Author Topic: Lion burger restaurant receives death threats  (Read 964 times)

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
Lion burger restaurant receives death threats
« on: June 24, 2010, 12:35:33 PM »
World Cup 2010 - Lion burger restaurant receives death threats
Reuters - Wed, 23 Jun 20:29:00 2010

A restaurant in America offering up lion burgers as a tribute to the World Cup in South Africa has received death threats.

The Il Vinaio restaurant in downtown Mesa has received a bomb threat and around 250 emails from animal rights activists after it announced it would offer lion as a special to honour the football tournament.

"We thought that since the World Cup was in Africa ...that the lion burger might be interesting for some of our more adventurous customers," owner Cameron Selogie said.

The restaurant is offering the lion burgers at $21 (£14), served with spicy homemade chips and roast corn on the cob.

Selogie said that the lion being offered was raised at a US Department of Agriculture regulated free-range farm in Illinois - a fact that has soothed some protesters.

"Most of them, when we tell them the facts, that this is farm raised and it doesn't hurt the endangered animals, seem pretty reasonable," he said.

But Dr Grey Stafford from the World Wildlife Zoo said serving up a threatened species is sending the wrong message.

"Of all the plentiful things to eat in this country, for someone to request that or to offer that, I was rather stunned," he explained.

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
Re: Lion burger restaurant receives death threats
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 01:49:42 PM »
surely they should have branded it as a vegetarian variety (such as the vegetarian sausages wgich are on sale over here) ;D

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 04:39:35 PM »
It seems strange that they would rear Lions as food i suppose they could do it with other animals and have the Findus rare species range...

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 09:48:17 AM »
when I was in Hong Kong (as a mere lad at school) I used to hear stories of people going to restauraunts and enjoying their meat dish, but not finding things quite so pleasant when told what they had eaten was snake