Author Topic: Champions League 2012/13 the road to London  (Read 23777 times)

Sylvain

Champions League 2012/13 the road to London
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:02:44 AM »
Apparently the FA has decided to give one place to the FA WSL 2011 winner and one place to the FA Cup 2012 winner.
WTF, hopefully it is not true. I mean the FA WSL winner is decided on such few number of game it is kind of dodgy but to give the other place to the lottery winner.
It is fine to give a chance to everyone but the top club competition should really get the best teams from England, no one who gets lucky with the draw.

Offline raefil

• View Profile
Re: Champions League 2012/13 the road to London
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 11:20:40 AM »
Lets hope its Birmingham that get top spot and would be great to see a club from the WPL grab that cup spot.   Lets get some romance back into the game.

Sylvain

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 05:07:04 PM »
Following their 13th national title, Arsenal have become the first team to book their place in the 2012/13 UEFA Women's Champions League. England's other berth is decided by the FA Women's Cup, which the WSL teams enter at the last-16 stage next March.

http://www.uefa.com/womenschampionsleague/news/newsid=1670072.html

Sylvain

Stjarnan end Valur's Icelandic reign
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 03:38:32 PM »
Stjarnan have ended Valur Reykjavík's five-year reign as Icelandic women's champions with two games to spare to claim the title for the first time.

The Gardabaer club beat Afturelding/Fjölnir 3-0 on Tuesday night and are seven points ahead of Valur with two games to go, ensuring a UEFA Women's Champions League debut in 2012/13. Valur, however, did confirm themselves in second with a 5-0 defeat of bottom side Thróttur Reykjavík, having also secured the Icelandic Cup last week with a 2-0 win against KR Reykjavík.

"We have aimed for this title for many years and finally we made it but we have worked hard for it," said Stjarnan captain Gunnhildur Yrsa Jónsdóttir, whose team triumphed with an Ásgerdur Stefanía Baldursdóttir penalty just after half-time and late strikes from Ashley Bares and Inga Birna Fridjónsdóttir. "We tried not to think about the title, only this game, but were nervous to begin with. Still we were ready to win and managed to cool down and think at half-time."

Jónsdóttir, whose team have recorded 15 wins and just one loss, will make their European debut next season, said: "This is a great feeling, "I have played for and supported Stjarnan all my life so it is great to see titles finally coming in" and we say this is the beginning of a great era in the town of Gardabaer."

That dream could become real since their coach Thorlákur Árnason has proved himself on an international level by leading Iceland to last month's UEFA European Women's Under-17 Championship semi-finals. Árnason's squad includes three of those U17 talents, Írunn Aradóttir, Anna María Baldursdóttir and Hugrún Elvarsdóttir, as well as American striker Bares, scorer of 18 goals, six more than anyone else in the league.

Published author Árnason is discussing extending his contract beyond the end of 2012 and said: "I think first and foremost it was the spirit of the players which gave us this title, we had set our goals for it and our plan worked out."

Last year's top two will represent Iceland in this season's UEFA Women's Champions League and will meet in the round of 16 if both win their first knockout games. To do so, Valur must beat Glasgow City FC – visiting Scotland on 28 September and welcoming them back a week later. Meanwhile, debutants Thór/KA, currently fifth in Iceland, face last season's runners-up 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam at home in the opener with both legs a day earlier than their compatriots' fixtures

http://www.uefa.com/womenschampionsleague/news/newsid=1671158.html

Sylvain

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 03:44:15 PM »
4 teams have qualified so far for the 2012/13 tournament : Arsenal, Stjarnan, Pärnu JK and Glentoran.

Sylvain

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 07:17:35 PM »
I have just seen a website announcing Norway will have two teams in the 2012/13 edition. I thought it has been known for like 6 months now?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:43:42 AM by Sylvain »

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 08:49:01 PM »
I have just seen a website announcing Norway will have two teams in the 2012/13 edition. I thought it has been known for like 6 months now?

Yeah...I suppose some people don't trust news until they check the UEFA site 3 months after it's announced.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name / He writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 08:41:57 PM »
The current club rankings for 2012-13 (almost complete, only quarterfinals, semifinals and final to go - theoretically 15.63 points still to be gained)

