Author Topic: Hello...  (Read 6763 times)

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
Hello...
« on: June 20, 2010, 11:01:34 PM »
My name is Steve... and I'm a Mackem... which is probably just as well or this user name would look pretty silly.

Been hooked on Women's football since watching Sunderland in the FA Cup Final in the 08/09 season. Went to every game but one at home last season and will go to all the home games this season.

It's a shame the women's game doesn't the the recognition it deserves, hopefully that'll change although I wont hold my breath.

Anyway looking forward to the upcoming season. Haway the lasses!  :D
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 12:57:21 AM »
Welcome to the site Steve !

Sylvain

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 10:12:19 AM »
Welcome, Sunderland are a great young team. It is really a shame they are starting to loose players to SL sides.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 10:21:43 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome, Sunderland are a great young team. It is really a shame they are starting to loose players to SL sides.

I know, I was really afraid of that happening. I'm hoping players will stay with Sunderland because of the inconvenience of travelling to play. The 4 girls that play for the England U19s will be hard to keep hold of (Jordan Nobbs, Demi Stokes, Lucy Staniforth and Lucy Bronze).

Do you know of any players that have left already, as the official SWFC site doesn't tend to report players leaving.
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Sylvain

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 10:27:38 AM »
I have been told Jordan Nobbs has signed for Arsenal and Lucy Bronze is looking for a Superleague Club.
I am sure one of the 8 club needs a right back/center back who is quality.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 06:45:01 PM »
Well there's nothing on either teams official website yet so with all due respect I'll believe it when it's reported. I can't help think though why Jordan Nobbs would sign for Arsenal when she's based in the NE. I can't see her moving all the way to London when there's closer SL teams... I know it's a professional league but I doubt it's paying players THAT much.

It would also be a shame if the women's game starting going in the way of greed, like the men's game. From what I understand one of the reasons people are attracted to the women's game is because they're disillusioned by the greedy, cheating, overhyped and disrespectful men's game. I hope the women aren't going to start playing up for the cameras, surrounding the ref, waving their arms in the air trying to get players booked and going down under a soft challenge like they've been pole-axed.

Anyway enough of this rant, back to those players - there's no doubt they could easily fit into one of the top sides, but moving all the way to London, I seriously doubt it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:49:41 PM by Mackem Steve »

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 07:12:11 PM »
I can't help think though why Jordan Nobbs would sign for Arsenal when she's based in the NE. I can't see her moving all the way to London when there's closer SL teams... I know it's a professional league but I doubt it's paying players THAT much.

It did not stop Kim Little, Jennifer Beattie and Julie Fleeting from joining Arsenal and they are from Scotland.  Julie is still based in Scotland and travels down for the games.

Jordan might have chosen Arsenal because they have proven over a number of years that they are the best team in the country on and off the pitch.

It would also be a shame if the women's game starting going in the way of greed, like the men's game. From what I understand one of the reasons people are attracted to the women's game is because they're disillusioned by the greedy, cheating, overhyped and disrespectful men's game. I hope the women aren't going to start playing up for the cameras, surrounding the ref, waving their arms in the air trying to get players booked and going down under a soft challenge like they've been pole-axed.

That is a sweeping generalisation.  I know lots of fans who are passionate about both men’s and women’s football.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:17:46 PM by John »
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 07:24:11 PM »
It did not stop Kim Little, Jennifer Beattie and Julie Fleeting from joining Arsenal and they are from Scotland.  Julie is still based in Scotland and travels down for the games.

Jordan might have chosen Arsenal because they have proven over a number of years that they are the best team in the country on and off the field.

Fair point, and as I said there's no doubt she's good enough and would get straight into the team. And I'm sure Lucy Bronze, Lucy Staniforth, Demi Stokes, Sarah Danby, Rachael Laws, Stephanie Bannon... hell, most of the young Sunderland team, *could* play for SL sides. But I stand by my statement, until it's reported I won't speculate on whether players are moving and where to.

