Author Topic: 17-year-old football girl died of meningitis  (Read 2049 times)

Offline John

• View Profile
Re: 17-year-old football girl died of meningitis
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 12:39:09 AM »
Such a sad story to hear that both children died so suddenly. 

My condolences to the family and friends of both Jodie and Ellen.
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »
Cash raised a tribute to Jodie

YOUNG footballers have raised more than £1,000 in memory of one of their players.

Jodie Willan, of Church Road, Boreham, died in April, aged just 17, from meningitis.

She was a player for Silver End under-18s girls, and they had a memorial match last week in aid of the Jodie Willan Meningitis Fund, which was set up by her family.

Braintree Town Football Club and Braintree Ladies helped arrange the day, which took place at the Iron’s stadium in Cressing Road.

The ladies team played Arsenal Ladies, then the Silver End girls took on Jodie’s former classmates from Sandon School.

Braintree Town, Arsenal and Colchester United donated signed football shirts that were raffled and helped raise £500, with the total money raised on the day topping £1,000.

Jan Walker, of Silver End under-18 girls, said: “Jodie loved her football. She played with a smile on her face and never complained about anything.

“Winning, losing, it did not matter. She simply loved playing football with her team mates at Silver End.

“I am sure she would have approved of the day and that her beloved Arsenal were there for the occasion.”

The Jodie Willan Meningitis Trust has raised nearly £4,000 so far.

Donate online at www.meningitis-trust.tributefunds.com/fund/Jodie+Willan

http://www.chelmsfordweeklynews.co.uk/news/8338673.Cash_raised_a_tribute_to_Jodie/
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 06:41:45 PM »
It was nice that her beloved Arsenal were able to schedule the friendly in honour of Jodie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7719888/Schoolgirl-who-died-of-meningitis-saves-four-lives-with-donated-organs.html

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 12:12:19 PM »
So sad to hear. Something very close to my heart as my mother was diagnosed with Pneumococcal Meningitis last year so I have experienced how awful this is. I spent 3 days in hospital by her bedside and witnessed a completely different person. She didn't know where she was, who any of her family was - nothing. Luckily she was treated in time thanks to great work from the doctors and nurses at Sunderland General and made a full recovery, but had we waited any longer before rushing her to hospital (and took the mis-information of the NHS direct hotline to 'take her to her JP in the morning') it would have been completely different.

Horrible disease that can take such young, healthy people. RIP and condolences to the families.
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt