Author Topic: On to the finals  (Read 890 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
On to the finals
« on: March 13, 2007, 09:54:45 AM »
VILA REAL DE SANTO ANTONIO, Portugal (AP) -- Abby Wambach scored two goals and Carli Lloyd got her fourth of the tournament, leading the United States over Sweden 3-2 Monday night for a place in the Algarve Cup final.

The United States, which won the tournament in 2000 and from 2003-05, will play Denmark in Wednesday's final. Sweden needed just a tie to reach the final.

"We wanted to come out and attack not sit back," U.S coach Greg Ryan said.

Wambach put the Americans ahead in the 39th minute when Lindsey Tarpley headed in a cross from Kristine Lilly, and Lloyd made it 2-0 in the 44th when she volleyed home a pass from Stephanie Lopez.

"The other day at practice I said I was going to score today," Wambach said. "So I think really I was trying not to look like a fool with my teammates."

Josefine Oqvist headed Therese Sjogran's corner kick off the turf and into the corner of the goal in the 71st, but Wambach headed in Shannon Boxx's cross in the 72nd. Victoria Svensson converted a penalty kick for Sweden in the 83rd.

"Going back to the '80s ... this team shows up when there is a pressure on the line," Wambach said. "When there's a final on the line, whether you are going to get in or not, this team shows up. We come to play. We don't come to tie games to get into a final. So having to win this game was almost better for us."

Denmark advanced to the final despite a 3-0 loss to Germany, which won the tournament last year.

"Denmark were able to rest people today and will be fresh for the final," Ryan said. "I expect a similar kind of game as tonight, with both sides attacking.

"They are a very attack-oriented team. They send five players on your restraining line and so it's just going to be a game of attacking. We're not going to sit back and defend them all day. We're going to get numbers forward and go after them."

The United States (3-0) won Group B with nine points, followed by Sweden (2-1) and Finland (1-2), a 2-0 winner over China (0-3).

Denmark (2-0-1) won Group A on goal difference over France (2-0-1), which beat Norway 1-0. Germany (1-2) was third on goal difference ahead of Norway (1-2).

Notes: The United States will play China and Brazil in warmup matches before heading to the Women's World Cup. The Americans will play China on June 16 at Cleveland and Brazil seven days later at East Rutherford, N.J., the U.S. Soccer Federation said Monday. They also will play exhibition games on July 14, July 28, Aug. 12 and Aug. 25. The Americans also have exhibition games against Mexico on April 14 at Foxborough, Mass., and Canada on May 12 at Frisco,

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/03/13/women.algarvecup.ap/