Author Topic: National team 2010  (Read 61112 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
National team 2010
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:25:57 PM »
There is a rumour on the Stabæk forum that Siri Nordeide Grønli is in the national squad to go to La Manga later in the month.  It has not been confirmed anywhere and there is no information about whether anyone else has dropped out from the squad.  Initial squad list is on:
http://womensfootball.eu/forum/index.php/topic,4523.msg43459.html#msg43459
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: National team 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 11:39:02 PM »
Is it something to do with this ?

http://www.stabak.no/kvinner/article9239.ece

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:44:51 AM »
Thanks for that David, I missed it last night . .

At the year's first ice-cold training session Siri Nordeide Grønli came up with the warming news that she is in the national squad that will train in La Manga on January 12-17.  So she will be with Ingrid Hjelmseth, Toril Akerhaugen, Trine Rønning, Lise Klaveness and Solveig Gulbrandsen who are already on the trip to Spain where they will play friendlies against China and England.

"At Christmas I had the message that someone had pulled out, so that's why I have the chance to go now", said Siri happily.  She has been in the squad before but did not go to Finland for the European Cup in the summer.

"Yes, I have been in the squad before, last year, then I was left out for the Euros, so now I have got the last place it will be fun to be in again", she said.

With luck there will be fewer frostbitten fingernails in Spain.  At Tuesday's training session, the first with new trainer Roger Finjord, the thermometer at Nadderud showed -18 degrees.

"It was ice-cold . . but it was very exciting because we have a new trainer and he is a good chap so I was very pleased.  I have just driven over from the west country today, but it was a very good session and I think things will be good with Roger" she said.

At training the girls did some one-touch football, which we like at Stabæk.  "Yes, it goes with what we are used to.  It was also great to see all the girls again, it helped a little with the cold".  Siri guarantees that 2010 will be Stabæk's year.   

Lars Jarle Mæhlum, Eirik Fossum
Article + video:  http://www.stabak.no/kvinner/article9239.ece
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Norway exporting more players than ever before
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »
Since the autumn nine of Norway's best players from the Toppserien have signed for foreign clubs.  National team trainer Eli Landsem thinks this will improve the national team but weaken Norwegian clubs.  "In the short term the Toppserien will be weakened, but for the national team it could work the other way after the players gain experience and good training in other leagues", said Landsem to NRK.

Players have been exported to teams in the USA, Sweden, France and Germany, and more players than ever before have gone.  Norwegian players have become attractive on the transfer market.  Solveig Gulbrandsen is happy to be playing in the American league.  "Travelling to the USA to play in front of large crowds, experiencing a different life-style and a change of surroundings is something you cannot turn down", said Gulbrandsen.

Olav Traaen http://www.nrksport.no/fotball/1.6931539
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Peter K

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 11:51:53 AM »
I was watching the NRK news last night and they had a piece on Eli Landsem's belief that the players should be playing more against boys (it featured a clip of the Oslo-based National Team players, playing against a boys team at Vallhallen). In that I saw Siri, so that makes sense that she is now in with the squad. Any mention of whose place she has took? I am thinking possibly Camilla Huse? A complete guess, but I haven't heard anything about her changing clubs and after what took place with her at the end of last season at Roa (coming in as a sub in the final 20 minutes of the Cup final and then sounding off in the newspaper about it), I was guessing she probably wouldn't have on the red jersey this year. Between that and Gronli as an outside back coming in to take someone's place and no word on any injuries, could that be a good guess? Has anyone heard anything re: Huse?

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
Re: Norway exporting more players than ever before
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 12:29:23 PM »
Since the autumn nine of Norway's best players from the Toppserien have signed for foreign clubs. 

OK, quiz: list the nine

Gulbrandsen, Wiik, Herlovsen, Colombo Nilsen, Mykjåland, Schjelderup, Holstad Berge, obviously, but apart from these? Thora Helgadottir? Lisa Marie Woods (who's training with Stabæk and might not move)? The Nigerians?
For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name / He writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 12:32:20 PM »
I was wondering about that as well, and I thought it was a bit slack of Olav not to give us a list  . . :)
Maybe he is stretching a point and including Ingvild Stensland and Leni Larsen Kaurin?
It's news to me that Woods is training with Stabæk and I bet the Asker mafia will be doing their best to persuade her to stay.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 12:36:27 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 12:33:04 PM »
I was watching the NRK news last night and they had a piece on Eli Landsem's belief that the players should be playing more against boys (it featured a clip of the Oslo-based National Team players, playing against a boys team at Vallhallen). In that I saw Siri, so that makes sense that she is now in with the squad. Any mention of whose place she has took? I am thinking possibly Camilla Huse? A complete guess, but I haven't heard anything about her changing clubs and after what took place with her at the end of last season at Roa (coming in as a sub in the final 20 minutes of the Cup final and then sounding off in the newspaper about it), I was guessing she probably wouldn't have on the red jersey this year. Between that and Gronli as an outside back coming in to take someone's place and no word on any injuries, could that be a good guess? Has anyone heard anything re: Huse?

