Author Topic: Bring in the youngsters early? why not!?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Techni-Scout

• Technique is vital
    • View Profile
Bring in the youngsters early? why not!?
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:47:35 PM »
I personally think the state of the English football game has reached the desperate point.
I am however optimistic about the future, providing the new crop gets a look in.
There is no reason why they should not get to the senior development stage and go on to be full experienced internationals by the time they are into their early to mid 20's.
If they are given the opportunity to get involved early, surely by the time they are 25+ we would have a squad more than capable of getting to a European championship/World cup finals and winning it!

some of the players I have seen that I feel should be included in the senior set up now are:

Rebecca Spencer - Arsenal
Danielle Carter    - Arsenal
Lauren Bruton     - Arsenal
Jordan Nobbs     -  Arsenal

Drew Spence     - Chelsea

Lucy Staniforth  - Lincoln City Ladies

Demi Stokes      - Sunderland

Toni Duggan      - Everton

Obviously all of these players needn't be thrown in all at the same time but surely there would be no harm in them stepping up a level - thus making room for the others in the the squads around them and below.
I thought that is how 'development' worked!

Feel free to point out any additional players aged 15-20 for attentions sake.
There are some really good players out there at the moment.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 12:53:21 PM by Techni-Scout »
Don't rely on luck, rely on skill.

Sylvain

Re: Bring in the youngsters early? why not!?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 01:21:33 PM »
I would think they will bring a few of those after the World Cup as loads of players will be on the wrong side of 30 and won't go again for another 4 years cycle until 2015. Also a change of manager would maybe open doors.
There is a huge difference between youth football and senior football, so some players who are very dominant at U15 to U20 level may find it a struggle.
England  have actually a  good set-up with the U23 side to allow transition from U19 to seniors.
And Hope Powell has recently brought into the set-up 3 youngsters Bradley, Susi and Rafferty.

Offline Techni-Scout

• Technique is vital
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 01:35:52 PM »
Agreed. But I still feel the likes of Spencer, Nobbs and even Stokes should by now have been included in at least one senior squad.
For instance the game against Malta back in may and Austria in august 0-6 & 0-4 respectively could have included one of the above named players in the squad at least, they have never been involved in a senior squad - At this rate we will end up attempting to will the World cup with players that have been around for longer than they should have  been. I know hindsight is used regarding the qualifying results and I do realise that they were both important qualifiers but we should be going into these games with more confidence, we are Euro finalists! If the management are continuously cautious against weaker teams what does that say to all the ladies in the squad and in the ages below. Players will only become experienced if they are involved. 

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 01:37:39 PM »
Rebecca Spencer - Arsenal
Danielle Carter    - Arsenal
Lauren Bruton     - Arsenal
Jordan Nobbs     -  Arsenal

I do not think Rebecca Spencer, Danielle Carter or Lauren Bruton are ready to be included in any England senior squad.  I would say a couple of other players from Arsenal should be looked at by Hope Powell.  I think Gilly Flaherty and Gemma Davison have more of a case to be included by Powell.
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline Techni-Scout

• Technique is vital
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 01:45:39 PM »
Yes, true!!
It's so strange how players like this are just overlooked with ease.

If they were from one of the Scandinavian country's, with how much first team club football they have played - they would have a senior International cap.

Something is not right at the moment.

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 01:53:50 PM »
I do not see much of a problem with England senior selection.
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Sylvain

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 02:05:28 PM »
I do not see much of a problem with England senior selection.
Me neither just the manager's weird choices lol

Offline Techni-Scout

• Technique is vital
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 02:32:13 PM »
Me neither just the manager's weird choices lol

Weird - yes.

I'm just thinking about the future guys.
im just thinking, everyone is getting on a bit - just a bit more experience for the younger lot will make a whole lot of difference if its given.

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 06:16:53 PM »
It's a nice theory. In practice though, in order to give these youngsters experience who do you drop? Those who already have the experience?

You could make more of a case for doing this with the men's national team, as obviously many of them are now serial failures. The women's team, on the other hand, have done quite well.

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 06:25:48 PM »
Hope Powell should not drop someone just because they have more experience.  How do you gain experience?  You gain it by playing the player in matches.  Talented players should be integrated in to the squad on merit and get in to the team if they are considered better than players in the same position.  Players should earn caps.

Sylvain

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 01:40:43 PM »
If we take the example of Demi Stokes and Lauren Bruton, they do have potential to be in the senior team, but they are far away in the queue.
There are obviously 2 place in the team for the wingers so the pecking order is something like :

1. Carney
(1a Aluko to make it more complex lol)
2. Yankey
3. Clarke
4. S Smith
5. Davison
6. Bird
7. Duggan
8. Moore
9. Christiansen
10. Stokes
11. Bruton
1x. Linnett real prospect with high potential

Senior players in general need to have been consistent performer for couple of seasons at top level.
There are exceptions who can get in the squad on other criteria but besides an exceptionally talented young kid, I don't think there is a need to bring
a  young girl in the set-up. They did it for someone like Houghton  who was called up at 18 years old and was in the squad for the WC 2007 before her injury.

At this rate we will end up attempting to will the World cup with players that have been around for longer than they should have  been. I know hindsight is used regarding the qualifying results and I do realise that they were both important qualifiers but we should be going into these games with more confidence, we are Euro finalists! If the management are continuously cautious against weaker teams what does that say to all the ladies in the squad and in the ages below.

It is obvious that Hope Powell will take this very experienced squad to the World Cup barring long term injuries or pregnancies  ;)
And it just says for the girls in the age group below wait for your turn for the older girls to retire after 2011. Powell will not change the core of her team just before a big tournament.  And to be honest I would be quite pleased for us to play against England with Brown in goal and Stoney, White and Unitt in the back 4  :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 02:48:29 PM by Sylvain »

Sylvain

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 05:49:59 PM »
I would be curious to see a training game between those two teams  for example :
The seniors would got England to Germany vs the  pretenders
Brown - A Scott White Stoney Unitt - Williams Champman J Scott - Aluko K Smith Yankey
Telford - Susi Houghton Flaherty Rafferty- Buet Asante R Williams  - Davison Sanderson Bird