Author Topic: Atlanta Beat & Philadelphia Independence Prepare to Build Foundation  (Read 1838 times)

shlj

Women’s Professional Soccer’s two expansion teams joining the league for 2010, the Philadelphia Independence and the Atlanta Beat, will begin forming their rosters next Tuesday, September 15 when the WPS Expansion Draft takes place between the two expansion teams and the seven WPS teams that played in 2009.

Atlanta will select first and fourth in the 2009 Expansion Draft, while Philadelphia will have selections #2 and #3. Selections following the fourth pick will alternate. Philadelphia will have selections 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17. Atlanta will feature selections 1, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18.

The results of the 2009 Expansion Draft will be published on womensprosoccer.com on Tuesday evening, September 15. The 2009 International Draft for expansion teams will be Tuesday, September 22.

Basic draft mechanics are as follows:

2009 Expansion Draft – September 15 (via teleconference)

* Existing teams may protect up to 10 players (but must leave a minimum of 6 unprotected)
    * Expansion teams must each select one player from each existing team prior to selecting a second player from an existing team. This will also hold true after a 2nd player is selected from an existing team.
    * Existing teams may protect two after losing their first player
    * Existing teams may protect one after losing their second player
    * An existing team may not lose more than three players
    * Expansion teams may each select a total of nine players

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/news/general/090911-philly-atl-expansion.aspx

2 things got my attention : firstly they can nick players from other teams obviously not the best ones who are protected but still I find it funny. I mean can't they find 20 good players in the pool of available players not in other WPS teams  ???

Also next week is international draft. Most of the England players have central contracts so cannot go there but those who don't have one could be drafted especially after the superb euro results and the success of those already there last season.

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
Re: Atlanta Beat & Philadelphia Independence Prepare to Build Foundation
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:20:36 PM »
With the first pick in the WPS Expansion Draft the Atlanta Beat selected Leigh Ann Robinson, formerly of FC Gold Pride.  The Philadelphia Independence then tabbed Lori Lindsey, formerly of the Washington Freedom, with the seccond overall pick.

SAN FRANCISCO, CA (September 15, 2009) – Women’s Professional Soccer held the WPS Expansion Draft on Tuesday for its two 2010 expansion clubs, the Atlanta Beat and the Philadelphia Independence. Each team was able to select up to nine players from other WPS teams that played the 2009 season. Initially, existing teams were able to protect up to 10 players – adding two more protected players after losing a player. No team could lose more than three players and expansion teams collectively had to select one player from each existing team prior to selecting a second player from an existing team. In addition, the expansion teams collectively had to select a second player from each existing team prior to selecting a third player from an existing team. One international was selected in Saint Louis Athletica’s Sara Larsson, who was tabbed by Atlanta.

With the 14th pick, Atlanta passed and with the 15th pick, Philadelphia passed concluding the 2009 WPS Expansion Draft.

The results of the 2009 WPS Expansion Draft:

Selection  Player    Position Previous Team
1.) Atlanta          Leigh Ann Robinson      D      FC Gold Pride
2.) Philadelphia   Lori Lindsey                 M      Washington Freedom
3.) Philadelphia   Jen Buczkowski            D      Sky Blue FC
4.) Atlanta          Amanda Cinalli             F      Saint Louis Athletica
5.) Philadelphia   Nikki Krzysik                D      Chicago Red Stars
6.) Atlanta          Katie Larkin                 D/M   Los Angeles Sol
7.) Philadelphia   Sue Weber                  D       Boston Breakers
Second Round
8.) Atlanta          Sharolta Nonen           D        Los Angeles Sol
9.) Philadelphia   Sarah Senty                D        Washington Freedom
10.) Atlanta        Sara Larsson               D        Saint Louis Athletica
11.) Philadelphia Danesha Adams          M        Chicago Red Stars
12.) Atlanta        Noelle Keselica            F         Sky Blue FC  
13.) Philadelphia Kelly Schmedes           F         Boston Breakers
14.) Atlanta        Pass
15.) Philadelphia Pass

About Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS)
Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) is the premier women’s soccer league in the world and the global standard by which women’s professional sports are measured.  The Inaugural Season kicked off in March 2009 with seven WPS teams based in the Bay Area, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New Jersey/New York, St. Louis, and Washington, D.C.  The league’s eighth and nine franchises, Philadelphia and Atlanta, will begin play in the 2010 WPS Season, which begins March 2010.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/news/press_releases/090915-expansion-draft-results.aspx

The only real surprise for me is, Kelly Schmedes.

Interesting point, St. Louis were the only team to loose an international player, I assume this means they get the opportunity to draft an international next week, along with Atlanta and Philly. Sanderson (who doesn't have a central contract if I remember rightly) back with Aluko maybe?  :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:30:30 PM by Rach_83 »

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 01:03:02 PM »
Interesting point, St. Louis were the only team to loose an international player, I assume this means they get the opportunity to draft an international next week, along with Atlanta and Philly. Sanderson (who doesn't have a central contract if I remember rightly) back with Aluko maybe?  :)

I wonder!
It will be interesting to see next week if any more England ladies are picked

shlj

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 02:21:03 PM »
The only real surprise for me is, Kelly Schmedes.
I think Katie Larkin did well for the Sol and I remember her with the  USA U23, so it is a bit surprising she was not protected.

shlj

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 12:19:39 PM »
Philadelphia Independence will select Caroline Seger as number 1 choice apparently.
http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/sections/wps2.php?article_id=19832

I just wonder if WPS team would take a bet on International players that are not full internationals like some U23 players. We know LA did take one Swedish U23 player so it would be possible to see some England youngsters who are not under central contract to be drafted.