Author Topic: Irish women set for FIFA World Cup Qualifiers  (Read 2014 times)

shlj

Irish women set for FIFA World Cup Qualifiers
« on: September 14, 2009, 11:42:37 AM »
The Republic of Ireland women's senior side begin the road to the FIFA World Cup 2011 with two qualifiers against Switzerland in Wohlen and Kazakhstan in Turners Cross, Cork on September 19th and 24th respectively.

Joining the Republic of Ireland in group 6 are, Russia, Switzerland, Israel and Kazakhstan. The winners of each group will progress to the play-offs on 11th/12th and 15th/16th September 2010, producing four qualifiers for the finals to joins the hosts and holders, Germany. The defeated sides will then compete in further play-offs for a chance to meet a team from the CONCACAF region for a further finals berth from 26th June until 17th July 2011.

Under the guidance of manager, Noel King, the Irish came to within 90 minutes of qualifying for the EURO 2009 finals in Finland when they were defeated 3-0 by Iceland in freezing conditions in Reykjavik following a 1-1 draw in the first leg at Richmond Park.

Preparations for the upcoming FIFA World Cup qualifying tournament are in full-swing and the Republic of Ireland squad have just returned to Ireland following a historic 10-week training camp in Indiana, USA which included four victories against some of Americas top sides with a solitary defeat coming in their final game against Notre Dame University.

Looking ahead to the upcoming campaign, Noel King said, "I am extremely excited about the prospects of this qualifying campaign. We were bitterly disappointed at losing out on a final place at EURO 2009 - that shows how far we have come as a team when we can realistically challenge some of the top teams in Europe for qualification to finals. We desperately want to improve on that finish and I believe that the hard work and effort given by all of the players in the training camp in Indiana has gone some way in ensuring that we are fully prepared for the qualifiers."

"Our first opponents, Switzerland will be a very tough task to kick-start the campaign. I have no doubt that they have spent a lot of time together in camp. They are a professional and organised side, we have met in the previous World Cup qualifying campaign so I am expecting a huge battle in Wohlen on September 19th," said King.

Speaking of his sides meeting with Kazakhstan in Turners Cross on September 24th, King added, "I am very excited about bringing the squad to Turners Cross for what I believe is the very first World Cup qualifier to be played in Cork. I have visited Cork a number of times in the past year and I was blown away by the growth and passion in women's football in the county. This is a place where the women's game is continuing to flourish, it was a logical step to bring an international game to Turners Cross and hopefully every strand of football in the county will come out and support the team on the night. Kazakhstan is somewhat of an unknown quantity but they have played Northern Ireland in the EURO 2009 qualifiers and I have been speaking to my counterpart in the IFA, Alfie Wylie about the threats that they pose," added King.

Republic of Ireland squad to face Switzerland/Kazakhstan

Emma Byrne - Arsenal
Niamh Fahey - Arsenal
Mary T McDonnell - Chicago Red Stars
Ciara Grant - Arsenal
Stefanie Curtis - Bristol Rovers
Yvonne Treacy - Arsenal
Jemma Connor - Birmingham
Fiona O'Sullivan - San Francisco Storm
Aine O'Gorman - Stella Maris
Meabh de Burca - Salthill Devon
Shannon McDonnell - Chicago
Sonya Hughes - Tolka Rovers
Michele O'Brien - Jersey Sky Blue
Alisha Moran - New York Athletic
Marie Curtin - Lifford
Lynn Bradley - Raheny United
Diane Caldwell - Dundalk
Stephanie Roche - Raheny United

Manager
Noel King

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100287:irish-women-set-for-fifa-world-cup-qualifiers&catid=9:senior-women&Itemid=13