Author Topic: England U20s v Mexico U20s  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
England U20s v Mexico U20s
« on: July 17, 2010, 07:03:14 PM »
Anyone watching?

Comon England!!  :-*
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:17:12 PM by Mackem Steve »
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
Re: England U19s v Mexico U19s
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 08:47:15 PM »
yes unfortunatley v. Poor imho.. Just asked the cf to put the kettle on..quality player who can not adjust to another position.. International class? Maybe not..

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 10:15:31 PM »
To be fair, how the hell did the girls lose that game.. they deserved more than that. ONE decent ball and (fair enough) a great finish wins the game.  :'(

What is it about major tourneys and a certain team that begins with 'E', ends in 'D' and has 'nglan' in the middle!

I thought the girls were great tonight tbh, especially in the first half an hour when they passed the Mexicans out of the game. Such a harsh result imo.
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 10:48:41 PM »
To be fair, how the hell did the girls lose that game.. they deserved more than that. ONE decent ball and (fair enough) a great finish wins the game.  :'(

What is it about major tourneys and a certain team that begins with 'E', ends in 'D' and has 'nglan' in the middle!

I thought the girls were great tonight tbh, especially in the first half an hour when they passed the Mexicans out of the game. Such a harsh result imo.
only saw 2nd half, which I thought was woeful against poor opposition, so perhaps I should not judge on the whole game, but misplaced passes were what I saw 2nd half, whatever happened to Mo's keep the ball policy?

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 03:13:51 PM »

Well on the whole this season would be classed as a relatively good season for them as the men won their first age-group title since 1993 when the U-17 side beat Spain 2-1 in Liechtenstein to win the European Under-17 Championship title in May.
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Sylvain

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 06:24:58 PM »
To be fair, how the hell did the girls lose that game.. they deserved more than that. ONE decent ball and (fair enough) a great finish wins the game.  :'(

They were really good in the first half, I said to my fellow supporter after half an hour : it is gonna be an easy win if they carry on like this.
but then the lack of movement off the ball, a more industrious display from Mexico, tiredness plus some players not suited to the postion they are played in.
And a mistake of course equals one defeat. Regarding tiredness for example the France manager changed 8 players between the first and second game to have fresh legs.

yes unfortunatley v. Poor imho.. Just asked the cf to put the kettle on..quality player who can not adjust to another position.. International class? Maybe not..

I expect her to be picked up for the Senior squad in 2011 and compete with Aluko White and Sanderson.
I believe the actual players around her and the system does not suit her qualities and force her to overplay.
I really think Tony Duggan is an excellent youngster and all the team in England would be more than happy to have her in their squad.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 08:25:07 PM by Sylvain »

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 08:41:47 PM »
To be fair, how the hell did the girls lose that game.. they deserved more than that. ONE decent ball and (fair enough) a great finish wins the game.  :'(

They were really good in the first half, I said to my fellow supporter after half an hour : it is gonna be an easy win if they carry on like this.
but then the lack of movement off the ball, a more industrious display from Mexico, tiredness plus some players not suited to the postion they are played in.
And a mistake of course equals one defeat. Regarding tiredness for example the France manager changed 8 players between the first and second game to have fresh legs.

I expect her to be picked up for the Senior squad in 2011 and compete with Aluko White and Sanderson.
I believe the actual players around her and the system does not suit her qualities and force her to overplay.
I really think Tony Duggan is an excellent youngster and all the team in England would be more than happy to have her in their squad.
good points well made and yes most sides would welcome Duggan in their side.. On the wing.. Have you ever witnessed her play well as CF? If you have then fair play but I haven't, and recent games she has looked like fish out of water imho, you can't blame players around her for her not holding her position and wandering aimlessly, again imo.

Sylvain

Re: England U20s v Mexico U20s
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 10:39:10 PM »
Germany England in Flensburg pre- euro 2009 she was sensational alongside Jade Moore on he wing in that game. Ok it is a 13 month old game.

Funnily enough Anelka caused the same problem to the France team recently. Either she is dezoning with Mo Marley's agreement or she doesn't and she should be reminded not to. I would have her behind Carter with Prosser Nobbs in midfield , Moore and Stokes on the wing. If Hinnigan and Christiansen are rated better in those positions, trust Mo Marley.

Sylvain

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 12:43:55 PM »
only saw 2nd half, which I thought was woeful against poor opposition, so perhaps I should not judge on the whole game, but misplaced passes were what I saw 2nd half, whatever happened to Mo's keep the ball policy?

I forgot to mention tiredness. The "off the ball movement" that was so good in the first half disappeared in the second half and the ball holder ended up with only one or two even sometimes 0 pass option.  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 02:56:30 PM by Sylvain »

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 04:06:57 PM »

I forgot to mention tiredness. The "off the ball movement" that was so good in the first half disappeared in the second half and the ball holder ended up with only one or two even sometimes 0 pass option.  

Aye, you're probably right, and that would explain the lack of movement in the second half, when players were starting to get tired. Some of these girls have played a full season and are playing their second major international tourney within a month or so, having played in the Euro Championships as well. I know they're only young and pretty fit but it's a lot to ask of young athletes. Can you imagine any men's senior team playing a full season then playing a Euro Champs tourney and a World Cup within a month of each other? It would never happen.

Maybe it would have been better to introduce some fresh faces and legs rather than stick with better/bigger players that are probaby getting tired by the time the second half comes round.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 04:08:52 PM by Mackem Steve »

Sylvain

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 04:27:10 PM »
The France squad who also reached the final in Macedonia had the same problem.
The France manager  changed 8 players between first and second game and 6 between second and third game as well.
It did not work though as we are out, so Mo Marley's policy might be a winning one.

Offline Eurycantha

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 05:33:45 PM »
@Steve & Sylvain,

That is imho the difference between the squads of Germany on one side and the French and English
squads on the other side.

The squads of France and England are U19 with a few players born in 1990, as you wrote both having played
the EC finals and now the WWC.

The German squad consist from players born in 1990 and only a few of the U19 and the German squad were
already preparing for this WWC with a "proper" U20 squad from October 2009 on and a "proper" U19 played
the Eliteround and the EC finals.