Author Topic: Womens football photography  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Jaskirt Dhaliwal

• View Profile
Womens football photography
« on: December 13, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »
Hi,

I'm a photographer who has recently won an award from the Photo Imaging council on a body of work on female footballers, which will be exhibited at the Focus On Imaging exhibition at Birmingham's NEC from 25th - 28th February 2007,

Check out some of the photographs here on my website: www.flickr.com/photos/jaskirt

Read an article from the FA about the award too here: http://www.thefa.com/Womens/GettingInvolved/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2006/12/Picture_perfect.htm

Jaskirt Dhaliwal

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Womens football photography
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 02:20:33 PM »
Hi Jaskirt ! Welcome to the forum :)

I have seen your excellent photograph's on the Birmingham City Ladies website and saw the post about the award. Congratulations ! :)

Some great pictures of the girls. It is nice to see them featured in this way and hopefully it will all contribute to some extra recognition of the women's game.

Please feel free to post any links to your photograph's here anytime !
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 02:32:02 PM by David »

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Womens football photography
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 01:05:09 PM »
Jaskirt was also featured in a piece on Coventry University's website:-

A third year Media and Communication student at Coventry University has beaten off stiff national competition to win one of the top prizes in a Photo Imaging Council competition thanks to her fascination of women’s football.

Jaskirt Dhaliwal from Bearwood in the West Midlands visited some of the nation’s most famous football stadiums as well as some ordinary playing fields to take photographs of women footballers in action.

Her award-winning photographs focus on the anomaly that exists between the high profile status that male footballers enjoy compared to the "grass roots" level of the women’s game.

Jaskirt said about her award-winning submission:

"I explored the comparison of men’s football and the simplicity of women’s football. While male footballers are ranked as celebrities in a commercial and corporate world where media waits for new headlines, the exact opposite is true of female footballers who generally have to pay money to play.

"I wanted to explore the identity of these women and to explore the differences between the male and female games. In a time when male football has big money thrown at it, it is fantastic to see the flip side in women’s football where there is no money, but all the passion, commitment, dedication and love for the sport that there can be."

Jaskirt Dhaliwal is a reporter for BBC Birmingham online, a music journalist for BBC Asian Network and writes regular match reports on women’s football as well as having made a news feature on female footballer, Chelsea Weston, for BBC Hereford and Worcester local TV during the summer.

Jaskirt was one of two winners of the student PIC award and was awarded £700 by the Photo Imaging Council. Noritsu and Palm Laboratories generously sponsored all the processing and printing for her project.

The portraits taken by Jaskirt will be exhibited in February 2007 at the Focus On Imaging event at the NEC which is Europe’s biggest annual imaging show.

Not only does Jaskirt get the opportunity to exhibit her work at this prestigious event, but she also will gain many professional contacts as part of the prize.

http://www.coventry.ac.uk/latestnewsandevents/a/2578