Author Topic: Scottish Cup Round Up  (Read 915 times)

Offline Dr Gonzo

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4031
    • View Profile
Scottish Cup Round Up
« on: June 20, 2011, 10:49:47 AM »
Forfar Farmington On Form

Forfar Farmington made their way into the 3rd round of the Unite Scottish Cupstormed after a dramatic  extra time winner against Inverness.  

Bringing some of their recent league form into the tie they were 2-0 up after only 8 minutes but Inverness managed to pull back level twice as the game finished 3-3 at the end of 90 minutes. However, just as it looked like penalties were on their way Scotland centre-half, Rachel Small popped up with the winner with the last kick of the match, in a cruel twist of fate for Inverness who had worked so hard against the much fancied Forfar.

Glasgow City got their tie off to a good start away to Cowdenbeath but the home side almost opened the scoring inside the first minute.  Within three minutes though Emma Mitchell had opened the scoring and Leanne Ross added a second a couple of minutes later the first goal of a hat-trick.  Christie Murray also had a hat-trick and the side piled on the goals finishing up 14-0 winners on the day.  Suzanne Malone also made a return after more than a year out injured.  Coming on late in the second half Malone proved that despite her absence she has not lost sight of the where the goal is, as she also hit the back of the net.  

Celtic ran out 3-0 winners over First Division leaders Aberdeen thanks to goals from Megan Sneddon, Suzanne Grant and young full-back Chloe Craig. Spartans smashed Kilmarnock 15-0 with four goals each for strike partners Diana Barry and Sarah Ewens. Rangers were also finding goals easy to come by with a resounding 11-0 win over lower league side Troon.  That other Glasgow side Queens Park also made it into the next round with a hard fought 1-0 win against Hearts.

Toni Mason hit the first for Hamilton as her side defeated Murieston 4-1. Julie Paton got Muireston’s consolation goal against the Premier League Accies. Scottish Cup holders Hibernian enjoyed a narrow 3-2 win over Hutchison Vale to keep their hopes of retaining the trophy alive and Falkirk defeated Dundee City 3-0.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:58:34 PM by Dr Gonzo »

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline Jimmy Shaker

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Cup Round Up
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 01:22:09 PM »
Aberdeen City 2-2 Stenhousemuir (AET; Stenhousemuir won 4-2 on penalties)

Aberdeen City suffered penalty heartbreak at Garthdee this afternoon, going out to Stenhousemuir after a penalty shoot-out. City were two goals down in the first half and the tie looked almost over before a consolation in first half injury time set up a tense second half. The equaliser arrived with fifteen minutes to go but neither side could find a winner in the remaining open play, and to spot-kicks the game went.

Aberdeen were a goal down inside the opening five minutes. A corner floated over a stationary City defence and was nodded in at the far post. With quarter of an hour gone City were two down when a shot from 25 yards curled past a flying keeper. City had chances to get back into the game but were far from as fluid a team as seen in previous games. The hosts were without a first touch and struggled to complete a pass for long spells in the first half, clearly rusty from two weeks without a game. In the final seconds of the first half, City pulled one back when no.17 tapped home from close range following good work from no.10.

In the second half, City continued their struggle to retain possession and their frustration fed through to their opposition who started making the same basic mistakes. In front of goal, City's no.10 smacked a right footed shot too close to the Stenny keeper who palmed the ball up in the air before catching the rebound. The equaliser came with time to spare, as no.17 rifled a shot across the face of goal from outside the area and in past the despairing keeper. Stenny had the chance to steal the game in the dying seconds, but Aberdeen finally offered some opposition to a corner and saw it headed over.

Extra time came and went with little in the way of incident, beyond a few players running out of legs and going down injured, and the rain starting.

And so to penalties. Stenny went first, and the initial spot-kick sailed past the City keeper, the first of four to give the keeper no chance. City scored with their first attempt, but their second, taken by Rachel Gibson, drew a fine low save to put Stenny ahead. The sides traded successful kicks before City's no.17 rattled the crossbar with her attempt, sending Stenhousemuir in the next round in the process.

Photos from todays game are online - click on the photo below for a look

Will tidy up the photo captions and player names later.

Scores from the second round of the Unite Scottish Womens Cup...

Toryglen 4 v 2 Hibernian 2000
Hamilton Academical 4-1 Murieston Ladies
Forfar Farmington 4-3 Inverness City
Rangers 11-0 Troon
Celtic Reserves 3-0 Airdrie United 
Kilwinning Sports Club 4-4 Forfar Farmington Ladies (AET; Kilwinning won 2-1 on penalties)
Falkirk Ladies 3-0 Dundee City
Spartans 15-0 FC Kilmarnock
Hibernian 3-2 Hutchison Vale
Aberdeen City 2-2 Stenhousemuir (AET; Stenhousemuir won 4-2 on penalties)
Buchan P-P Viewfield Rovers
Hibernian 1875 1-3 Raith Rovers 
Celtic 3 -0 Aberdeen FCL 
Queens Park 1-0 Hearts 
Cowdenbeath 0-14 Glasgow City 
East Fife 1-4 Paisley Saints Ladies