Author Topic: We’ll have a go at Arsenal – Mick Mulhern  (Read 2073 times)

Offline John

• View Profile
We’ll have a go at Arsenal – Mick Mulhern
« on: March 15, 2011, 12:25:20 PM »
Published on Tuesday 15 March 2011 11:30

SUNDERLAND Women manager Mick Mulhern says drawing Arsenal in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup was his worst nightmare – but then pledged to have a real go at the mighty Gunners.

The Lady Black Cats beat Super League side Lincoln Ladies 1-0 at Eppleton CW on Sunday, and were then handed a home draw against the cup favourites a week on Sunday.

Arsenal beat holders Everton 2-0 on Sunday and the draw creates a rematch of the 2009 FA Cup final when the Gunners beat Sunderland 2-1 in front of over 23,000 fans at Pride Park.

Four of the eight Super League teams crashed out of the cup on Sunday, making Arsenal even stronger favourites to lift the trophy this year.

“When I saw the other results after we had beaten Lincoln, I had just one wish,” said Mulhern. “Anyone but Arsenal!

“I believe that if we could avoid them in the draw, there was no reason why could not get to the cup final again.

“But we have got Arsenal, and we have to get on with it. And I am sure we will give it a real go to try to get the better of the best team in the country.”

Sunderland caused one of the shock results in the last decade of women’s football when they beat Arsenal in the league last season. But since then, Sunderland failed to win a place in the new Super League and lost their shining star, midfielder Jordan Nobbs, to the Gunners.

Nobbs scored in the shock win against Arsenal last season, with midfield partner Kelly McDougall getting the winner.

“We know all about Jordan’s game, obviously,” said Mulhern. “She was a brilliant player, but at Arsenal she is only a junior part of their team. There will be 11 threats in their team, with the biggest in Kim Little, who is the best player in the country.

“They also have Steph Houghton, who used to play for us, so there’ll be some familiar faces when we play them!

“Beating Arsenal last season was the biggest win of my career as a manager. Beating Chelsea in the semi-final of the FA Cup at the Stadium of Light was great, but beating Arsenal was something very, very special.”

It is the third year in a row that Sunderland will have met Arsenal in the FA Cup – last season the Lady Black Cats were knocked out 4-1 at Arsenal, but only in extra-time after holding them to 1-1 over 90 minutes.

“Of course it is going to be a terrifically hard game, but I’ll always back my team to give it everything they’ve got.”

FA Women’s Cup quarter-final draw: Sunderland v Arsenal, Millwall Lionesses v Bristol Academy, Liverpool v Doncaster Rovers Belles, Barnet v West Ham United.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/women_s_football_we_ll_have_a_go_at_arsenal_mick_mulhern_1_3180171
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
Re: We’ll have a go at Arsenal – Mick Mulhern
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »
Course we will  :) They don't like it up 'em! Haway the lasses GET STUCK IN! :-*
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:07:54 PM »
Course we will  :) They don't like it up 'em! Haway the lasses GET STUCK IN! :-*

What does 'they don't like it up 'em' mean?  I take it to mean 'they don't like being kicked', the implication that they can't take it.  Over recent years I have heard people say that 'Arsenal (men's side) don't like it up 'em'.  Even reporters and TV pundits have been known to say it.  I always think to myself why do they think Arsenal are somehow unique in this.  Let me tell you, nobody likes it 'up em'.

Mick said some very nice comments about this Arsenal side.

PS This is a general point about people saying a team 'don't like it up 'em'.
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:05:17 PM »
Course we will  :) They don't like it up 'em! Haway the lasses GET STUCK IN! :-*

What does 'they don't like it up 'em' mean?  I take it to mean 'they don't like being kicked', the implication that they can't take it.  Over recent years I have heard people say that 'Arsenal (men's side) don't like it up 'em'.  Even reporters and TV pundits have been known to say it.  I always think to myself why do they think Arsenal are somehow unique in this.  Let me tell you, nobody likes it 'up em'.

ha ha John this is my favourite football cliche/saying I personally use it when the team I support is the underdog and to upset the others rhythm you give them no time on the ball and be aggressive in the challenge.. Which is a generally accepted taunt/encouragement in the mens game.. But doesn't translate too well when spectating the Womens game especially at junior level as I've found to my cost it certainly does get "lost in translation" by the uneducated... Lol

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 11:12:48 PM »
Course we will  :) They don't like it up 'em! Haway the lasses GET STUCK IN! :-*

What does 'they don't like it up 'em' mean?  I take it to mean 'they don't like being kicked', the implication that they can't take it.  Over recent years I have heard people say that 'Arsenal (men's side) don't like it up 'em'.  Even reporters and TV pundits have been known to say it.  I always think to myself why do they think Arsenal are somehow unique in this.  Let me tell you, nobody likes it 'up em'.

ha ha John this is my favourite football cliche/saying I personally use it when the team I support is the underdog and to upset the others rhythm you give them no time on the ball and be aggressive in the challenge.. Which is a generally accepted taunt/encouragement in the mens game.. But doesn't translate too well when spectating the Womens game especially at junior level as I've found to my cost it certainly does get "lost in translation" by the uneducated... Lol

Please can you explain what you mean by 'be aggressive in the challenge'? 

Quote from a former Blackburn Rovers coach about playing in an aggressive way: "Obviously teams want to make things as difficult as possible for Arsenal but it's counter-productive to be overly aggressive; that leads to yellow and red cards, a general loss of concentration and, often, poor passing on your own part."

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 11:19:08 PM »

Quote from a former Blackburn Rovers coach about playing in an aggressive way: "Obviously teams want to make things as difficult as possible for Arsenal but it's counter-productive to be overly aggressive; that leads to yellow and red cards, a general loss of concentration and, often, poor passing on your own part."
aggressive in the tackle hmmm Jane Ludlow get it now or can't your rose tinted spectacles let you see that!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:22:19 PM by Billy Hunt »

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 11:43:14 PM »

aggressive in the tackle hmmm Jane Ludwell get it now or can't your rose tinted spectacles let you see that!

I do not understand why some people always try to make this a personal issue with me.  I am just debating a point on a forum.  Why do you seem to think I would hold a different view if an Arsenal player committed an illegal challenge?  You are simply wrong if you think I would ignore it and think it is fine because it is a player from Arsenal.  I simply want the officials to be consistent in cautioning players.  If an Arsenal player commits a foul that is worthy of a caution, you probably think I would hope they are lenient or miss the incident, well you would be wrong because I’d want them to be dealt with in the same way as any other player.  I want the game to be played in a fair way.  If an Arsenal player dives to get a penalty, I am not someone who would ignore it and say that other players dive.  You are talking to someone who thinks it is wrong to claim a thrown-in when the player knows it came off them last.

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 12:01:55 AM »
Billy Hunt - May I draw your attention to the following topic http://www.womensfootball.eu/forum/index.php/topic,6659.0.html  I hold the same views as the person writing the article.

sylvain

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »
All I can think is the referees in this country have a problem with the law 12 of the law of the game.  ::) ???
Every game I have been to :  men , women, premier league championship or Sunday League football.
The referees in France are not better but at least we have a disciplinary commission that suspends players when they have not been punished properly on the pitch.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 10:47:45 AM by sylvain »