Author Topic: World Cup 2011  (Read 8566 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup 2011
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 07:30:51 PM »
And to a penalty shoot out now..1-1 still after extra time

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 07:43:15 PM »
France wins the shoot out 4-3 to progress

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 08:52:03 PM »
Is always a tough way to lose but in the cold light of day, the best team won imo.

Taking both the fullbacks off at the same time while trying to defend a one goal lead with five minutes to go, on the face of it, was totally bizarre.  ???

As Yankey wasn't pulling up any trees I'd also liked to have seen Clarke or Aluko unleashed, to see if they got any more joy down the flanks.

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 09:43:47 PM »
Certain senior players did one when it came to the penalty shoot out aswell, perhaps that what they are now, senior!

Offline RB1871

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 09:59:31 PM »
Hopeless Powell sends us crashing out of the cup with probably the most ridiculous substitutions in the history of football!

Samuel Baudrier

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2011, 12:20:13 AM »
The Unitt substitution was logical with Thomis just going past her on every occasion as expected really.
Scott was injured according to Powell in press conference  ???
Asante for Yankey...well Smith subbed would have been better for sure.

But the main problem the players technical ability to retain ball possession,  where the gap was big between the two teams which I expected if I went to many games from both teams over the last 2 seasons.

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2011, 01:47:06 AM »
It was like Sunday men's football to me.. Oh we are 1 nil up against a team who have dominated with 9 minutes left I'll change my back four.. Then we lose well done Hope(less) Powell tactical genius.. Not..

Samuel Baudrier

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2011, 09:22:38 AM »
I think she got the Rafferty for Unitt right, same thing happened to Unitt at FA Cup final against Arsenal couple of seasons ago but the other two players subbed , still trying to understand the logic in it ???

Offline cardy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2011, 12:09:55 PM »
Hey

Dont blame faye white with the penalty she had the courage to step up shes a true captain, and as for the rest the Manager has made a few errors not only here but in the past.  Refusing to sub Kelly Smith when she obviously cant play her best, she gets frustrated as you can see but she is played over and over when she needs to rest. 

Eni hasnt particularly been playing well in US or in WC but she can be a wonder girl at times so dont knock her either.  I think to ask Rafferty to take a penalty was a studpid idea she is inexperienced on these big occasions she played well during the match.  Powell has done all she can now and should move on.  A man would be good as Manager this time as long as she has no influence and gives him freedom to run the squad.

France were the better team, they maintained possession much better than England.  That is where better technical players need to be brought in.  All this defence ..defence needs to be equalled with attack attack!

I feel the girls worked really hard and did well and take heart  - even the Germans were eliminated .

Offline Betty Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2011, 01:06:10 PM »
Am I right in saying NO strikers took the penalties ? not seen the game-been told this was so ??

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2011, 01:16:57 PM »
The trouble is that Hope's feet are well and truly under the table at the FA. 13 years of empire-building and cronyism means that whoever comes in next will be up against it from the start.

It's obvious that in extra-time England's game plan was to play for penalties - so in that respect we got what we deserved.

Another thing to consider is that most of these players were sat on their backsides for 12 months, before playing half a dozen WSL matches, then going into hibernation again.

Samuel Baudrier

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 01:43:36 PM »
Am I right in saying NO strikers took the penalties ? not seen the game-been told this was so ??
Smith scored, Carney scored, Stoney scored. Rafferty and Faye White missed...
3 defenders and 2 midfields. The only forward on the pitch was Ellen White and she did not take part.

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2011, 03:32:43 PM »
Hey

Dont blame faye white with the penalty she had the courage to step up shes a true captain, and as for the rest the Manager has made a few errors not only here but in the past.  Refusing to sub Kelly Smith when she obviously cant play her best, she gets frustrated as you can see but she is played over and over when she needs to rest. 

Eni hasnt particularly been playing well in US or in WC but she can be a wonder girl at times so dont knock her either.  I think to ask Rafferty to take a penalty was a studpid idea she is inexperienced on these big occasions she played well during the match.  Powell has done all she can now and should move on.  A man would be good as Manager this time as long as she has no influence and gives him freedom to run the squad.

France were the better team, they maintained possession much better than England.  That is where better technical players need to be brought in.  All this defence ..defence needs to be equalled with attack attack!

I feel the girls worked really hard and did well and take heart  - even the Germans were eliminated .

ok will not mention the poor penalty miss by an obviously injured player who should have stepped aside, but will mention the missed header the incomplete clearance after (swipe and miss), that led to Frances equaliser

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 03:40:20 PM »
There was only going to be one outcome for that last penalty.   The ball rolled into a hole, White moved down to pick it out and for some unknown reason just left it in there.  From that moment on there was only one place that kick was going, it certainly wasnt going to where the player wanted it.   Seems churlish to criticise though.  In fairness she stepped up to the mark, certain others didnt.

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 04:31:17 PM »
 ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
::)
best news so far she is considering her future.. Even better news would be she has walked :-)

Samuel Baudrier

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2011, 10:18:16 AM »
Stoney said in a shekicks interview that Rafferty was the first player to volunteer to take a penalty  :o credit to her to have the courage to do it.

Guardian article has strong words from Hope Powell :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/10/hope-powell-england-women-world-cup?CMP=twt_gu

The 6 players who did not volunteer were Bardsley, Jill Scott, Williams, Ellen White, Houghton and Asante.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:53:28 PM by Samuel Baudrier »

Offline cardy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 01:46:48 PM »
 ???Ok So players did not rush to volunteer for a penalty.  If they were playing for a penalty decided why weren't more forwards on pitch at the end? 

I still wonder at the tactics.

I look forward to finding out who the new Manager will be and hope they have a free reign in selection etc.  They will have a big job to find replacements for smith and white and probably yankey who may retire for international football soon.  I dont think theyre are the players to take over in the squad.  Carney for smith yes thats a definite, but none of the others in the squad are capable of filling big shoes.

49yardtapin

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 07:51:10 PM »
Stoney said in a shekicks interview that Rafferty was the first player to volunteer to take a penalty  :o credit to her to have the courage to do it.

Guardian article has strong words from Hope Powell :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/10/hope-powell-england-women-world-cup?CMP=twt_gu

The 6 players who did not volunteer were Bardsley, Jill Scott, Williams, Ellen White, Houghton and Asante.

And now the players are kicking off...Jill Scott Twitter We win as a team...we lose as a team..................................................

Aluko....Obviously the saying you win and lose as a TEAM is just words. Unbelievable http://t.co/Xggq1vv

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 08:06:34 PM »
Hope Powell accuses players of 'cowardice' and hints at departure

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/10/hope-powell-england-women-world-cup