Author Topic: The Cup 2011  (Read 9392 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Re: The Cup 2011
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2011, 10:02:10 AM »
Røa could not break the code, and lost Saturday's Cup Final.  Elise Thorsnes could not understand how it happened.  "We lost to Stabæk for the third time time this year, it's so utterly bitter.  I can't understand how we didn't manage to beat them", said Thorsnes to VG Nett after the match.

Thorsnes made a huge contribution to the match and had several big chances.  "We drove all over them for 93 minutes, then they scored.  The referee let them play long over time, then they took advantage.  I can't describe how bad that feels", she said.

She says it's bad to lose a cup final, especially when they felt they had controlled the entire match.  They should have brought the win home, but lost the match in the last seconds.  "We gave everything, a top performance, but there's nothing to show for it.  There's something between us and Stabæk, they seem to have a hold on us".  

Thorsnes suffered badly from cramp in the later stages of the match, and also played with a damaged and painful toe.

"We didn't break the Stabæk code, even though we were very close today", said trainer Geir Nordby.  He is proud of the morale in the team and the effort that went in after Stabæk had scored in the last second.  "I got the shivers, but we raised ourselves up again.  I think we played a match that we can be proud of", said Nordby.

Christine Bergby http://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/kvinner/artikkel.php?artid=10031352
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:38:19 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Drama attracted more viewers
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2011, 09:08:16 AM »
Saturday's dramatic conclusion to the Cup Final brought in a record total of viewers for NRK1 in a women's match.  The total reached 543,000 during the penalty shootout.  Earlier the figure had varied between 2-300,000 during the match.

"The high figure is first and foremost due to the high drama, which reached its peak in extra time and the penalties.  Also it was a match between the two best teams and there was a great atmosphere in the stadium", said NRK's information chief.

In Telenor Arena there were 7648 spectators.  "It's far ahead of the usual Toppserien crowd and is something we must take forward", he said.  

The men's final on Sunday atttracted 835,000 viewers.

Yasmin Sunde Hoel http://fotball.adressa.no/kvinner/article214496.ece

Cup Final teams 2011:

Røa:
Caroline Knutsen -
Line Holter, Hedda Strand Gardsjord, Siri Nordby, Janne Stange (Ingrid B. Søndenå 90+3) -
Guro Knutsen Mienna, Marthe Braavold Johansen, Lene Mykjåland -
Emilie B. Haavi (Andrea Frøshaug 88), Stine Andreassen (June Tårnes 80), Elise Thorsnes.

Stabæk:
Ingrid Hjelmseth -
Line Eithun Hauge (Ingrid Camilla Fosse Sæthre 113), Siri Nordeide Grønli, Toril Hetland Akerhaugen, Ingrid Bakke -
Katrine S. Pedersen, Lise Klaveness -
Caroline Graham Hansen -
Ida Elise Enget (Telma Thrastadottir 67), Kristy Moore, Ina Helen Levorsen Skaug (Trine B. Rønning 46).

Photos from the match http://www.fotballmagasinet.no/?mode=slideshow&id=908
Photos from the banquet: http://www.fotballmagasinet.no/?mode=slideshow&id=909
(some fantastic pictures)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:36:26 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Hjelmseth the hero
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2011, 12:22:28 PM »
Ingrid Hjelmseth stood like the legendary living wall against Røa's goal-hungry attackers in the Cup Final.  She deserves a lot of the credit for keeping Stabæk in the match, and in the end they managed to equalise - in the 95th minute.  It led to extra time and a penalty shootout, in which she again excelled by making two dramatic saves.  The Stabæk players were able to take the Cup in their third season.

"I place this very high, perhaps my biggest triumph.  It was great to take bronze at the European Cup [in 2009], but winning with your club is something else.  You have a togetherness and a tremendous feeling of club spirit", said Norway's keeper.

Røa created nine big chances in Saturday's Final, and the 31-year-old keeper saved seven of them, as well as making other classy saves.  "She is very important for the team.  I am so happy it came to a penalty shooutout which gave Ingrid the chance to be the matchwinner.  She works so hard and really deserves it", said trainer Roger Finjord.

In recent years Hjelmseth has produced some great goalkeeping performances.  This season she has conceded only two goals at Stabæk's home at Nadderud, and in home matches in 2010 she broke the records by conceding none at all.  

Yasmin Sunde Hoel http://fotball.adressa.no/kvinner/article214332.ece
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 01:20:12 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Volunteered for the winning penalty
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2011, 12:48:41 PM »
Siri Nordeide Grønli volunteered for a penalty kick in the Cup Final when the teams finished at 2-2 after extra time.  The 27-year-old with the unlucky number 13 on her shirt took the kick - and won the match.

"Indescribable.  It was huge to turn and face my teammates after the shot went in", she said after placing the 14th spot-kick well beyond the reach of Caroline Knutsen in the Røa goal.  "I have kicked penalties against Caro before, and have never succeeded against her.  She is a fantastic keeper on penalties, and I remember the Norway Cup final when she was with Vålerenga and I was with Asker", said Grønli.

Stabæk had not talked about a penalty shootout beforehand.  When it finally materialised, Roger Finjord selected the first few.  At 4-4 it was sudden-death, and he left it up to the players themselves.  "Katrine (Pedersen), our captain, asked who wanted to take the seventh penalty, and everyone looked the other way.  Then I said, 'OK, I'll take it!'.  I was not that nervous".

"But it's a long walk down to the penalty spot, and the nerves welled up.  Then I met Ingrid (Hjelmseth), our keeper, and she said, 'I love you whatever happens', and kissed me on the forehead.  After that I had nothing to lose", said Grønli.

