Author Topic: FA Cup Quarter Final Sunderland v Arsenal  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
FA Cup Quarter Final Sunderland v Arsenal
« on: March 26, 2011, 01:16:19 PM »
Can Sunderland cause another upset? I'm not confident tbh. We can beat anyone at home as i've said many times but we'll have to be on top form to beat Arsenal.

Hope we can at least give them a game, with Abbey Holmes taking Jordan Nobbs out at some point in the 1st half  :D

Haway the lasses!
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

sylvain

Re: FA Cup Quarter Final Sunderland v Arsenal
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:58:05 PM »
Poor Jordan, she was coaching kids this morning and seem upbeat after that great result in the champions league.
I will be at the game if I don't miss the flight tomorrow morning.
I think the Arsenal girls are on their toes because all the recent games have been quite close and have not forgotten last year League defeat.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 02:45:32 PM »
I'm only joking about Jordan, i didn't mean she would harm her ;) Still love her to bits and miss watching her on a Sunday :(

Games have been close recently and of course that defeat last season, but we had a lot more quality in the side then - Jordan Nobbs, Lucy Bronze, Lucy Staniforth - there's a big difference in class now, but like i said hopefully we can give you a good game.

I'll be there, i'll buy you a pint if the Hetton Centre is open ;)

"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

sylvain

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:57:52 PM »
I know you were joking. You can buy me a coke lol, don't drink much those days.
I really think it is going to be tight like the previous games but don't mind if we win easily but it won't be likely to happen.

sylvain

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:48:49 AM »
Sorry Steve, won't be there, I missed the flight by 2 minutes...arrived at check-in at T-43 instead of T-45.
Not enough tube train on Sundays to Heathrow...

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 12:17:15 PM »
Ahh well, nevermind mate. Join the SWFC facebook fanpage (link is in my sig) i'll be txting score updates as they happen if you don't want to wait till after the game  ;)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »
Sunderland 1 Arsenal 0 Furness with the header from a corner

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 02:02:10 PM »
Half time Sunderland 1 Arsenal 0

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 02:10:24 PM »
Sunderland 1 Arsenal 1 now

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »
Sunderland 2 Arsenal 2 is the latest score

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 02:56:18 PM »
2-2 Full Time - Extra time to be played

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 03:01:37 PM »
Sunderland 2 Arsenal 3 in extra time so far

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 03:32:58 PM »
Full Time Sunderland 2 Arsenal 3

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 06:21:42 PM »
Really, really proud of the girls. Mick Mulhern said we would have a go at them and we did, the lasses were great today. We've beaten Lincoln and give Arsenal a real run for their money. Maybe there isn't that big a difference between a decent WPL side and a SL side afterall.

Quarter finals of both the League and FA Cup, and still in with a good shout of winning the WPL title, wouldn't have believed anyone if they'd said to me that's where we'd be at this point before the season started.

MICK MULHERN'S RED AND WHITE ARMY!!  ;D

Good luck to Arsenal for the rest of the competition, they'll be the favs to win it now. Arsenal for the FA Cup, CL and SL treble? What you reckon?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 06:26:51 PM by Mackem Steve »

sylvain

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 06:41:54 PM »
Double maybe but the Champions League win is very unlikely, because beating Lyon is hard enough but in the final awaits either Potsdam or Duisburg...

sylvain

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 08:19:15 PM »
Just been told Ellen White x 2 and Julie Fleeting were our goalscorers.
Good to see our center-forwards doing the job.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 09:23:13 PM »
Yea Sylvain, they look very good, and dangerous! This is the match report from the official SWFC site -

Sunderland Ladies fell at the quarter final stage of the Women’s FA Cup to a star studded Arsenal side in a five goal thriller at the Hetton Centre on Sunday.
In an evenly contested game the visitors grabbed the winner in extra time but Sunderland pushed them all the way. In front of a crowd of just under 600 they belied their amateur status against the semi professional might of the Super League giants.