Nope, still confused re Huse - the last thing in the media was that mouth-off to the local paper, since then there's been zero news. Given that there's seven defenders (and that's counting Trine Rønning) and nine forwards in the squad, it wouldn't have been unreasonable to call up another defender even without someone leaving. But it does say that there was a pull out, so maybe your speculation is correct.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name / He writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 01:34:05 PM »
I was wondering about that as well, and I thought it was a bit slack of Olav not to give us a list  . .
Maybe he is stretching a point and including Ingvild Stensland and Leni Larsen Kaurin?

Nah. "Since last autumn" is pretty clear. Even Traaen can't stretch that to mean "since autumn 2006".

I'm fairly sure Thora H. is the eighth - he's saying "nine of the best players in the Norwegian Toppserie" - which doesn't exclude foreigners.

Offline Peter K

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 02:27:31 PM »
Lindblom (Kolbotn captain) has signed with Jitex in Sweden. That list of players leaving the Toppserien then becomes 6 of Kolbotn's best last year, plus Lene M, Gulbrandsen and Wiik. Its looking like unexpected success has its consequences!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 02:45:04 PM by Peter K »

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 02:33:16 PM »
Lindblom (Kolbotn captain) has signed with Jitex. Poor Kolbotn has taken the biggest hit, success has its consequences :)

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 10:13:42 PM »
Huse is the one missing out, yes.

Also Marie Knutsen (not another ****ing injury...) replaced by Klepp's Gry Tofte Ims. A defensive midfielder (source: watching the cup semi, where to be fair all Klepp players were defensive) in for an attacking one.

http://www.fotball.no/Landslag_og_toppfotball/Landslag/A-kvinner/2010/Landsem-mottatt-to-forfall-til-La-Manga/

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Idrettsgalla 2010
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 12:03:11 AM »
Some viewing for Sunday, with some familiar faces, the annual TV sports gala:
http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/593674

The team prize was between the national women's handball team and the women's football team.  The handball team won bronze in the World Cup in China, while the football girls won bronze in the European Cup.  The prize went to the football team, perhaps proving that over there it's good to win medals, but beating Sweden is what really counts :)  

Accepting the prize were Caro Knutsen, Ingvild Isaksen, Maren Mjelde and Marita Skammelsrud Lund, with Bjarne Berntsen.  Caro spoke up for the team, and ironically thanked her five Røa teammates who did not play in the Euros.  The video clip is on: http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/indeks/196883

She hopes they will take her remarks in fun.  "I have not checked my in-box yet", she said.  "They are a good crowd and I think they know me well enough to know how it is meant".

"It was a little internal joke.  They sent substitutes from the European Cup team here tonight, so we are here by luck.  If the five players from Røa had played in the Euros, very few of us would be here tonight", said Caro to TV 2 Sport.

"So they won't be upset?" - "No, I am very happy with them and I think they know that.  But maybe I will hear something about it", said Caroline Knutsen with a smile.

Steinar Flesland
Article and video clip: http://msn.tv2sporten.no/fotball/toppserien/roeakeeperen-hetset-lagvenninnene-3095882.html

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:46:29 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
In place at La Manga
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 01:57:57 PM »
This week the Norwegian team is in La Manga for the year's first gathering.  Chief trainer Eli Landsem is using the timw to let the players show what they can do.  "We are aiming to make a list and agree on the things we need to do.  We have 24 players here, and there are many who will show their skills", she said to fotball.no.  "The idea is to make a start and watch the players".

The biggest surprise was the selection of Arna-Bjørnar's Ingrid Ryland.  The talented back has been good in national youth teams for some years, and now has a chance at the highest level.  "We are looking for new players.  Ingrid is a players who is quick and has a big capacity for running.  We need to see how she is tactically at this level.  She is a player we will see more of", said Landsem.

China and England are also at La Manga.  At 18.00 today Norway will play China, and they will meet England at the same time on Friday.  "It's good that we are having these matches.  It sets a high standard from the start.  I have not seen China for a while and am a little uncertain about them, but they are well prepared for the European tour.  England is a big team that reached the European Cup Final last year", said the trainer.

She promises match-time to all the players.  "They will all play as long as they are fit.  So we will really be turning out two teams", said Eli Landsem.

