Author Topic: Iraq - a poem  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Iraq - a poem
« on: January 28, 2010, 06:21:32 PM »
Iraq
Of course if I can help in any way
by Sean O'Brien

May we begin? Please tell us what you said
Or did, or saw the others do or say
Or see, or write, or somehow intimate.
We're anxious to be clear on all the facts.
...But no.  You think it's wiser if instead
You don't do that.  You haven't got all day.
How could we grasp the interests of the state,
The angel-subtleties its work exacts?
Are we suggesting you might swerve
From righteousness? Why should we need to know?
Who do we think we're talking to like this
When - okay, look - God's asked you to preserve
His plans from scrutiny? You smile, you go.
Outside your creatures queue to take the piss.

The Times 27-01-2010
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:02:18 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
Re: Iraq - a poem
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 10:44:51 PM »
I'm not a fan of poems, but did hear that Tony B Liar today said that Saddam was a threat to the world.

Bush and Bliar were a bigger threat - and their compatriots still are!!!
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 11:18:26 AM »
Does that mean us?  ;D
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline treble99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 12:15:10 AM »
Does that mean us?  ;D

Thought we were the USA's 54th state??

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 03:42:28 PM »
Maybe, but most of our taxes go in the opposite direction.  In a way I think that is a good thing, we have to trade, but the self-serving bureacracy is a disgrace, I think few people would disagree.  But they are sitting pretty, no-one can criticise them without being branded as a little-Englander.  And those politicians that oppose Europe are an unsavoury collection :) I don't know how long it will take us to grow up and separate realism about the European Parliament and Commission from crude xenophobia.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 03:48:52 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 02:51:35 AM »
Maybe, but most of our taxes go in the opposite direction.  In a way I think that is a good thing, we have to trade, but the self-serving bureacracy is a disgrace, I think few people would disagree.  But they are sitting pretty, no-one can criticise them without being branded as a little-Englander.  And those politicians that oppose Europe are an unsavoury collection :) I don't know how long it will take us to grow up and separate realism about the European Parliament and Commission from crude xenophobia.

I just don't want people like Bliar and Bush telling the world what to do.

I'm totally pro EC - even if they make mistakes.

I'm certainly not xenophobic :o

As I heard on the radio last night; why have we still had suicide bombers if Bliar felt that bombing families an Iraq and killing Saddam made the UK a safer place?
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 12:59:03 PM »
I just don't want people like Bliar and Bush telling the world what to do.
I'm totally pro EC - even if they make mistakes.
I'm certainly not xenophobic :o
As I heard on the radio last night; why have we still had suicide bombers if Bliar felt that bombing families an Iraq and killing Saddam made the UK a safer place?

Well, they are out on their ear now so that's good.

I'm pro-EC as well, just don't see why the bureaucrats should wallow in it the way they do.  We have not managed to decouple one from the other yet after 37 years :)  About xenophobia - it's a charge made by the fat cats of the European Parliament and Commission when anyone challenges their greedy life with no idea of financial controls - and no need to account to the voters.  Who's interested in Euro elections? it's in their interests to make the whole thing as boring as possible and all parties are the same  :)  Whenever there is talk of reform, we know who is not going to be willing to reform themselves :)  They still move the whole parliament across Europe every 4 months - how much does that cost? who cares? :)

I'm not here to defend Blair but there is the possibility that we might have had 10 bombers instead of one (logically) although I guess most people would disagree and there's no way to prove it.
Alltid. Uansett.

Sylvain

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 02:00:56 PM »
I think it's time the Euro come here  ;D

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 02:05:13 PM »
I'm not here to defend Blair but there is the possibility that we might have had 10 bombers instead of one (logically) although I guess most people would disagree and there's no way to prove it.

There is also the fact that there were terrorist attacks, USS Cole and World Trade Centre 1993, before either Iraq or Afghanistan.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 03:19:27 PM »
Hi Billy: long time . . . when are u going to cover Kolbotn again?  you are needed :)

By the way I found that the European Parliament has no power to decide where it will sit .  .  .  how clever is that?  "Sorry about our disgraceful wastes of money - we'd love to do something about it but we haven't got the power to . . we hate it but we are forced to screw you lot" etc etc ;D  
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:24:13 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 04:55:11 PM »
Hi Billy: long time . . . when are u going to cover Kolbotn again?  you are needed :)

Hi, I won't be doing that anymore. It was enjoyable at the time, but ultimately too time consuming. But I still pop in and read things.

Players move on as well, and many have retired too from when I saw the WNT a years ago, so I don't quite relate to it all in the same way.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 06:51:21 PM »
Yes, Kristine Lindbom the captain left for Sweden after last season, and I was thinking that just about all her old mates had gone - Solveig, Trine, Ingvild, Camilla Huse, Tonje Hansen, Silje Kopka da Fonseca, Cecilie Berg-Hansen, Colombo, Wang Andersen, Kristin Blystad Bjerke, even Nora Berge, Schjelderup and Herlovsen among the younger ones.  She must have felt out of place.  
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:53:19 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 07:19:02 PM »
I was really referring to the national team... but yes lots of players have left Kolbotn. You can add Ane Stangeland and Ingvild Stensland to the list too. I suppose Kolbotn have at least kept their identity though whilst some of the other teams have been 'adopted', and have been rebadged. Maybe that's the future... I don't know

Incidentally, I don't need to follow a team that is full of stars or is achieving success though, and that is pretty obvious from the rugby team I follow.  :D