Author Topic: National team 2011  (Read 32459 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
National team 2011
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:35:21 PM »
Landsem continues in charge

Eli Landsem has extended her contract with the national women's team for two years, along with assistant trainer Hans Knutsen.  Landsem's contract originally lasted until the end of 2010 but the contract now ends at the end of 2012 with an option to continue if Norway qualifies for the next European Cup.

The NFF announced the news in a press release on Tuesday.  "I am very glad to have the extended contract, especially to have it in good time for the World Cup in the summer.  This is a dream job.  Cooperation with the clubs is good, and we have a very exciting group of players", said Landsem to fotball.no.

She has already led Norway to qualification for the World Cup.  "Eli and Hans have delivered strong results and done a very good job so far.  This is important for continuity, and we have great belief in a solid performance in the World Cup", said top football chief Nils Johan Semb.

Eli Landsem took over on October 1, 2009, and in 8 matches she has led the team to ten wins, four draws and four defeats. 

http://www.tv2sporten.no/fotball/landsem-forlenger-med-norge-3379139.html
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
La Manga squad
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »
The squad selected for the training camp - 27 players:

Goalkeepers
Ingrid Hjelmseth, Stabæk
Erika Skarbø, Arna-Bjørnar

Defenders
Maren Mjelde, Arna-Bjørnar 
Trine Rønning, Stabæk
Toril H Akerhaugen, Stabæk
Nora Holstad Berge, Linköping
Ingrid Ryland, Arna-Bjørnar
Runa Vikestad, Kolbotn
Hedda Strand Gardsjord, Røa
Marita Skammelsrud Lund, LSK Kvinner
Anja Sønstevold, Kolbotn

Midfielders
Lisa-Marie Woods, free agent
Guro Knutsen Mienna, Røa
Gry Tofte Ims, Klepp
Ingvild Stensland, Lyon
Lene Storløkken, LSK Kvinner
Lise Klaveness, Stabæk
Ingvild Isaksen, Kolbotn
Madeleine Giske, Arna-Bjørnar

Forwards
Lene Mykjåland, Røa
Elise Thorsnes, Røa
Cecilie Pedersen, Avaldsnes
Cathrine Dekkerhus, LSK Kvinner
Isabell Herlovsen, Lyon
Leni Larsen Kaurin, Wolfsburg
Lindy Melissa Wiik, Wolfsburg
Kristine W Hegland, Arna-Bjørnar

Emilie Haavi presumably still injured.  :(

Matches

Norway vs Netherlands, 20 January, 18.00
Norway vs England, 21 January, 18.00
For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name / He writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Re: National team 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:32:24 PM »
That is a more balanced 2-9-8-8 squad.  I suppose Hegland is there as a 'lærejente' for experience until Emilie is well again, and only 18 or 20 (depending on finance) would go on a foreign trip.
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 11:41:32 PM »
Emilie Haavi is injured still, Samuel. But I should not worry too much about that.

There are several interesting names here, though. I particularly noted Nora Holstad Berge, and I agree that she should be considered for the back spot even though she is a midfielder in Linköping. The massive 27-player squad shows that Eli is taking her job seriously.

Otherwise, I consider Hegland, Dekkerhus and Kaurin midfielders, but that's one of those minor points.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:25:58 AM »
Emilie Haavi is injured still, Samuel. But I should not worry too much about that.

There are several interesting names here, though. I particularly noted Nora Holstad Berge, and I agree that she should be considered for the back spot even though she is a midfielder in Linköping. The massive 27-player squad shows that Eli is taking her job seriously.

Otherwise, I consider Hegland, Dekkerhus and Kaurin midfielders, but that's one of those minor points.
That's interesting, because those three are definitely attacking midfielders with experience in the forward line.  I guess Nora Holstad Berge is the other sort, a defensive midfielder who can be interchanged with the back four, like Ingvild Stensland.

So in a 4-4-2 you can get the outer midfielders and backs up into the attack to make the opponents feel outnumbered and unable to readjust quickly enough.

I think it was the Germans who pioneered the idea of getting the backs forward but it has been taken up very successfully at Røa, and in the WNT in the World Cup and Olympics, and I think most Toppserien clubs are trying it now.  At Stabæk, Siri Nordeide Grønli at right back has produced a lot of dangerous situations with her speed up the wing, and other clubs have been slow to see it developing.  I can remember a desperate shout of "somebody go!!" when she did it against Donn.

Alltid. Uansett.

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 01:15:30 AM »
You can attack from the back and wings but it traditionally happens in a system with patient deliberate built attacks.  Employing it in a direct version of the game is much more difficult in terms of coordination and fitness.  Especially if you're playing another direct team and it's not just runs on the counter in one direction.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 03:55:59 PM »
I particularly noted Nora Holstad Berge, and I agree that she should be considered for the back spot even though she is a midfielder in Linköping.
I checked up on Nora Holstad Berge . . she played in every match that Linköping played on their way to 3rd place in the Damallsvenskan, and she played 90 minutes in 16 of the 22 matches.  They had a goal difference of 39-15 which indicates an effective defence.  

She is an experienced defensive midfielder after last season, as well as an experienced central defender from Kolbotn.  In that way she does the same job as Ingvild Stensland, which is an insurance in case Ingvild's back gives problems.

