Author Topic: Sunderland 4 Blackburn 1  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
Sunderland 4 Blackburn 1
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:54:04 PM »
Well what can I say. Totally impressed by the girls today (not for the first time) and this definitely sends out a message to the rest of the WPL.

Neither team really created any clear cut chances in the first half but I think what this says about Sunderland in particular is that they have plenty of quality to trouble teams, and will give any team in the league a game on their day.

Sophie Williams pace upfront, Demi Stokes and Kiera Ramshaw on the wings, Kelly McDougall's experience, Captain Steff Bannon in the centre of defence, Helen Alderson in goal must be one of if not the best keepers outside the SL and all our young up and coming players looking good, we have a solid backbone and I really think Sunderland can challenge for the title this season. They'll be there or thereabouts, I know that much.

I really hope we keep Demi Stokes, she tortured their right-back all game resulting in her getting subbed near the end. I was thinking Blackburn were replacing her for a forward or extra midfielder to try get back into the game, only for the new player to move straight into the same right-back position.

Long way to go but all in all looking good for the future of SWFC  :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:25:20 PM by Mackem Steve »
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline dowiefan

• View Profile
Re: Sunderland 4 Blackburn 1
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 10:12:37 PM »
the best goalkeeper outside superleague y aint no1 been after her

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 10:25:20 PM »
the best goalkeeper outside superleague y aint no1 been after her

We don't know whether anyone has or not. I also said 'one of, IF not the best'. But if there is better, why is Helen representing England in the U23's? Surely anyone better would be chosen. Even if she's second or third choice, that would still mean she's 'one of the best' outside of the SL.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:27:55 PM by Mackem Steve »
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Sylvain

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 10:49:58 PM »
We don't know whether anyone has or not. I also said 'one of, IF not the best'. But if there is better, why is Helen representing England in the U23's? Surely anyone better would be chosen. Even if she's second or third choice, that would still mean she's 'one of the best' outside of the SL.
As far as I know Liverpool and Doncaster don't have a top keeper.
Arsenal has Byrne, Chelsea has Telford, Bristol has  ;), Everton has   ;), Birmingham has Hourihan and Lincoln has Kay Hawke.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 11:27:33 PM »
Arsenal has Byrne, Chelsea has Telford, Bristol has  ;), Everton has   ;), Birmingham has Hourihan and Lincoln has Kay Hawke.

I'm not sure whether this is just sarcasm or if you're really talking about teams that might be looking for a keeper. Anyway, I'd be very, very surprised if we kept her. The fact that's she's an U23 international and still playing in the WPL will attract interest in itself. Luckily we have a great back-up in Rachael Laws, who did a great job standing in when Helen was injured.

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 11:42:50 PM »
Arsenal has Byrne, Chelsea has Telford, Bristol has  ;), Everton has   ;), Birmingham has Hourihan and Lincoln has Kay Hawke.
you need to keep up chamberlbain has shown her intentions to be at Bristol in the super league lol

Sylvain

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 12:11:56 AM »
It is sarcasm of course, Bristol and Everton have both "internationals" goalie that are only slightly much better than Alderson

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 12:28:22 AM »
It is sarcasm of course, Bristol and Everton have both "internationals" goalie that are only slightly much better than Alderson

But both of those teams of course play in the SL, right? Meaning my statement of Helen being one of the best goalkeepers OUTSIDE of the SL still holds true.

Can people read on here or what? Is there anyone on that actually doesn't only post inbetween marathon window licking sessions?  ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:43:49 AM by Mackem Steve »

Sylvain

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 10:29:11 AM »
Outside the SL sorry ...

Blackburn : ?
Millwall : she is young and nothing special
Barnet : error prone Rachel Brown style
Watford : Davey, good goalie 19 years old with the U23
Reading : ?
Forrest :nothing special
Leeds : They have used Kay Hawke who is excellent or Jules Draycott
I have seen Charlton, Colchester and Gillingham in the southern division and I certainly think the Gillingham goalie is better than Alderson. I don't know about the northern division goalie though.

Offline allibee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 02:37:43 PM »
Reading goalie is currently Grace Maloney, just back from the U17 WC with the Eire team. She took the place of flame haired Michelle Beazley who is an amazing goalie but the wrong end of the age spectrum for them. In the matches she played before the change all the opposition managers all had something great to say about her, and not much to say about the rest of the team....

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 07:24:10 PM »
The Blackburn keeper is far better known to others on here but has always been excellent when I have seen her.... Krystal Parker. Must mention my personal vote for best outside the Superleague ..Rachel 'Dodge' Simkin of Yeovil Town.Another very talented keeper with great experience is Toni-Anne Wayne of West Ham who has also been a very good outfield player in the old National league !

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 10:40:33 PM »
Well what can I say. Totally impressed by the girls today (not for the first time) and this definitely sends out a message to the rest of the WPL.

Neither team really created any clear cut chances in the first half but I think what this says about Sunderland in particular is that they have plenty of quality to trouble teams, and will give any team in the league a game on their day.

Sophie Williams pace upfront, Demi Stokes and Kiera Ramshaw on the wings, Kelly McDougall's experience, Captain Steff Bannon in the centre of defence, Helen Alderson in goal must be one of if not the best keepers outside the SL and all our young up and coming players looking good, we have a solid backbone and I really think Sunderland can challenge for the title this season. They'll be there or thereabouts, I know that much.

I really hope we keep Demi Stokes, she tortured their right-back all game resulting in her getting subbed near the end. I was thinking Blackburn were replacing her for a forward or extra midfielder to try get back into the game, only for the new player to move straight into the same right-back position.

Long way to go but all in all looking good for the future of SWFC  :)
Just read Blackburns report on the game and their managers comments are quite magnaminous toward the Black Cats.. Well done Sunderland.

Offline Betty Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 04:22:37 AM »
P.S. Sarah Danby returned to her home town playing for Man City Reserves and celebrated in fine style with a great performance and goal helping them win 4-2

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 01:05:24 PM »
I agree with mostly what everyone has said regarding keepers, but nothing anyone has wrote really convinces me that she isn't "one of the best" outside the SL. The fact she was out injured for a year and got straight back involved with England U23's shows how highly regarded she is, that speaks for itself.

Just read Blackburns report on the game and their managers comments are quite magnaminous toward the Black Cats.. Well done Sunderland.

Sunderland deserve credit and cudos to the Blackburn manager for giving it. He's probably right in saying the scoreline was a bit harsh on Blackburn but for Sunderland to beat a team that is unbeaten so far this season in the league they way they did was amazing tbf.

If Forest win their game in hand they also go onto 11 points and if Millwall win their game in hand they go onto 10, this could be an exciting season in the WPL, I can see it going right to the wire.

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 03:20:13 PM »
Whats happened to Helen? She doesnt seem to figuring at Donny right now with them playing Mary earps.

johnnyramone

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 08:26:49 PM »
Helen Alderson is recovering from a knee injury that has kept her out of action for the last few weeks.