Author Topic: Leeds 1 Sunderland 3  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
Leeds 1 Sunderland 3
« on: September 26, 2010, 08:38:33 PM »
I wasn't at the game but my.. erm.. 'contacts' tell me a Sophie Williams hat-trick. Sunderland looking strong this season they've been unlucky in a couple of games. Really pleased with the start though tbh.

Haway the lasses!!
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline dowiefan

• View Profile
Re: Leeds 1 Sunderland 3
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 09:10:19 PM »
yeah good game and totally rate helen alderson

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 09:33:52 PM »
yeah good game and totally rate helen alderson

Yea, very good keeper. We have two actually, Rachael Laws stood in for her when she was injured and is also a very good keeper. Helen probably just stands out more but Rachael could get into most teams regularly, we're very lucky to have them both.
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline dowiefan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 11:43:01 PM »
yeah a ave seen em both but helen is d 1 to stand out to me and i reckon if she aint ave got that injury she wd ave got further with england.. she wud be in my top 4 england keepers

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 12:31:28 AM »
yeah a ave seen em both but helen is d 1 to stand out to me and i reckon if she aint ave got that injury she wd ave got further with england.. she wud be in my top 4 england keepers

Aye Helen is superb and the fact she's got straight back into the England set up so quick confirms that. Hope she can do England proud.

Offline Techni-Scout

• Technique is vital
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 01:57:27 PM »
Sunderland to win this league. :)
Don't rely on luck, rely on skill.

Offline dowiefan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 10:22:32 PM »
i agree with u league winners

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 12:55:44 AM »
You've obviously not watched Forest or Blackburn play? Surely unbeaten records speak for themselves as do clean sheets..

Offline Techni-Scout

• Technique is vital
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 12:37:20 PM »
You've obviously not watched Forest or Blackburn play? Surely unbeaten records speak for themselves as do clean sheets..

Forest to run a close second but i do think Sunderland will win it in the end.
Don't rely on luck, rely on skill.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 01:53:53 PM »

Haven't seen Blackburn but I watched Sunderland absolutely batter Forest at the Hetton Centre only for Forest to win it in the 2nd half pretty much from two defensive mistakes. Mick Mulhern said this week our problem has been infront of goal and he's spot on, if we sort that out the WPL better watch out ;)
Sophie Williams blows hot and cold, had a pretty bad game against Reading then goes and scores a hat-trick away to Leeds

Sunderland tend to get stronger as the season goes on aswell, I remember Forest beating us at the Hetton Centre last season but then we beat them 3-0 (or 3-1 I can't remember) at their place later in the season. Most of our other good results were in the 2nd half of the season aswell.

Whatever happens I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season knowing what Sunderland could be capable of if they solve a few of the minor problems they have atm.

I'm not sure if we are actually good enough to win it but we're at least the 2nd or 3rd best team in that league.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:29:04 PM by Mackem Steve »

Johnny Ramone

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 09:33:06 PM »
With the 'new era' having been ushered in at Blackburn Rovers, gone are the day's of often underachieving 'name' players. They've been replaced with a squad of young and talented youngsters (a number from the clubs highly rated CofE), along with some experienced but 'un-noticed' international standard players. 

With the back-up of an exceptional youth/reserve system to support the 1st team squad, Blackburn will quietly go about there business while others talk about how good they are.  Blackburn have quietly assembled a squad that is on par with the team (captained by Mel Cook) which played Charlton in the semi-final of the FA Cup.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 12:06:48 PM »
Blackburn will quietly go about there business while others talk about how good they are.

But isn't that what you are doing? Talking about how good Blackburn are?  :P

Tbh at the start of the season if you'd offered me 3rd in the league I would have took your hand off. I'd be quite happy for us to just comfortably survive and do well in one of the cups, so anything else is a bonus.

Blackburn, Forest and Sunderland all looking decent atm. I'll get to see Blackburn on October 17th at the Hetton Centre which I'm looking forward to, big game for both teams. We're capable of beating anyone at home though, as was proven last season when we beat Arsenal and Chelsea  ;)

Johnny Ramone

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
Blackburn Rovers only have 'one' international player in the 1st team squad and no 'name' players, as they had in previous season's.  The club is keeping the players very grounded and are letting people be 'surprised' by the type of  football the team is playing. 

At least one team turned up for a game expecting a team of 'kids' and a much weaker Rovers compared to last season....they weren't thinking that afterwards.

