Author Topic: Nigeria in age dispute in women U-17 qualifiers  (Read 3999 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Nigeria in age dispute in women U-17 qualifiers
« on: April 20, 2010, 04:43:20 AM »
Nigeria's age grade football participation has again come under scrutiny after South Africa claimed the national U-17 team, the Flamingoes fielded a mature side in last weekend's 2010 Women's U-17 World Cup qualifiers.

The Flamingoes pummelled their South Africans 5-0 but a furious coach Solly Lovengo suggested his girls had lost through lack of fair play and not because they are not good enough to compete against their Nigerian counterparts.

Already aware that allegations of age cheats without providing concrete evidence might land them in trouble at FIFA, Lovengo carefully chose his words by emphasizing that Nigeria fielded a mature team but insists there is need for the global football body to ensure Nigeria and other countries respect fair play in a bid to ensure success.

Suspicions

To support his claims, the South African coach suggested Ugochi Oparanozie who scored four of Nigeria's goals would easily have achieved her scoring feat because she showed greater maturity over his young side.

"The Nigeria players are very mature, they don't make any mistakes. They are mature, they are bigger and stronger. I don't think anything serious went wrong with my team. Look at that number 9; she is not going to make mistakes and if you give her little chances, she is going to punish you," said Lovengo.

He continued: "We are always going to work hard, we are fair and we train normally and hope things are going to be fair everywhere. But it's not like that and it's difficult when things like this happen. Some of the things you can't say them but we know what happens in football and some of these things are disgraceful. It's bad for my players and I'm just saying that this is very, very bad for the spirit and the development of football, I hope we can do things fairly, not only Nigeria."

Meanwhile, Flamingos coach, Peter Dedevbo claimed the match was the first international game and that was what accounted for their sloppy performance in the opening half despite going ahead in the first minute of the game. It was not until the 75th minute before the Flamingos got the second goal, which was followed by another three goals in the last six minutes of the encounter.

Defence

"We started well but we struggled along the line because this was my girls' first international game. We are used to playing the ball on the ground and you could see we started playing well after getting the second. But even if we have won just by one goal, I am confident we will beat South Africa on their ground in the second leg," said the Flamingos handler who also believed Nigeria won due to a better arrangement in women football.

Coach Dedevbo may be wrong after all. Delta Queens striker, Oparanozie is no doubt an experienced player at this level of the game after featuring in the Flamingos' squad to the maiden edition of the Women's U-17 World Cup in New Zealand in 2008 at the age of 14 while playing for Bayelsa Queens. Oparanozie was also played a key role in the Falconets' qualification for the Women's U-20 World Cup which takes place in Germany later this year. She is however not the only player in the current Flamingos' squad who is experienced at the U-17 level.

Ngozi Okobi who scored the second goal against South Africa last weekend was also in the Flamingos' squad to New Zealand two years ago.

FIFA rules

Meanwhile, a cursory look at the FIFA regulations on the eligibility of players for the tournament seems to have given the two players a clean bill of health. Section 22 of the FIFA rules of the eligibility of players for the U-17 World Cup states thus:

1. Each Participating Member Association shall ensure the following when selecting its representative team for the World Cup:

a) all players shall be citizens of its country and subject to its jurisdiction; b) all players shall be eligible for selection in accordance with the FIFA Statutes and relevant FIFA regulations.

2. In addition to the above provision, each Participating Member Association shall ensure that all players of its representative team were born:

a) on or after 1 January 1990 for the FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup Germany 2010; b) on or after 1 January 1993 for the FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup Trinidad & Tobago 2010.

3. In addition to the above provisions, players selected for a representative team at the final competition of the FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup will not be authorised to compete again in the FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup, even if still eligible from the point of view of age. Players who have only taken part in the preliminary competition of a FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup are exempt from this restriction.

Both players on the basis of the above rules may be on their way to their second World U-17 tournament as the ages registered at the last competition was 14/12/ 93 for Ngozi Okobi and 17/12/93 for Oparanozie Ugochi.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Sport/Football/5557085-147/nigeria_in_age_dispute_in_women.csp

Sylvain

Re: Nigeria in age dispute in women U-17 qualifiers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 12:31:17 AM »
lol, it is an old trick well known in France for example. You had it in youth team games where some players were declared younger as they really were 8)

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 05:37:02 PM »
a scenario which is not new - suffice to say the actual date of birth of some African born players is different from that which is listed in record books

I know of one famous male international who, if asked how old he was, was "under orders" to reply that he was born on DD/MM/YYYY (deliberately not given as to avoid actually identifying him, but anyone with reasonable decent stats might be able to deduce who I am referring to)

Sylvain

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »
Roger Milla  ;D

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 07:14:34 PM »
Roger Milla  ;D

non, son d-o-b est 19/05/1952