Hjelmseth had already saved two penalties after having kept the team in the match with many good saves.  She was as much the matchwinner as Grønli, but the records will show for all time that it was the central defender with the last kick of the day who secured Stabæk's first Cup win on the women's side.

"It has been a difficult season for us.  It was very important to beat Røa in the last Toppserien match to go through to the Champions League.  If we were to beat them again today in the last match of the season we would have taken that as well, but now we have it we welcome it", said Siri Nordeide Grønli.

NTB http://fotball.adressa.no/kvinner/article214303.ece  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:07:11 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Lost on penalties
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2011, 06:29:18 PM »
Røa lost to Stabæk in the Cup Final on Saturday.  Twice they went ahead and twice they were pegged back.  We congratulate Stabæk as the 2011 champions, but also the Dynamite Girls on an exemplary match, especially the first half.

Røa has always had problems with Stabæk in all official matches, apart from the first home match in 2009 when Røa took the Toppserien title.  Only a week earlier Stabæk had come out on top in a match they had to win to take second place behind Røa in the league.

Røa dominated the Cup Final totally and pressed Stabæk repeatedly with shots raining in, and big chances going to Elise Thorsnes, Lene Mykjåland and Stine Andreassen in the first 20 minutes.  After 33 minutes Emilie Haavi won a duel with keeper Ingrid Hjelmseth and a centre-back, and steered the ball into goal.  Then after 42 minutes Andreassen noticed Stabæk's keeper off her line and sent a beautiful long shot that soared towards the crossbar and dipped nicely before Hjelmseth jumped and got a hand to it - party football.  

In the second half Stabæk came out a different team and were quicker than Røa at times but created few big chances.  Røa had more chances from Mykjåland and Thorsnes, but there were no more goals until, well into stoppage time, the inevitable happened.  A cheap free kick was lobbed over the whole defence, and Stabæk captain Katrine Pedersen won the duel with Hedda Strand Gardsjord at the far post to head the ball down into goal in the dying seconds.  The score was 1-1 and extra time loomed.

Extra time went the same way but the play surged up and down the field more.  Røa were near with a nice shot from Guro Knutsen Mienna, then Stabæk had a couple of good chances.  In the second period Thorsnes sent in a long shot that Hjelmseth punched away, but it came down on Toril Akerhaugen who could not bring it under control.  2-1 to Røa, but this time the lead was short-lived.  Stabæk won two duels and the ball found an unmarked Kristy Moore.  For the first time in her Stabæk career she scored against us.  The goal came so late that penalties were inevitable.

There's no point in analysing it.  Røa lost in the most frustrating way possible but can hold their heads up as the best team through 90 minutes.  The next target is to be the best for 90 minutes and the rest.      

Røa's best player:  Lene Mykjåland,
Stabæk's best player: Ingrid Hjelmseth.

Web editor  http://www.dynamitegirls.no/?p=6926      
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
A sporting rivalry
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2011, 12:14:54 PM »
Stabæk and Røa are two top clubs that love to hate each other.  The Cup Final is about prestige.

Lise Klaveness, Stabæk:  "Why do you want to win the Final?" - "Because we care about beating Røa.  We have never lost to them in an official match, but also, they have never lost a cup final.  So both teams are favourites in their own way".

"How would you describe the relationship between the two clubs?" - "It's love-hate.  We are neighbours geographically and in the table, so it's a quite unique relationship in Norwegian football.  I am very impressed with Røa and the players, they are dedicated and skillful.  But we are fed up with losing titles to them.  Even when we beat them, they always manage to look best afterwards".

"Why are you so irritated by each other?" - "It's something we keep wondering about.  They go around with pearl earrings and are a bit snobbish, and they think we are tougher.  Their supporters call us a 'bought' team.  And they go round saying how happy and smiling they are all the time, it gets a bit superficial".

"Is the Final a needle match?" - "Really we are psyching ourselves up.  The rivalry is real but we have a lot of fun with it as well.  Many of us are friends off the field".

"What do you think of all the attention Røa gets, especially about the date auction?" - "A lot's been said but I like it when Røa tries to be a club with a little colour.  Other clubs have a lot to learn from them.  I am tired of the image women's football has.  It's all a bit heavy and gloomy, but we who play the game have a lot of fun and need to show it more".

"You won the league last year, Røa this year.  Which team is really the best?" - "This year we have had many many injuries, but we have matchwinners and experienced players.  Røa are better than us in deciding individual matches, but I think Røa would agree we are the best team when we have a full turnout".

Siri Nordby, Røa:  "How do you describe the relationship between Stabæk and Røa?" - "Out of all the teams in the league it's Stabæk we really want to beat.  Matches between us are always contests".

"Why are you so irritated with each other?" - "It's natural because we are neighbours and compete at the top.  I think they get irritated with us when we do things differently and not always by the book, but succeed anyway.  They get irritated with all the attention we get".

"Do you deserve all the attention?" - "Yes.  We are good at advertising ourselves, like with the date auction.  They could do that if they wanted to".

"Is the rivalry fun or serious?" - "There's seriousness behind it, bit it's mostly fun.  Many of the players on either side know each other and are friends.  I don't really think any of the players hate each other, but it's a real sporting rivalry".

"How much prestige is there in the Cup?" - "Very much.  It's also a local derby and winning the final is the biggest experience we have here at home.  I don't know how it feels to lose a cup final, and I don't want to find out either".

"Why should people come and watch?" - "There are two teams that play good football that will entertain the public".

Yasmin Sunde Hoel http://fotball.adressa.no/kvinner/article214205.ece 
Alltid. Uansett.