Author Topic: Under-17 women miss out  (Read 732 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Under-17 women miss out
« on: March 13, 2007, 09:51:24 AM »
The Australian under-17 women's soccer team will not participate in the FIFA Under 17 Women's World Cup in 2008 after being knocked out by China in Kuala Lumpar, Malaysia.

After being defeated 3-1 by China in the opening match on Saturday, the side needed to win by two goals in the second leg but could only muster a 0-0 draw.

Despite dominating play, with Sophie Hogben and Rhali Dobson coming the closest to scoring, the Australians could not break down a stubborn Chinese defence.

"I think we showed what we are capable of but at the same time we also showed what we were missing," Australian coach Mike Mulvey said.

"We need a bit of craft in the last third of the pitch and didn't take the chances that we created. Having said that, I'm happy with the way we played in this tournament and I told the girls that we have to understand defeat if we are to eventually win."

With Australia now out of the competition, China will face Japan in one semi-final, while Korea Republic meet DPR Korea in the other semi, with the top three teams to qualify for the World Cup to be held in New Zealand in 2008.

http://www.sportal.co.nz/soccer.asp?i=news&id=95758