Author Topic: A tribute to Brittany Murphy  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
A tribute to Brittany Murphy
« on: December 21, 2009, 08:15:12 PM »
A tribute to Brittany Murphy
Mon Dec 21 01:44PM by Movies Editor

Brittany Murphy first shot to fame in the 1995 hit comedy 'Clueless' as Tai, the fashion-challenged transfer student whom Alicia Silverstone's Cher takes under her wing. The role suited comedienne Murphy and helped to progress her career from TV sit-com star to film star.

After a string of independent films showing off her versatility as an actress she returned to the teenage comedy genre playing Lisa in 1999's 'Drop Dead Gorgeous' alongside Kirsten Dunst and Denise Richards.

Murphy won critical acclaim for her intense role as a suicidal teenager obsessed with roast chicken in 'Girl, Interrupted' in 2000 - the film that saw Angelina Jolie pick up an Academy Award. That same year Murphy also took the lead role in horror film Cherry Falls.

But her biggest year by far was 2003, when she featured as Alex in drama '8 Mile' with rapper Eminem and romantic comedy 'Just Married' in which she co-starred as a crazy bride alongside her then real-life boyfriend Ashton Kutcher.

In 2005 Murphy appeared as Shellie, the strip club waitress with a soft spot for the wrong guys, in director Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller's visually-arresting adaptation of comic book series 'Sin City'. Murphy's character helped tie the various story arcs together by appearing in multiple sequences, most notably in 'The Big Fat Kill' where her character is terrorized by the corrupt Jackie Boy, played by Benicio del Toro. She is then saved by Clive Owen's tough-but-nobel Dwight.

She also lent her vocal talents to animations like 'The King of the Hill' on TV (as aspiring beautician Luanne), and 2006's family film 'Happy Feet', for which she sang 'Boogie Wonderland' and 'Somebody to Love' in the role of Gloria.

Hollywood tributes

Brittany's 'Just Married' co-star and former boyfriend Ashton Kutcher, posted on his Twitter site: "See you on the other side kid ... 2day the world lost a little piece of sunshine. My deepest condolences go out 2 Brittany’s family, her husband, & her amazing mother Sharon."

Alicia Silverstone, who starred with Murphy in 1995's 'Clueless', said, "I always felt connected to her as we shared a very special experience in our lives together. I feel love in my heart for her – and hope she is at peace. This is truly sad."

Murphy's 'Girl, Interrupted' co-star Whoopie Goldberg said, "It is a terrible loss for us as actors and to the industry but even greater for her family. My thoughts and prayers are with them."

Lindsay Lohan added: "My deepest condolences go out to all of Brittany Murphy's loved ones & may she rest in peace. She was a great talent w/a beautiful soul xo."

Co-star Denise Richards said, "Brittany Murphy was in Drop Dead Gorgeous with me and was the sweetest and most adorable. Tragic, sad and devastating. Her poor family."

Murphy was discovered unconscious in the shower by her mother. She was pronounced dead by the time the emergency services had arrived at the hospital. An autopsy report is expected over the next few days.

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
Re: A tribute to Brittany Murphy
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 11:29:42 PM »
It's always sad when you read about people dying so young, for whatever reason and whether or not you know them  :'(
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(