1 Lyon 110.42*
2 Potsdam 82.795*
3 Duisburg 82.795
4 Arsenal 67.025*+
5 Umeå 63.47-
6 Zvezda 62.8-
7 Rossiyanka 58.8*+
8 Frankfurt 57.795*
9 Brøndby 50.045*
10 Torres 45.035
11 Linköping 43.47-
12 Bardolino 38.035
13 Montpellier 37.42
14 Neulengbach 37.24
15 Juvisy 36.42
16 Everton 35.025
17 Bayern München 34.795
18 Sparta Praha 34.58
19 Paris SG 34.42
20 Fortuna Hjørring 34.045
21 Göteborg 32.47*+
22 Malmö 30.47*+
23 Rayo Vallecano 30.075
24 Røa 29.085+
---
25 Energy Voronezh 27.8
26 Valur 27.6-
27 Glasgow City 18.615 (!)
28 Tavagnacco 18.035
29 Alma 17.27
30 Unia Racibórz 16.285
31 PAOK 15.96
32 Standard Liège 15.6
33 Universitet Vitebsk 14.945-
34 SShVSM Almaty 14.27-
Birmingham 14.025
35 AZ 13.79- (club has folded, unless they count Telstar as a continuation of AZ)
36 Rapide Wezemaal 13.6- (club has folded)
37 Levante 13.575
38 Stabæk 13.085+
39 Zürich 12.955
40 Apollon Limassol 11.97

* denotes teams still in 2011-12
+ denotes teams qualified for 2012-13
- denotes teams who can not qualify for 2012-13

The line I have placed denotes the seeding limit if

a) the highest ranked teams qualify from their country
b) the European champion is top 2 in their own league.

Thus Voronezh might be unseeded next year, which probably isn't an unfair reflection on their performance this season.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:49:37 PM by Samuel Vimes »
For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name / He writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game.

Sylvain

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 08:49:20 PM »
Birmingham should have qualified but the 2nd English place goes to the FA cup winner, hopefully them if there is any justice.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 08:50:50 PM »
Birmingham should have qualified but the 2nd English place goes to the FA cup winner, hopefully them if there is any justice.

To be honest, I like that. Especially as the Super League is closed. Winning the Cup might be more difficult than finishing 2nd in the league, have to beat Arsenal for a start.

But when if Arsenal win the FA Cup, who gets the spot?

Sylvain

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 10:28:52 PM »
As far as I know the FA will make a decision once Arsenal wins the trophy LOL shambolic.

The thing is the WSL only have to win 4 games to win the trophy which is a joke. I mean Bristol made it to the champions league by beating what was presented to them ie :

Sheffield Wednesday 4th level
Millwall 2nd level
Liverpool worse WSL team

As a comparison PSG who were like Bristol newcomers in the competition managed to go past the first round and actually managed a win against Frankfurt. Bristol played very well at home and were victim of some poor refereeing decision in the away game. But the real competition starts in the quarter final. That's were you can see the elite teams in Europe.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 10:34:58 PM by Sylvain »

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 09:42:37 AM »
As far as I know the FA will make a decision once Arsenal wins the trophy LOL shambolic.

The thing is the WSL only have to win 4 games to win the trophy which is a joke. I mean Bristol made it to the champions league by beating what was presented to them ie :

Sheffield Wednesday 4th level
Millwall 2nd level
Liverpool worse WSL team

As a comparison PSG who were like Bristol newcomers in the competition managed to go past the first round and actually managed a win against Frankfurt. Bristol played very well at home and were victim of some poor refereeing decision in the away game. But the real competition starts in the quarter final. That's were you can see the elite teams in Europe.

Right, but that was a cup loser qualifying. That's slightly different. Given that the WSL is made up of 8 teams a runner-up will only have to win about 1-2 matches more than they lose, so it's hardly an outstanding performance.

The decision to 'make a decision later' is, however, on a FIFA-level of incompetence.  :P

Sylvain

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 10:04:18 AM »
To be fair, they might already have taken a decision but didn't announce anything. As far as I know they already moved the goalposts during the season as some clubs complained they were told late into the season that second place wouldn't qualify for the Champions League.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:41:42 AM by Sylvain »

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 10:05:29 AM »
To be fair, they might already have taken a decision but didn't announce anything.

Isn't that roughly the same thing? At least if the clubs involved don't know what the decision is?

It does seem pretty comedic with all the goalpost-shuffling  :-[
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:07:03 AM by Samuel Vimes »

Sylvain

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 10:19:15 AM »
Looking at the numbers, it looks like any random English team qualifying except Everton or Bristol will be unseeded and might end up against a big side.

Offline Max

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 07:47:35 PM »
Nice speculation here  :) I am mostly interested in the qualifying phase. The teams will be drawn from four pots (1-4). My team, PK-35 Vantaa (Finland), has already qualified for UCL 2012/13 (hate the UWCL form; it's not UMCL either...).

Our performance this season gave us some added ranking points, but if the team coefficient also this upcoming season consist of the team points and only a third of the national association coefficient points, then we should end up in pot 2 again. There is even a theoretical possibility that we drop to pot 3.

Below the list of teams in pot 1 making the following assumptions:

- the UCL Champion will also qualify for 2012/13 season through it's domestic competition
- there will be no major upset in the domestic leagues. Most of teams listed have not yet qualified!

