Author Topic: Brown wins appeal over red card  (Read 995 times)

Offline John

• View Profile
Brown wins appeal over red card
« on: September 24, 2010, 03:25:18 PM »
England goalkeeper Rachel Brown has successfully appealed over her sending off against Switzerland in their World Cup play-off second leg victory.

Brown was dismissed for allegedly pulling striker Ramona Bachmann's hair in a 3-2 win on 16 September which sealed a 5-2 aggregate triumph.

But Uefa has overturned the red card for violent conduct, meaning Brown can play in the first World Cup match.

"I'm happy she is now able to play [in Germany]," said coach Hope Powell.

Her red card would have meant suspension from the first three games of the tournament.

"I've spoken to her and she is delighted," said Powell.

"I'm a little disappointed that the red card will stay on Rachel's record.

"But she's not too bothered that the card wasn't expunged. She's just very happy she is able to play."

Powell had accused Bachmann of diving. TV footage showed the striker had clutched her face and thrown herself to the ground.

The draw for the 2011 Fifa Women's World Cup finals will take place on 29 November.

England were runners-up to Germany at Euro 2009, and will be looking to make the later stages of next year's tournament, which starts on 26 June.

Story from BBC SPORT: http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/women/9030505.stm

Published: 2010/09/24 11:16:23 GMT
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
Re: Brown wins appeal over red card
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 05:32:41 PM »
I was pretty certain that would be overturned.  Pity the red card will stay on her record though...

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Sylvain

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:03:20 PM »
Good for her not sure it is the right result for England though.

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 01:02:09 PM »
I wonder if Bachmann will get a fine?

Also, you have to ask serious questions of the referee. Top-level refs can't dish out red cards on the basis of imaginary hair-pulling.

If the ref missed the incident she can't just invent a story of what she thought might have happened!

Sylvain

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
I am sure the referee wrongly interpreted Bachmann's dive on the basis of Brown's agressive body language.