Author Topic: This Has To Be A Late April Fool's Day Joke  (Read 1021 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This Has To Be A Late April Fool's Day Joke
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:38:24 AM »
The UNM athletic department sent out a press release on Wednesday promoting a Locks of Love campaign involving the women's soccer team and spearheaded by Elizabeth Lambert.

The most infamous hair pulling athlete in the history of women's soccer is helping promote an organization that provides hairpieces to children suffering from long term medical hair loss.  I'm sure UNM's intentions were good, but this idea sounds like a Jay Leno punchline or Sports Illustrated's "This Week's Sign Of The Apocalypse".  Couldn't UNM pick a different community service project to help Lambert repair her image?  The only thing Lambert is known for, worldwide!, is the fact she was caught on tape pulling a BYU player to the ground BY HER HAIR.  When I first read the release, I thought it was a joke.  Lambert may have a history with this organization, I don't know.  But considering Lambert was suspended from the team because of the infamous hair pulling incident I might find another charity to have her promote.  I think UNM needs a new public relations person.

If you are interested, here's the official release:

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The University of New Mexico women's soccer team is partnering with the UNM Women's Resource Center to assist with awareness for Locks of Love.

Thursday, April 22, the Lobos will collect hair donations outside UNM's Student Union Building for children suffering from long term medical hair loss from any diagnosis.

Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21.

"This is an unbelievable opportunity to help children in need," said Lobo head coach Kit Vela. "It's a great opportunity for our girls to reach out and give back, literally from themselves to others. We want to get the Lobo community together and get as much hair as we possibly can and send it to Locks of Love."

Senior-to-be Elizabeth Lambert spearheaded the event and is no stranger to the Locks of Love charity.

"This is a great cause and it's something that me and my whole family have taken part in before," said Lambert. "I have hair that will grow back, so why not donate it to kids who don't have any. I did it when I was a junior in high school and I have no problem helping out again. A custom-made hairpiece will help boost the self-esteem level of a child in need."

Participants in Locks of Love and all those in attendance will have a shot of winning free Lobo gear.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1523913.shtml?cat=10508