Author Topic: Belles Check-In At The Ramada  (Read 1897 times)

sylvain

Belles Check-In At The Ramada
« on: January 04, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »
Doncaster Rovers Belles hope to send their opposition packing - after teaming up with the Ramada Encore Hotel.

Belles boss John Buckley is currently scouring Europe in search of players to bolster his squad ahead of next year's inaugural Women's Super League.

And management at the Ramada, in Finningley, have agreed to provide free accommodation and food for four of the club's international stars for the duration of the 2011 season.

Buckley said “This is a massive deal for us and were really grateful to the Ramada for helping us out. It can cost the club three or four grand to put a player in a flat for the season and then there’s the bills on top of that. So this is saving us quite a bit of money, hopefully we can put those savings to good use and put them towards strengthening the squad.”

In return for their show of support, the Ramada will benefit from their brand being exposed to viewers of ESPN when the satellite sports channel begins broadcasting the new summer league in April.

The Belles will also use the hotel for functions, while their Super League opposition will also be encouraged to stay there.

Andrea Hippsley, Ramada’s commercial manager, said; “We're absolutely delighted to be sponsoring the Doncaster Belles this coming season, and especially as this will be one of the most exciting ever in Women’s football with the launch of Super League.”

“As a relative newcomer to Doncaster, the Encore is proud to be associated with the Belles who have been part of the community for over 40 years. We look forward to celebrating their successes of which I am sure there will be many, if past form is anything to go by.”

Buckley, meanwhile , is planning talks with three more potential new recruits over the Christmas period – including a top Dutch player. Negotiations with a leading Italian player, however, have ended after the two parties failed to agree personal terms.

Buckley said “We're casting our net far and wide to try and bring in the type of quality we need to compete in the Super League. I’m happy with the additions we have made so far but i think we need three of four new faces to be competitive.”

http://www.doncasterroversbelles.co.uk/home.php?section=OPE&category=FTE&subcat=news&action=full&id=582

Donnie going the foreign talent way as probably the English players are now all signed up for other Superleague teams.

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
Re: Belles Check-In At The Ramada
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 08:29:33 PM »
This is a great idea from Donny Belles and the hotel deserves a pat on the back for backing them and supporting women's football.

I just hope all the "free food" doesn't turn their foreign stars into useless big fatties!

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:06:23 AM »
Doncaster Rovers Belles hope to send their opposition packing - after teaming up with the Ramada Encore Hotel.

Belles boss John Buckley is currently scouring Europe in search of players to bolster his squad ahead of next year's inaugural Women's Super League.

And management at the Ramada, in Finningley, have agreed to provide free accommodation anduckley said “This is a massive deal for us and were really grateful to the Ramada for helping us out. It can cost the club three or four grand to put a player in a flat for the season and then there’s the bills on top of that. So this is saving us quite a bit of money, hopefully we can put those savings to good use and put them towards strengthening the squad.”

In return for their show of support, the Ramada will benefit from their brand being exposed to viewers of ESPN when the satellite sports channel begins broadcasting the new summer league in April.

The Belles will also use the hotel for functions, while their Super League opposition will also be encouraged to stay there.

Andrea Hippsley, Ramada’s commercial manager, said; “We're absolutely delighted to be sponsoring the Doncaster Belles this coming season, and especially as this will be one of the most exciting ever in Women’s football with the launch of Super League.”

“As a relative newcomer to Doncaster, the Encore is proud to be associated with the Belles who have been part of the community for over 40 years. We look forward to celebrating their successes of which I am sure there will be many, if past form is anything to go by.”

Buckley, meanwhile , is planning talks with three more potential new recruits over the Christmas period – including a top Dutch player. Negotiations with a leading Italian player, however, have ended after the two parties failed to agree personal terms.

Buckley said “We're casting our net far and wide to try and bring in the type of quality we need to compete in the Super League. I’m happy with the additions we have made so far but i think we need three of four new faces to be competitive.”

http://www.doncasterroversbelles.co.uk/home.php?section=OPE&category=FTE&subcat=news&action=full&id=582

Donnie going the foreign talent way as probably the English players are now all signed up for other Superleague teams.
Reading this Ms. Powell? This will nurture English talent surely? Probs get all the detractors saying foreign talent will enhance our game, but I'm not doubting that cos I never said about it all being English and bringing on our girls.. Did I Hope?

sylvain

Maria Karlsson, who played nine years in Damallsvenskan, is now headed to England to play for Doncaster Rovers Belles in the new FA Women’s Super League, which begins this spring. The 25-year old central midfielder/defender, who had 154 caps and scored 17 goals during her time in Damallsvenskan, becomes the first Swedish international to sign for a team in England’s new semi-professional league.

“I’m really looking forward and feel excited to play for Doncaster and to be the first Swedish player in WSL,” Karlsson said. “I had a really good treatment when I visited the club, and it’s going to be nice to meet the girls. I’m very grateful that I’ve got this opportunity, and I’ll do my absolute best to help my team to be successful this year.”

In Sweden, Karlsson played for Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC from 2002-2008 and then for Linköping FC from 2009-2010. Karlsson won the league and the cup with Linköping in 2009, and she has played in the Champions League (2009 and 2010) where she has nine caps and five goals. She also had 57 caps with the Swedish youth national teams.

In addition to Karlsson, Doncaster has signed a number of players so far this offseason, including Canadian international Kylla Sjoman, who played her college soccer at Arizona State University, English youth national defender Amy Turner, who played stateside for Hofstra University, Irish international Aine O’Gorman, former Nottingham Forest and England U-20 defender Lyndsey Cunningham, and former Buffalo Flash forward Katie Holtham.

http://ourgamemagazine.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/maria-karlsson-becomes-first-swedish-international-to-sign-in-fa-womens-super-league/

Another foreign talent for Hope Powell lol

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 05:36:59 PM »
going to have to brush up on my Scandanavian phrases for Super League

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »
Linkopings apparently had two players named Maria Karlsson.

This is the younger one, who's never played for the senior Sweden team, but is described as very versatile and athletic. Obviously has decent pedigree with all those years in Damallsvenkan, Champions League and Sweden youth caps.

Should be a good signing and I think the player deserves credit for coming and giving it a go in England. I doubt she's getting megabucks, but hopefully she picks up some experience to make her a better all-round player and enjoys her breakfasts at the Ramada!