Author Topic: Women's football: Wylie plans to call up exiles  (Read 2917 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Women's football: Wylie plans to call up exiles
« on: March 14, 2007, 11:52:05 AM »
NI Womens' boss steps up search for new faces

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Northern Ireland's women team are appealing to all NI exiles, who regularly play a high standard of football, to get in touch with the Irish Football Association.

Northern Ireland's womens' team manger Alfie Wylie (inset) is making the call to all female soccer players who have a parent or grandparent born in Northern Ireland who think their skills are good enough to earn a place on the NI women's under-19 or senior squad.

The appeal follows many female players currently living outside Northern Ireland enquiring as to their eligibility to play for Northern Ireland.

Following sufficient levels of interest, a training camp will be held during the summer months in England for those who are deemed successful.

One player who has taken advantage of the ruling in recent times is Rachel Furness (left), who was born in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.

The Sunderland Ladies striker is one of the bright hopes for Wylie but he is looking for more players to follows Rachel's lead.

For further information, please contact Alfie Wylie at the Irish Football Association on awylie@irishfa.com.

Northern Ireland's first group match in the UEFA Women's European Qualifiers is against England on Sunday 13 May. The match will be held at League One Club Gillingham's ground, Priestfield Stadium.

The KO for the much anticipated match is still to be confirmed but team manager Alfie Wylie is calling for all supporters to book flights and make travel arrangements now.

Alfie adds: "I'd like to call all Northern Ireland fans, supporters, and followers from men, women and children to come along to the match and support the team against one of Northern Ireland's greatest rivals.

"Look what the men's team achieved in September 2005 - we need the support of the Green and White Army too, especially in our first away match and will welcome as many people as possible to come along.

"This is the first time the NI women's team have qualified for a major Championship and we are delighted to be playing against such great countries but we need all the people of Northern Ireland to get behind us."

To prepare his squad, Alfie has organised a packed training schedule and fitness regime for the girls, including 'friendly matches' against ROI, Scotland, Irish University select team, and St Mary's University.

The NI girls qualified for the group stages of the tournament by coming top of their group in the preliminary round above Turkey, Georgia and Croatia which was hosted by Turkey in November 2006.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/local-heroes/article2356786.ece

Offline Dizzy

• Are You Dizzy Blud!?
    • View Profile
Re: Women's football: Wylie plans to call up exiles
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 01:16:11 PM »
exiles....it sounds like we wer kicked out of the country r sumink.....:P

[attachment deleted by admin]
Football:

Created by men

Perfected by women

Offline becky09

• View Profile
Re: Women's football: Wylie plans to call up exiles
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 05:00:03 PM »
this is funny because me old coach from Carson Newman who is from N.I asked me if i had any distant relatives that were from N.I hahaha one of me best mates plays for them like, and has been the captain a few times too, Julie Nelson, shes class, shes back over in the states right now for this season
Champions of Norway!!!!!