Author Topic: Girl's Centre of Excellences - Reduction in Numbers  (Read 140523 times)

Offline cheeks100

• View Profile
Girl's Centre of Excellences - Reduction in Numbers
« on: February 12, 2011, 02:01:31 PM »
I am hearing on the grapevine that are going to big changes in the Centre of Excellence process ie the number of Centres is going to be reduced by 22 - half will go.

I know not everyone likes CoE but I have been involved with 2 with my daughters for the last couple of years and I think they are a good thing especially when they join forces with the senior womens and mens clubs. 

Anyone else know anything. Surely this is a bad move for womens footy and not in line with the professional league starting up soon

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
Re: Girl's Centre of Excellences - Reduction in Numbers
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:25:25 PM »
I'm not sure what the current process is?

In my ignorance I thought all Football League teams had a girls CoE (or academy, whatever the difference is (?))   ???

Offline cheeks100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 11:19:10 AM »
They are FA funded to the tune of £34k per year per centre.  There are about 50 of them in uk some attached to womens seniors and some attached to mens clubs or both.  Roughly half will go.

I think if true it really sad as it shows how FA see the womens sport.  Fastest growing sport but reducing number of centres.  Crazey.

Be interested if anyone else has heard anything.

Offline cheeks100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:56:28 PM »
No longer grapevine but now confirmed FA are reducing number of centres of excellence from 52 to 30.  Very very sad news for women's football.

sylvain

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 12:13:37 AM »
I thought the FA was trying to develop the grassroots football for the girls?
This is strange.

Offline Betty Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 01:09:56 AM »
No longer grapevine but now confirmed FA are reducing number of centres of excellence from 52 to 30.  Very very sad news for women's football.

They are, apparently there will be player developments centres to replace the centres of excellences and funding available to clubs so girls who are good players but not equal to the standard of excellence centres can go there as a pathway to what now appears to be  elite centres???

SpeedoS3

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 01:38:04 AM »
Where has this been confirmed?

Understandable in terms of 'cost-cutting' and in areas where there are more than one in close vicinity e.g. Merseyside and the FA will never fund two in say, Manchester. It would increase the quality coming out of one club, but also limit the advancement of other clubs. Bet the WSL clubs keep theirs. Any ideas on whether this is going to be phased or a straight cut of centres. Also when is this due?

Offline cheeks100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 09:34:32 AM »
One of my daughters attends a coe and the coaches have spoken to them about it and they have been told they will be getting a letter shortly.

I would have thought it would have been better to cut the funding for the younger age groups but retain for u14 and u16 and have the "Elite" centres for the older age groups.

My experience with the u10s especially - that they havent had the numbers at trials and they havent got the best or anywhere near best for the area.

I'm guessing the new chief exec of FA has come along and thought pah whats this all  about "girls football" - load a rubbish - £1/2 a million pound a year - get rid.

Anymore info on the development centres would be great.  Shame the FA are publicising the intent.

Here's the current list of centres http://www.thefa.com/GetIntoFootball/Players/PlayersPages/WomensAndGirls/NewsandFeatures/2010/CentresContacts

I thinks its going to be a straight cut sat the end of this season.  

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:42:57 AM by cheeks100 »

SpeedoS3

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:37:56 AM »
I myself have coached at a girls centre of excellence and have been involved at the same level on the mens side.

I know what you mean about the amount of players which turn up for the 10s trials, sometimes due to having so many centre the quality is diluted and I have seen some (not many) players that are just there to make the numbers up, which is poor.

We will see if the FA publisize this in due course...1 step forward, 2 steps back...

Offline cheeks100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 05:41:35 AM »
I have a bit more info - the centres will be running the following age groups u11,u13,u15,u17 note the extra year.  At U17 there will be a competitive league structure plus national cup.

SpeedoS3

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 02:14:56 PM »
I have a bit more info - the centres will be running the following age groups u11,u13,u15,u17 note the extra year.  At U17 there will be a competitive league structure plus national cup.

cheers, where's the info from? I take it increasing from u11 from u10 they dont feel the quality/quantity of player/s is there just yet for u10's? Something I certainly noticed from working at a Girls Coe, too many players making up the numbers and a lack of keepers.