Erlend Marius Aas http://www.fotball.no/Landslag_og_toppfotball/Landslag/A-kvinner/2010/--Mange-far-vise-seg-frem/
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 09:50:25 PM »
Norway - China 0-1

China scored midway through the second half, and Landsem claims "the first half was good; however, it's obviously offseason".

No lineups yet.

http://nrksport.no/fotball/1.6945145

(thanks due to Olav Traaen, afaics with breaking news)

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 10:58:24 PM »
And now, a proper match report

---
Empty and lethargic against China

The Norwegian girls noticed they were out of season, and tran out of energy during the 0-1 loss to China in the first match of the year.

The Norwegian women's national team opened the 2010 season with a 0-1 loss to China

"We were level with them for one half, then ran out. However, it's obviously the offseason," Landsem tells fotball.no

The Norwegian girls arrived at La Manga yesterday, and have had little time to prepare.

"We've worked a bit on defensive plays, but haven't spent a lot of time together. We didn't really have any sort of attacking game," the national team coach admits. Before the match, Landsem was uncertain about China's level.

"They had good players, and they managed to keep in the same gear throughout the match. We fell down through the second half," she explains.

Landsem has selected a 24-player squad, and will give everyone an opportunity to show their skills during the stay at La Manga. Even if Norway lost, she was satisfied with the answers the match gave.

"I never like losing, but it was a useful workout. The players got a chance to show themselves, and I got some good answers."

On Friday, another tough opponent awaits, with the Norwegian girls testing themselves against last year's Euro finalists ENgland.

"We've been testing two line-ups this week. Now we'll use tomorrow to prepare those who will play against England, and recovery for those who played today.

Norway 0 China 1 (Han Duan 60)

attendance 50 at La Manga Club
no bookings

Norway (4-4-2, right to left I'm assuming, though the line-up seems experimental tstl): Christine Colombo Nilsen - Hedda Strand Gardsjord, Ingvild Stensland, Marit Fiane Christensen, Maritha Skammelsrud Lund (Toril Hetland Akerhaugen 71') - Siri Nordeide Grønli (Anneli Giske 71'), Lene Storløkken, Gry Tofte Ims, Lise Klaveness (Leni Larsen Kaurin 46') - Melissa Wiik, Elise Thorsnes

Erlend Marius Aas http://www.fotball.no/Landslag_og_toppfotball/Landslag/A-kvinner/2010/Gikk-tomme-mot-Kina/

---

Strand Gardsjord apparently pulled from thin air...(not that I mind Røa players being called up and played in-position)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:04:11 PM by Samuel Vimes »

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 01:14:47 AM »
Hedda was brought in when Kristin Lie couldn't go for some reason.

Today's goal was show in a very quick clip on the 21.25 sports news tonight on TV 2.  It showed Hedda jogging back towards the goal line behind Colombo, who had gone out to meet the shot, when if she had moved more quickly she might have been able to clear the ball off the line.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 01:32:24 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 01:38:44 PM »
Experimental to say the least (it's confimed by Aftenposten):
Norway
Christine Colombo Nilsen - While probably a better keeper than Hjelmseth, it is probably unwise to replace Hjelmseth unless Hjelmseth has actually messed up. At least after the Euros.
Hedda Strand Gardsjord - While among the better right backs, she was thrown in at the last minute.
Ingvild Stensland - Well, obviously, but in defense?
Marit Fiane Christensen - Well, obviously.
Maritha Skammelsrud Lund - well, aside from Huse, there are no obvious choices. Lund is good, though, but isn't she a right back/middle defender?
Siri Nordeide Grønli - Right wing makes some sense, I suppose, but she lacks the venom of Anneli Giske
Lene Storløkken - no surprise, despite some poor performances after the Euros.
Gry Tofte Ims - good on her!
Lise Klaveness - see Storløkken
Melissa Wiik - OK
Elise Thorsnes - OK

But Eli Landsem said that everyone got to play. So she probably doesn't mind all that much.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 02:14:49 PM »
But Eli Landsem said that everyone got to play. So she probably doesn't mind all that much.

Yeah, I mean, this is as pointless as friendlies get. Two weeks since they all ate themselves silly on Christmas food. Might as well try Stensland, she can't be worse than Rønning.

Will lose a few ranking points over it though (but Norway's chances of being top three were minuscule anyway).

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 02:46:42 PM »
I don't think it's a bad result given that the Norway side was an experimental one, while China undoubtedly turned up yesterday with the sole aim of having revenge from the last match these teams played, in front of 50,000 spectators and a home TV audience of hundreds of millions - the quarter-final of the World Cup.
Alltid. Uansett.