big and well documented for an international goalkeeper.
I mean it takes 2 or 3 seasons for Emma to make as many mistakes ( small and big ) as Brown in one.
She is a bit like the French social security... :D

Byrne in the 2001 Cup final against Fulham and the 2007 Euro win over Umea turned in incredible performances. By all accounts she's done it for Ireland against the likes of Germany too.

I've never seen Brown pull out a virtuoso performance but, to be fair, she's always looked accomplished when I've seen her (the 2010 Cup final and playing for England on the telly).

If Gemma Fay has been called up (again no disrespect) I can only assume they are working on some pro-rata basis with all 'home nations' represented.

Ludlow deserves a call-up to cap her career as an all-time-great, but what sort of nick is she in after recent injuries? Will loads* of games so close together prove too much for the old creaking joints?

*hopefully!

Sylvain

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 09:02:03 PM »
Scotland have ( or used to ) a goalie who is a lot better than Fay but is now a full back for the 6 nations rugby squad, after being excluded from selection after missing a camp due to a uni exam  :o
I understand Fay being pre-selected like maybe 60 to 80 players but I don't think she is mobile, nor explosive nor commanding in her penalty area and is  a bit of a vampire like Brown  ;)

Sylvain

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
Seven City players asked to consider Team GB

An incredible seven Glasgow City players have been approached by the English FA and asked if they would like to be considered for selection for the Great Britain Olympic football team for London 2012.

City stars, Emma Fernon, Jane Ross, Jo Love, Christie Murray, Lisa Evans, Leanne Ross and Rachel Corsie, have all received individual letters asking if they would like to be considered ‘available’ for selection.

Once all responses are in, GB Coach, Hope Powell, will then compile a ‘short-list’ of players in March 2012, and then announce her final squad at the beginning of July.

There is much debate about a ‘women’s GB football team’ and our own national football association has strong views on the matter. However, Glasgow City is leaving this decision entirely up to each and every individual player concerned.

If selected, the players will be with the GB squad from 8th July and potentially right through to the 9th August. 

http://glasgowcityladiesfc.co.uk/SevenGlasgowCityPlayersaskedtoconsiderplayingfortheGBOlympicWomensFootballTeam.htm

Sylvain

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 08:37:07 AM »
It will be interesting to see in March who is in the shortlist. Here is mine.Players by rating order.

GK: 4 Telford Chamberlain Bardsley Spencer
RB: 2 Scott Susi
LB: 2 Rafferty Harrop
CB: 6 Stoney Flaherty Davies Bassett Bradley Corsie
DM: 3 Chapman Asante Williams
CM: 3 Scott Nobbs Ludlow
AM: 4 Little Carney Smith Buet
RW: 2 Davison Fishlock
LW: 2 Yankey Clarke
CF: 4 White Dowie Williams Sanderson
Multi-task: 2 Beattie Houghton

18 players to choose out of those 34.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:43:56 AM by Sylvain »

Offline bilbobaggins

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 11:26:11 AM »
will sanderson be considered, wasn't there a falling out with hope powell.

Sylvain

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 09:14:05 AM »
She won't but she said she would come out of international retirement in the future ie when Powell is gone.Chapman might do the same.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:01:40 PM by Sylvain »

Sylvain

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 05:03:36 PM »
According to Faye White tweet's :

"So will TeamGB! ;) "Japan Coach says team will peak at Olympics by following Barcelona's attacking game. http://bit.ly/xEnz5l"

Team GB playing Barcelona style football  ;D :o well 70% of the squad will need to be changed then...

Sylvain

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 02:25:49 PM »
Another funny tweet from a bbc reporter Jessica Creighton

Every player contacted by British Olympic bosses for a women's football team said yes. So all 4 home nations look set to be represented.  ???

I know NIR have recently improved a lot but, I find it difficult to name one of player who would be better than their Welsh, English or Scottish counterpart.

Sylvain

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »
Excellent video from the FA with Hope Powell about the Olympics squad. The main criteria is being fit and healthy. Well, she could remember the Word Cup, where 3 main players didn't look fit during the tournament.

We know that the England staff are making the girls work harder on fitness that anything else considering the constant testing and running.  So the big question is : if an English midfield player can run faster and longer than Kim Little and playing in the same position, she is likely to be selected ahead of the Scottish player?

Let's have another example : which player would you choose Sophie Bradley or the welsh center back and Chelsea captain or the arsenal number 1 center back who has been a regular in the side for 3 years now has won everything possible and has nearly 100 Arsenal games ? I could bet the other 2 players won't even be considered for the shortlist  ::)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:00:08 PM by Sylvain »

Offline Soccermom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 01:42:12 PM »
I agree that Hope allowed sentimentality to get in the way when she selected her squad for the World Cup and really hope that she selects players purely on merit and not on nationality for the Olympic team.  As long as players in all four nations are being considered, then she must select the best player for each position, i.e not a certain quantity from each nation, otherwise I do not think we will stand a chance of winning the title.  I, for one, am tired of seeing the same old players being given "one last chance".  In my opinion, they have had over 10 years to win something and have failed.  Give some new blood a chance.

Sylvain

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 06:15:04 PM »
We can say that the generation that started the journey with the Euro 2005 has reached the end of the road. It seems obvious that they all want to have a last go at a trophy especially on home soil. If Hope Powell judges them to be good enough to compete against world class players, why not? They probably have out of this world fitness testing results.

The other question is will the team play with an attacking mindset or just carry on like the England team of old?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:26:05 PM by Sylvain »

Sylvain

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 05:08:31 PM »
I have been told last week-end by a media person that the long list has barely 100 names.
So 50 English 20 Scottish 20 Welsh and 10 Northern Irish ?