Offline cheeks100

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 03:03:45 PM »
The development centres will u9 not CoEs.

Its a communication to parents from a coe.

SpeedoS3

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 03:56:12 PM »
The development centres will u9 not CoEs.

Its a communication to parents from a coe.

I see, thanks. However I have some friends who are coaches at a COE and I recently asked them about the cuts and they said they've not heard anything?

Offline croc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 10:18:45 PM »
We've had a letter about it but it just says the CoE will apply for a licence to remain one but don't know if they'll get it.  Be interesting to know when the decision will be made by as kids might want to make alternative arrangements for next season.   

Does anyone know what a Player Development Centre is and how it differs from a CoE.   At the moment my daughter is training twice a week and playing on games on Sundays.   She was in two minds as to whether she should join the CoE in the first place as she was quite happy at the boys team she was playing for before so if the whole thing is going to fold it'd be nice to know early while the door would still be open to go back to her old team for next season.   x

Offline cheeks100

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 10:01:24 AM »
There will be 62 centres and 30 will be development centres and 32 will be coe.

The are exisitng development centres (I guess they have been the pilot) where coe players can go to the training but the players can still play for a club.  I wonder if they will follow these lines.  I dont believe they have matches though just training.

At a guess if your daughter is good enough to play for a coe you will probably have to travel across several counties to training if your current coe in your area isnt selected.

Is it not too much to ask to have a coe in each county.

Wrt to your daughter - it depends how old she is - if she is young - I think it is god to play with the boys teams. However at some point (I think it 12 y o now recently changed) she will have to switch to a girls team so better sooner than later.

fabregas04

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 04:44:49 PM »
Do you not think that this could be a good thing, my daughter plays at Under 16 level and we have had two really competitive games this season, one being against Arsenal the other against Charlton, all the other games we have one easily, the standard of football needs to raise at C O E level ( i'm only referring to the L & SE region ) there must be only a handful of C O E's that could compete to a decent standard nationally, surely if the girls can see a natural progression through the age groups and finally playing for the womens team/reserves this must be a good thing. Instead of C O E's just letting the girls turn up and take their money, how can Counties be given a licence just for having a team at each age group and ticking all the boxes, surely it has to come down to football. It's about time we went back to the competitive leagues of a few years ago for the Under 16's, having been watching my daughter at a C O E for nearly ten years & playing for her country i just wish the FA would've done it earlier......................................
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:16:49 PM by fabregas04 »

Offline cheeks100

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 06:47:16 PM »
Well the new new U17 CoE is going to be competitive.

I have seen the standards really improving over the last few years.  Id like tyo see some more info on the new structure to see what its about

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:06:52 AM by cheeks100 »

fabregas04

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 10:24:45 AM »
We've heard that all C O E's will have to apply for a licence, any that have not been granted one will merely be run as development centres for the 'elite' centres. An announcement will be made in June as to who has/has not been successful, this could cause havoc as most centres that run trials usually do so in that month !!!

If the U17's go competitive, maybe they should think of restructuring the areas covered, thirty teams for the whole of the UK how will they do that???, three regions the north, midlands & the south ???? And who decides which centres are classed as elite ???

Why dont they just have two leagues of fifteen, most parents would welcome the chance to play different teams nationally, the chance of playing Arsenal, Chelsea, Villa, Blackburn week in week out seems more desirable than playing (and no disrespect to the smaller clubs) counties and ending up with a cricket score at the end of the game.

If you want the level/standard of football to improve you need to be playing the bigger clubs week in & week out, then any players from the development centres if good enough will be given the chance to play 'elite football'.

We already have a 'development centre' in place up to the Under 14 age group, but rarely pick any new players up from there, so depending where the new 'development centre's' are i cant see too many new players coming from there either !!!!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:57:59 PM by fabregas04 »

Offline cheeks100

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 06:21:40 PM »
I am currently with a "smaller" club but I have seen some real improvements over the last few years not just player development but forging links with the senior mens club (Championship - former Premiership) and allowing the girls to use their facilities (which are amazing).

It will be a shame to see this disappear if this is so.

Offline mrsp

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 06:49:32 PM »
We also found out that the ages are going to be grouped in birth year rather than school year ::),also C.O.Es will find out if they have retained there status on June 3rd