It was a physical start in which both sides showed their early commitment. Ellen White broke down the right to cross for Julie Fleeting to head narrowly wide for the visitors. Then fine play from Rachel Furness on the left resulted in a cross for Natalie Gutteridge to hit a shot on the turn which Emma Byrne got down well to save.  Steph Bannon and Gemma Wilson were coping well with the threat of Fleeting and Danielle Carter through the middle and it was Bannon who blocked well as Kim Little broke away on goal. Vicki Greenwell floated in a dangerous free kick which was scrambled clear with Gutteridge and Furness closing in. The Wearsiders got the breakthrough their play deserved as they took the lead in the 21st minute. Demi Stokes took a right wing corner and Furness out jumped the defence to head past Byrne and send the large crowd wild. It was end to end stuff as both sides pushed forward at every opportunity as a Keira Ramshaw cross saw Gutteridge’s header saved by Byrne. Sunderland were dealt a blow as Wilson had to be replaced through injury but Sarah McFadden slotted seamlessly into central defence. Ramshaw pulled her shot narrowly wide before Rachael Laws collected well from Katie Chapman and on the stroke of half time Stokes went on a mazy run but her effort failed to trouble Byrne.

HT...Sunderland Ladies  1 vs 0  Arsenal Ladies

The Lady Black Cats were caught cold 2 minutes into the second half as Rachel Yankey crossed from the left and Ellen White headed over the despairing Laws and into the top corner. Abby Holmes brought the ball out of defence and switched to McFadden who cleverly beat 2 Arsenal players to bring in Furness but her shot went wide. A Stokes effort was well blocked by Grant before Chapman poked a shot just wide of the Sunderland goal. Then the move of the match saw Kelly McDougall win the ball and bring in Furness down the left to play in Ramshaw who switched it for Stokes to drive in a shot which scraped the bar. Another fine move involving McDougall and Ramshaw resulted in a Sophie Williams effort being saved by Byrne. A slick Arsenal move opened up the home defence and they were grateful to see Little’s shot come back off the bar. Moments later the visitors should have taken the lead, following a quick break the ball came over and Fleeting steered her header wide when well placed. Fleeting made amends though as she gave Arsenal the lead in the 78th minute following a right wing cross from White as she stooped to head home from close in. The visitors joy was short lived however as the Wearsiders stormed back to level in the 80th minute. Stokes swung in a corner from the right and Furness headed back across goal for Bannon to volley home.

FT...Sunderland Ladies 2  vs 2 Arsenal Ladies

As extra time began the home side were again caught cold following a quick Arsenal break. The ball was played across the face of goal and as the clearance fell short White pounced to hit a low shot beyond Laws and into the bottom corner. Little played a clever one two with Fleeting to go clear but Bannon somehow got back to make a brilliant tackle and prevent a certain goal.

Ramshaw and McDougall linked well to set Williams free and her cross caused panic in the visiting defence as the ball was scrambled off the line. A McDougall free kick was met by Bannon but her header was saved by Byrne.  At the death Bannon delivered a dangerous ball into the box which Byrne could only parry out to Ramshaw who returned it goal ward only for Byrne to recover and hold onto the ball with Williams waiting to pounce.

AET...Sunderland Ladies  2 vs 3  Arsenal Ladies

Sunderland...Laws, Holmes, Bannon, Wilson (McFadden), Greenwell,  Ramshaw, Furness (Vaughan), McDougall, Stokes, Williams, Gutteridge(Potts).
Subs (not used)..Salicki, Christon.

Manager Mick Mulhern spoke after the game.. ”We worked hard in training on how to play offensively and defensively against the threat of Arsenal. We didn’t quite manage to beat them but I’m proud of them all. We played very well against one of the best teams in Europe and gave them a good run for their money. It was a great game and unfortunately someone had to lose. But if you are going to lose it might as well be against the best team in the country.”