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 06:58:57 PM »
Johnny are you employed by Blackburn? It sounds like it with all this spin!  ;D

Why can't you say - as we all know - that they are now playing at the second level and need a smaller, cheaper squad?

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 07:30:08 PM »
Johnny are you employed by Blackburn? It sounds like it with all this spin!  ;D

Why can't you say - as we all know - that they are now playing at the second level and need a smaller, cheaper squad?

Hahaha. He has more spin than Farmer McGraw's washing machine.

But aye I know what you mean with the big fish mentality Johnny, I think that's why Arsenal and Chelsea came unstuck at the Hetton Centre last season... pretty much just expecting to win and under-estimating Sunderland. There isn't really any 'big' teams in it now though really. Chealsea, Arsenal, Everton and the rest all SL teams now. It's up to one of the remaining WPL teams to take the bull by the horns now I think and try and become the new WPL strong force, could be exciting and although there may not be as many skilled players in the WPL as the SL I think the WPL could be a better league to watch as apposed to teams that have already been playing each other for years and have become a little predictable.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 07:32:08 PM by Mackem Steve »

Johnny Ramone

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 09:07:26 PM »

EliteImp...you call the WPL National League a cheaper second level, yet it was a league that Lincoln couldn't manage to get into, despite them telling everyone how they were going to win the Northern League every season...

Lincoln played second fiddle to Forest, Sunderland and Liverpool.

Sunderland LFC have a budget (per season) of around half the wages of one SL contract player....yet they'll always have a bit of 'class'..which is something money can't buy.

The Blackburn manager wanted a smaller squad, (with younger players) as some of the reserves had out-grown that team...Hannah Forster inparticular.

It was well known in women's football in the North-West, that Blackburn paid more than some other clubs and that was the main reason for some players signing.  Paying players didn't always lead to a successful team....the Amanda Barr episode springs to mind.

Lincoln have had to buy a team in-order to compete in the Super League, only time will tell if they are good enough.

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 10:48:04 PM »

EliteImp...you call the WPL National League a cheaper second level, yet it was a league that Lincoln couldn't manage to get into, despite them telling everyone how they were going to win the Northern League every season...
P
Lincoln played second fiddle to Forest, Sunderland and Liverpool.

Sunderland LFC have a budget (per season) of around half the wages of one SL contract player....yet they'll always have a bit of 'class'..which is something money can't buy.

The Blackburn manager wanted a smaller squad, (with younger players) as some of the reserves had out-grown that team...Hannah Forster inparticular.

It was well known in women's football in the North-West, that Blackburn paid more than some other clubs and that was the main reason for some players signing.  Paying players didn't always lead to a successful team....the Amanda Barr episode springs to mind.

Lincoln have had to buy a team in-order to compete in the Super League, only time will tell if they are good enough.
Here here, and Lincolns success in the SL (if any) with have more to do with pound notes and not the clubs infrastructure and coaching skills, on another thread their squad so far for next season only names 3 maybe 4 of last years squad and one of those is Ward who was signed from Leeds anyhow.

Johnny Ramone

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 11:49:50 PM »
Whichever team wins the WPL League title or League Cup, obviously won't get any credit for doing so (from fans of SL clubs), but at least nobody can say with any confidence which club is going to do so.

The league is very competative and excellent to watch and is afterall the place where SL clubs will be searching for new players in the next few months....

Women's football is in grave danger of concentrating on a few 'rich' clubs and forgeting it's history.....Kelly Smith was a Wembley / Barnet player.  Women's football is looking for it's next Superstar and that player may come from one of the non-elite clubs. 

If a player 'stands out' in the WPL this season, no doubt that player will be 'poached' by the SL.

What will be interesting after the 1st season of SL, is to see how many players get dumped because they are not international standard.

Sylvain

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 12:10:22 AM »
Whichever team wins the WPL League title or League Cup, obviously won't get any credit for doing so (from fans of SL clubs), but at least nobody can say with any confidence which club is going to do so.
Does it mean the SL club fans are not intelligent enough  to give credit to other teams?

Johnny Ramone

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 01:21:10 AM »
it's not due to lack of intelligence, more to lack of interest....alot of people won't be bothered about watching a 'second level' league.  I watch games in both National and North on a regular basis. How many fan's of SL clubs are just waiting for March?