Solveig Gulbrandsen was the vice captain last year, do we know who the new one is yet?   Is Maren Mjelde ready for what will one day be her job without a doubt?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:57:46 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 11:37:08 PM »
OK, as I have already published my thoughts in Norwegian:

1. The lack of left back alternatives makes your double attack (back and midfielder) difficult. Akerhaugen is too much of a defensive player, and rarely leaves the defensive half. Also, throwing in whoever's left is not the recommended way to go. I'd rather go for Sandvei than, say, Hegland, but that's me.

2. While Erika and Ingrid are the best keepers, it is somewhat risky not to have a contender in case either is injured.

3. With Stensland injured, Eli should have thought of alternatives in the anchor position: Braavold Johansen or Wulf, perhaps.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 11:58:48 PM »

3. With Stensland injured, Eli should have thought of alternatives in the anchor position: Braavold Johansen or Wulf, perhaps.

Woods and Ims are already in the squad though?
For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name / He writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game.

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 07:46:22 AM »
Well, I see Woods as Stensland's partner in the central defense. Ims is therefore the only option, unless Landsem tries Berge in that spot. And if Landsem is trying out all kinds of players, then she has few alternatives in that spot.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 03:32:35 PM »
Well, I see Woods as Stensland's partner in the central defense. Ims is therefore the only option, unless Landsem tries Berge in that spot. And if Landsem is trying out all kinds of players, then she has few alternatives in that spot.
OK Andreas, I quite agree except I think midstoppers in Norwegian are usually called central defenders.  While on the subject, I don't think it is right to call them centre-halves, despite Wikipedia, because that position goes back to the old 2-3-5 days of history, and there was one centre-half, in between the right-half and the left-half (the three midfielders were called half-backs and the two defenders were full-backs, as in rugby, which also has three-quarter backs :)).  

So Stensland and Woods are the two choices for the central midfield, that seems right, and Berge and Ims are also good examples, as well as Marthe Braavold Johansen and Tina Wulf (and Stine Andreassen and Kristin Lindblom).

From Eli's list, Ryland (right back or right midfielder) and Gardsjord (right back) are the only ones who play as side-backs at their clubs.  I agree that right/left back should not be just a place where players can be put when there is no room anywhere else.  A right or left back is essential in the attack as well as the defence.  Gunhild Følstad was the supreme example - she mastered it, and could play either side, despite always being a central defender in her club :)    
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 03:38:18 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 03:45:07 PM »
Nobody has mentioned her as an option but I saw Mjelde play Stensland's position this summer for her club.

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 01:49:30 AM »
You're quite right, Alan, I did mean central midfielders.

Also, Mjelde is most likely considered only for her defensive skills. Mjelde primarily plays right or central midfielder at Arna-Bjørnar, that is true, but I doubt that Eli cares much for traditional positions. We still consider Guro a midfielder, but I think that Eli is considering her as an alternative right back.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 11:27:45 AM »
You're quite right, Alan, I did mean central midfielders.

There isn't that huge a difference between central midfielders and anchors, no? In the Røa system, there is, but Landsem prefers the diamond with one anchor and one playmaker behind the strikers. There's no real central midfielder (though the wing players in our diamond tend to move into the centre, clumping play, and doesn't get any help from the wing backs to create width).

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »
Well, Stensland does either job, but there is not a lot of difference.  She does the traditional distribution job of a midfield anchor as well.

Going back to what Andreas wrote, putting Guro at right back is not a bad idea if she is being thought of as a third winger, because she has the speed to go forward on the overlap, and when she gets there she knows what to do.  Ingrid Ryland is the same.  I would say this is preferable to the other option of putting a central defender out at right- or left-back, provided you are not playing USA or Germany :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:43:43 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »
Stensland, Thorsnes, Mykjåland and Akerhaugen had to withdraw. Stensland and Akerhaugen are injured, Thorsnes and Mykjåland I don't know about. Replacements: Caroline Knutsen, Siri Nordeide Grønli and ICFS (I kid you not).
http://www.fotball.no/Landslag_og_toppfotball/Landslag/A-kvinner/2011/Forfall-til-La-Manga/

Good to see that she brought in another keeper and a defender. ICFS might be the one to take on Sola's old spot. While she is a striker, she strikes (sorry) me as one to make assists rather than goals.

EDIT: Thorsnes and Mykjåland are also injured. Elise has a knee injury and Lene the groin.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:31:34 PM by Andreas Kolle »

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 09:41:26 PM »
Right time of year to be injured, I suppose. It does make it hard to go through stamina training though.

Offline law10

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 09:44:39 PM »
How tragic.  I really hope they are both minor injuries.  I had to sit out an entire season once because of a third degree groin pull but I could ride the bike fine.  It was just planting and cutting that aggravated it.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 11:46:37 PM »
Andreas, maybe I was a bit more impressed by Ingrid Camilla Fosse etc.  She did score a few goals, she was also good in the midfield, but what convinced me is her quick wits in the penalty area, both in setting up other players and in picking up her own opportunities.  I didn't see her play a bad match last season.  Last time she was selected for the national team she got injured, but I would be very confident to see her running on with the flag on her short.   

Melissa Wiik needs to improve her ratio of hits to chances.  How that is done is the $64 question but I hope she gets among the goals in 2011.
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 12:58:51 AM »
Well, Alan, I am not unimpressed by ICFS, I am just surprised that Eli Landsem uses her given her age. The reason I commented on the others is that I have said numerous times that we need another keeper (in case either fall through) and a defender. I hoped for Sandvei, but Eli is not convinced.

The injuries sustained by Elise and Lene are most likely not serious, according to my sources.