Author Topic: Wales launch Women's Premier League  (Read 5015 times)

Offline Gooner

• View Profile
Wales launch Women's Premier League
« on: October 09, 2009, 01:35:55 PM »
  • FA puts Super League back on the agenda

As the Football Association was belatedly putting the Super League back on the agenda last week, the FA of Wales was launching its own version with eight teams starting an inaugural Women's Premier League campaign that will end with the winners qualifying for next season's European Champions League.

"We are keen to develop the women's game in Wales and create a clearer pathway to our improving international team," said the league secretary, John Deakin. "We aim to raise standards and hopefully in future we won't see so many Welsh players going to English clubs or elsewhere."

Of the 34-player pool from which the Wales team is at present selected, only Swansea City's Alicia Powe will be playing in the new league. Twenty are spread around 10 English clubs, while the biggest contributor, Cardiff City, with seven players, are – like their male counterparts – in England's league system.

Cardiff were prepared to become founder members of the new league but only on their own terms. "We would have put a reserve or youth team in," said the secretary, Karen Jones, "but if we had to go in with our first team we'd lose most of our players because the standards won't be high enough."

Cardiff's decision has effectively cost them the chance of further European Football. They have qualified for the last seven years by winning the Welsh Cup but, with the nation's only Champions League place now going to the League winners, the Bluebirds have no chance for the foreseeable future, having dropped out of the English Premier League into the Southern Division.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/oct/04/women-football-super-league

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
Re: Wales launch Women's Premier League
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
It's been complicated for quite a few years regarding Wales having its own league - both male and female.

As far as the ladies go, it has seemed a bit daft that Cardiff have struggled in the English Premier yet get the chance in Europe by winning the Welsh FA Cup, whereas generally only the winners of the Prem got to play in Europe (apart from when Everton had a chance as runners-up after Arsenal won the Uefa Cup and played as holders).
But, teams have had to decide which FA they want to align with.

Some men's teams prefer to stay in the English set-up, but only teams who play under the FAW set-up are now allowed to play in the Welsh Cup, so we don't have the silly system that some English league teams (eg Shrewsbury, Chester - when they were doing better) were playing in the Welsh Cup, yet not allowed to represent Wales in Europe if they won it, and the same applied to teams like Cardiff City.

Teams such as Rhyl can now play in the early stages in the ECL - unheard of previously (even if they did gett a hammering off Partisan Belgrade this season).

As far as the women's system goes - they are getting more like the men's - and the team who are probably the best in North Wales (Caernarfon Town) have moved from the English set-up to the Welsh.

Interestingly, the first ever game in the new Welsh Premier league (Aberystwyth v Llanidloes) attracted a crowd of 348, which was about 50% larger than the attendance at Everton v Røa, and nearly double the attendance at Borehamwood for Arsenal's game v PAOK (although, to be fair, that was unimportant after the first leg).

They won't always get big crowds, but, it's a start, and I just wonder why the English FA are taking so long to get their act going.
Maybe it's a different attitude in Wales amongst the people in charge: when do you see the top officials of the FA at women's games in England, apart from Cup finals? And then, they don't actually mix with the crowd.
But, I've met a senior bloke from the FAW, as have at least a couple of other posters on here, and found him easy to talk to.

The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline spectator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 07:10:36 PM »

"There has been a lot of work recently developing women's football within Wales and the league is key to that development," said Tucker.

"It can only be a benefit to the national team and hopefully it will enable us to identify players, not only for the u17 and u19 national squads, but also for the senior side too."

Created date: 01/10/2009 - 12:13
                                                            The words of WALES team manager, and theres me thinking that the first criteria to be a welsh international was to play football in England,funny that they can identify these players when they play for english clubs.

Offline spectator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 10:49:08 PM »
Heres the Welsh Under 17s girls team to play England
http://www.faw.org.uk/news/1514
Note only four players from teams playing in the Welsh Leagues and only two players in the Welsh premier teams all subs, this from a manager when girls football development officer for Gwynedd i never saw in even one game of girls football and that was a lot of games. so not suprising the lack of Welsh League players in the team.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 12:10:23 AM »
Heres the Welsh Under 17s girls team to play England
http://www.faw.org.uk/news/1514
Note only four players from teams playing in the Welsh Leagues and only two players in the Welsh premier teams all subs, this from a manager when girls football development officer for Gwynedd i never saw in even one game of girls football and that was a lot of games. so not suprising the lack of Welsh League players in the team.

I'm not really surprised - it was a bit similar when the Euro U19s played a couple of years ago :(
The qualifying games were played in North Wales, but we just had a couple of token players as reserves to the squad.

If it's anything like the England set up, the manager doesn't turn up to many games.
Hope Powell was at the final Everton v Arsenal game last year, but she must have already known the players she wanted in her squad.

And, the England U19s etc have Mo Marley as manager. She's manager of Everton, so can only usually see players (apart from Everton ones) when they play against her team.

I'd imagine the FAW have a list that is more or less sorted without watching the league games :(
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(