Top seeds if:

3 more teams participate than last season:

Unia Raciborz Poland (approx. 16 points)
PAOK Greece (15 points)
Glasgow Scotland (18)
Zurich Switzerland (12.9)
Apollon Cyprus (11.6)
Dezembro Portugal (11.3)
Sarajevo Bosnia (10)
Sofia Bulgaria (9.31)
----------
Only in this case also in pot 1: Zhytlobud Ukraine (9.29). Holland Champ in pot 2.

If only 2 more teams: Pot 2/3 Champion of Kazakhstan go straight to R32.
only 1 more team participate: -
If the same amount of teams: Belarussians will not go to R32 but start at pot 2 QF stage.

If the field is reduced by one team since last year: Polish (and pot 2/3 Kazakh Champions) straight to round 32.
Reduced by 2 teams: Bulgarians to pot 2 (pot 2/3 Kazakh champion to R32)
Reduced by 3 teams: Bulgarians to pot 2.

Potential new teams compared to last season: Azerbaidzhan, Georgia, Montenegro?, Armenia?
Potential teams being denied participation by national association: Albania (Luxembourg, Latvia?)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:00:40 AM by Max »

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 08:58:47 PM »
Welcome Max :)

This is good fun, I agree. I don't think many more nations will come in; Azerbaijan is possible, given they host U-17, but I don't really know what the league is doing and they had a very nasty scandal with age & passport forgery. The Albania WNT has started to play friendlies, so hopefully they might be accepted in the UCL as well.

The Kazakh champion is known: it is BIIK-Kazygurt, from Shymkent. They will have 6.327 points according to my calculations (thus behind PK-35) See here for an updated list.

Nasty question: what on earth is going on with the Finland WNT? Just seems to have collapsed following Euro 2009.

I have Apollon at 12.0 points, for the record. And Zhytlobud at 9.3.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 09:01:48 PM by Samuel Vimes »

Offline Max

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 10:56:26 PM »
The problem in Albania is the fact that the local FA is not too eager to sponsor the participation in UCL. We tried to convince them after this  years tournament that it is worth taken part also next season. So let us see. The ADA team that took part was actually not really the same as the one that won the championship. They had like 10 new players from other teams in Albania and Kosovo. A pity Kosovo is not a member since they have fairly ok team there, at least compared to Albania. Lovely people thou.

And never heard of BIIK. Do they have what kind of players? In comparison with CSHVSM. And where is Alma KZH/KTZ nowadays?

You are correct regarding Zhilstroy/Zhytlobud! It get 9.29 for them and 9.31 for Sofia. Hence, the Bulgarians have a chance to get top seed. I shall correct that. And happily so.

The Ukrainian league was strange, since both Zhytlobud and Legenda lost 1-0 in the final round  :D

ot: regarding Finland. We lost important players that retired in 2009. The central midfield in particular. And Kalmari is only playing club football. Now this autumn also Salmén retired. The team is very young and I cant really see any future stars from outside the current squad that would be born before 1994. Basically, we have only Rantanen left in the central midfield that is experienced. The others are barely young substitutes in Damallsvenskan. And we only have one decent center back. Add to this constant struggles and triangle dramas between domestic clubs, heads of the FA and heads of the womens football...and you have a complete mess.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 11:16:36 PM »
The problem in Albania is the fact that the local FA is not too eager to sponsor the participation in UCL. We tried to convince them after this  years tournament that it is worth taken part also next season. So let us see. The ADA team that took part was actually not really the same as the one that won the championship. They had like 10 new players from other teams in Albania and Kosovo. A pity Kosovo is not a member since they have fairly ok team there, at least compared to Albania. Lovely people thou.

And never heard of BIIK. Do they have what kind of players? In comparison with CSHVSM. And where is Alma KZH/KTZ nowadays?

Ah I see. Well, I don't think the Norwegian FA sponsors teams in UCL either so...  ::)

The source cited by wikipedia is this: http://www.prosportkz.kz/ru/news/12299.html which is of course in Russian, but google translate suggests it's a new team.

They finished 3 points ahead of  CSHVSM, so must have a fairly decent team.  I seem to remember Alma-KZH's players went to CSHVSM, but don't take this as 100 % certain.

Offline Max

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 11:20:36 PM »
The qualifying round costs each federation 20 000 euros. But Norwegians dont have to worry about that :)

Pot 2 contenders:
Zhytlobud 9.29
MTK Hungaria 9.29 or Viktoria S. 6.9
Bobruichanka Belarus 8.4
Krka 8 (tough domestic competition)
Gintra 7.3
PK-35 Vantaa have around 7
---------- bordeline teams:
Tel Aviv 6.5
Cluj 6.475 (tough domestic competition from Targu Mures)
BIIK 6.3 (might well be a team in pot 3  :o )
Osijek 6
--------Probably pot 3:
Klaksvik 5.988
Subotica 5.3
Irish
Slovakian

(Masinac Nis Serbia would make it to pot 1)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:48:44 PM by Max »