Author Topic: Powell awarded CBE in Queen’s Birthday Honours List 2010  (Read 530 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Powell awarded CBE in Queen’s Birthday Honours List 2010
« on: June 12, 2010, 12:21:29 PM »
England Women's Head Coach Hope Powell has today been awarded a CBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List 2010.

Hope, who was awarded an OBE in 2002, has received the award in recognition of her contribution to women's football.

FA General Secretary Alex Horne said: "I would like to congratulate Hope on behalf of everyone at The FA for this well-deserved honour.

"We are extremely proud of Hope's achievements with the England team over the last decade. She is a tremendous ambassador for women's football and has been instrumental in the growth of the game which will culminate in the launch of the new Women's Super League in 2011."

The England Head Coach spoke of her honour at being given this recognition for her dedicated sevice to the women’s game.

“For me personally, I’m honoured and proud to receive such a fantastic award. It’s even better for the women’s game to be honoured and this award is great recognition for all the hard work and efforts of the staff and players that I work with. I would like to say thank you on behalf of everyone in the women’s game for this award.”

Hope was appointed as the first ever full-time England Women's Head Coach in 1998 and in 2003 she was the first female coach to achieve the UEFA Pro Licence. Hope led England to the 2001 European Championship, the 2005 European Championship, the 2007 World Cup Finals in China and, last summer, the Final of the 2009 European Championship in Finland. As a player, Hope won 66 caps for England, mainly as an attacking midfielder, scoring 35 goals.