That is a sweeping generalisation.  I know lots of fans who are passionate about both men’s and women’s football.

Indeed, I didn't say ALL, I just meant some, i should have said "one of the reasons some people are attracted". I know people who like both (me included), but I also know people who have got into the women's game who now hate what the men's game has become.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:27:28 PM by Mackem Steve »

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 07:47:54 PM »

Jordan might have chosen Arsenal because they have proven over a number of years that they are the best team in the country on and off the field.

Fair point, and as I said there's no doubt she's good enough and would get straight into the team. And I'm sure Lucy Bronze, Lucy Staniforth, Demi Stokes, Sarah Danby, Rachael Laws, Stephanie Bannon... hell, most of the young Sunderland team, *could* play for SL sides. But I stand by my statement, until it's reported I won't speculate on whether players are moving and where to.

A lot of the time you hear about player movements ahead of official announcements because players talk to each other on social networking sites like Facebook.
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 07:48:46 PM »
I enjoy both but I can see exactly where Steve is coming from when he talks about the mens game at the professional level. My team Norwich City employed a bunch of lazy gutless Premiership loan mercenaries who took us down into League One in the recent past and then replaced them with an honest hard working squad who took us back up brilliantly last season, winning the league against the odds.... I like the womens game because it allows the likes of Sunderland  with their fantastic youth system to shine at the highest level  and has people who play and coach for the love of the game. I also like the honesty of the game where teams battle on against the odds even when the players are very inexperienced. Sunderland had to do it for years, nearly folding at one point and suffering relegation and weekly thrashings. Bristol Academy and WFC Fulham were other examples of this and maybe Leeds next season...

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 08:09:51 PM »
Why do people automatically assume footballers in the men’s game are not playing for the love of the game?

I know someone who was recently lucky enough to be selected to join Arsenal’s Academy at Hale End and play for Arsenal's under 9 team, his dream is to play professional football.  His motivation is not to become a pro so he gets lots of money, he just loves football and would love to play the game at a professional level in the future.

My team Norwich City employed a bunch of lazy gutless Premiership loan mercenaries who took us down into League One in the recent past...

Can you name names?

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 08:31:34 PM »
and as I said there's no doubt she's good enough and would get straight into the team.

I'm not sure Jordan would be a regular in the side from the start. At the moment Arsenal's entire midfield is packed full of senior internationals.

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »
Why do people automatically assume footballers in the men’s game are not playing for the love of the game?

I know someone who was recently lucky enough to be selected to join Arsenal’s Academy at Hale End and play for Arsenal's under 9 team, his dream is to play professional football.  His motivation is not to become a pro so he gets lots of money, he just loves football and would love to play the game at a professional level in the future.

My team Norwich City employed a bunch of lazy gutless Premiership loan mercenaries who took us down into League One in the recent past...

Can you name names?
     yes, will PM you a list of the 18 loan players who played for City in 2008-9 if it helps....

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »

Can you name names?
     yes, will PM you a list of the 18 loan players who played for City in 2008-9 if it helps....

... it would!!  I am confused though as Norwich would have breached Football League rules if they had signed as many as 18 loan players during a single season.  Are you sure of your figures?  The rules are clear that a club can only have up to 8 players on short term loan during any season, but no more than 4 at any one time. A club can also have a maximum 4 players on long term loan during a single season.

Obviously I do not know the full history about Norwich, I’ll have to speak to some of my friends who go to all the home and away games to see what they think.  I know young Gibbs was at Norwich a while ago.

I think it is very strong to say the loan players were a ‘bunch of lazy gutless mercenaries’.  I assume most of the players would have been young professionals going out on loan to gain match experience at a senior level.  Each player would be joining with the intention to try to impress so that when they do go back they would be closer to the first team.

I would expect the players to be highly motivated because they want to make it when they go back to the Premier League.

For one minute I assumed you were talking about loan players joining your club pre 2007/08 becuase they stopped calling it the premiership in 2007.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 09:15:32 PM »
and as I said there's no doubt she's good enough and would get straight into the team.

I'm not sure Jordan would be a regular in the side from the start. At the moment Arsenal's entire midfield is packed full of senior internationals.

Ah right. So you think, assuming that she would remain in the NE and just travel down for the games as you suggested, that she would do a 500 mile round trip to warm the bench? Or to play 20-30 minutes of football? There's a strong possibility that the decent young players at Sunderland will move onto SL clubs and it may be Arsenal, but I doubt they will do it unless they're playing. I agree Arsenal's midfield is class but by the same token Jordan is far too good not to be playing 90 minutes every week.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:44:06 PM by Mackem Steve »

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 07:16:45 PM »
Well there's nothing on either teams official website yet so with all due respect I'll believe it when it's reported. I can't help think though why Jordan Nobbs would sign for Arsenal when she's based in the NE. I can't see her moving all the way to London when there's closer SL teams... I know it's a professional league but I doubt it's paying players THAT much.

There's no doubt they could easily fit into one of the top sides, but moving all the way to London, I seriously doubt it.

You can now believe it...

Details: http://www.womensfootball.eu/forum/index.php/topic,6256.0.html

New Arsenal Ladies player Jordan Nobbs said: “I am chuffed to bits to be honest. Arsenal Ladies are the stand-out side in England, and are among the best in Europe. I can’t wait to  get started!”

I always had a feeling Jordan would join Arsenal after reading her interview with SheKicks the other month.

Nobbs: "It was a shock that Sunderland did not make it into the Super League.  It's really frustrating but I want to be playing against the best, so admit I have been looking into the Super League and I know one or two clubs are interested.  It's going to mean a lot of travelling, which is really frustrating but I am learning to drive at the moment and I don't mind moving if I have to.  I've been asked what I'm doing next year so many times now!  I'm still looking to finish this season as best I can for my team but it's a massive decision."
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 07:24:51 PM by John »

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
Aye fair play to her. It's obvious a player of her standard wants to play in the SL.

I'm still not convinced it's gonna work though. "A lot of travelling which is really frustrating". "I'm learning to drive". "I don't mind moving if I have to".

We'll see, but obviously I wish Jordan all the best. A great player and I'll miss watching her at the Hetton Centre this season.

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 10:57:49 PM »
Aye fair play to her. It's obvious a player of her standard wants to play in the SL.

I'm still not convinced it's gonna work though. "A lot of travelling which is really frustrating". "I'm learning to drive". "I don't mind moving if I have to".

We'll see, but obviously I wish Jordan all the best. A great player and I'll miss watching her at the Hetton Centre this season.

Why do you feel it is not going to work?

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 01:33:37 PM »

Why do you feel it is not going to work?

Well I think it will tbh because I think she'll make it work, hopefully with extra support from ALFC. What bothers me though is her age, and the fact she seems a little naive. She's only 17 and it seems she hasn't really thought through what she's going to do yet regarding playing for Arsenal and there's a number of obvious questions to be asked - She says she's learning to drive so does she drive all the way to London for every home game? How long will the novelty of that last? I wouldn't like to be driving to London every other week (possibly more) for 90 minutes of football. When does she travel? Surely not on the day of the game? Games will be played between Thursday and Sunday I've seen somewhere, will this have an affect on any work/college? How will she cope with midweek games? The list of questions could go on and on. What if she decides to move to London? She has a long term boyfriend up here will she cope with a long distance relationship? (That isn't speculation I know him, although not really well) Will she miss friends and family?

Most of these questions wouldn't be applicable for someone older and I know she isn't the first player to play for ALFC from outside London, but the key thing here is her age. She seems very level headed and mature for her age but when I read those quotes from her it made me cringe a little.

I just want to say aswell that I'm not being purposely negative, these are questions that should have really been addressed when she signed.

I really hope it works out for her though, like I said in an earlier post it won't be the same watching Sunderland without her. (I'm pleased she's still turning out for us this season though! :))
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:35:32 PM by Mackem Steve »